What's Sex Got to Do With... Where you grew up?

I was having a conversation with my parents recently and we were talking about some struggles that I may have had during my childhood. The main thing that we talked about was the fact that I lived in England for a year when I was 4 and came back with a British accent and different social norms than other kids my age. My parents were very worried that people would not accept me in American public schools because I was different. They were also worried that kids my age might label me as "gay" because they didn't know any better. They were not concerned about it but they thought that my childhood would be easier if I was converted back into having an American accent and practicing American social norms. What do you guys think about this?? Should I have continued practicing British customs or was converting back the right thing to do?