Whats sex got to do with...Height?

I was just talking to one of my friends and we discussed how I (a male) would never date a female who is taller then me and my friend (a female) would never date a guy who is shorter than her. I began to think about what this has to do with our sexual preferences and what we look for in a significant other. For males is it the height that also says something about protection and feeling safe, or having a better social status or being able to provide resources to the female?? Do you lose all of that masculinity protection when you date a girl who is taller than you? Or is it that you would have to be forced to be the small spoon? I looked at a few studies online and they say that a male is more likely to reproduce the taller that he is, and the shorter a female is the more likely they have a larger dating pool and reproduce much more often. I just think that it is very strange how that works within our culture.

Your topic is interesting. Since I am taller than many guys in my country and even those tall and big guys they still prefer those small girls , this problem trouble me a lot. Another interesting thing is if a guy who is rich or powerful enough, those tall beauties they dont mind date with him. The only problem is does that guy care about it.

I find this especially interesting because I am in the class ANTH 1001: Human Evolution right now and it kind of ties into the biological side of this topic. We have recently been talking about natural selection, where females choose males that are better suited to their environment.

I am a girl, and I personally am more attracted to taller guys, but I have always wondered whether that was natural selection taking place or if that was purely cultural. I know that some of my friends who are taller than me don't wear high heels very often; they don't want to look "too tall," because some guys find that unattractive, or some guys might feel as though it would strip their "masculinity," as Kyle said.

The smarter and more moralized humanity becomes, the more evolution is toyed with, so it is difficult to say whether the relationship between attraction and height it is currently the result of a cultural norm or the simply the result of natural selection. I personally think that attraction, no matter if its height or a combination of qualities, can be traced back to our natural instincts.

Height is an essential element that parents will concern about when they are choosing boyfriends or girlfriends for their children in China, so do we young adults. When I haven’t met my current boyfriend yet, I was thinking my future boyfriend or husband should at least 10cm higher than I. actually, he is only 5cm than I and can be kind of a short guy but I don’t care it at all. It is really interesting that something I did care a lot in the past time but don’t pay any of my attention on it when I face it in real life. I think this is something we call love. Sex may be got to do with height but love is not.

I found this topic quite interesting because I am pretty short and I think how tall or how short you are matters to you and others. Usually when a girl is short not many people say anything but call them a short little girl, but when a guy is short he gets called names such as a midget. I don't care when people call me short because I usually laugh it off but there are many girls out there who gets offended and cries about it. I feel that as a girl there is not much discrimination about the whole height issue, but for guys there are many issues for them, for example a girl might just ignore a guy just because he's short, or he might get refused for modeling for being short.

I grew up being one of the shortest kids in my class and always had to date girls who were taller than me. It's really hard to look manly when your head is on the shoulder of the girl your holding. Men are seen as the protectors and providers, and stature is key to that perception. When you are a short man you either develop a "short mans complex" or you just become secure in your masculinity.

For a female, I have always been one of the tallest kids in my class. Therefore, I’ve felt pressure about my size first hand. Before going to school dances, I’d always have the important decision of whether or not to wear heels. Not because I feel weird in heels, because I truly like being tall, rather because I wanted to appear attractive to guys there. As we’ve established, there is some sort of insecurity that surrounds attraction to others who are deemed an inappropriate size: too tall, too short, or even too large.

Who makes these unwritten rules? And why do we feel compelled to follow them?

Honestly, to unfortunately categorize myself in the heteronormative population of the world, I would more than likely prefer a guy who is larger than me. Size really is a sign of either protection and strength or weakness. Not to say I can’t or won’t take care of myself while in a relationship, but typically, protection doesn’t come from baby-sized people. And that is a fact.

Maybe we should all just boycott, and make it socially acceptable to date persons of “un-socially acceptable size,” because otherwise our mindset isn’t going to change.

I have always been one of the shortest guy in a group, whether its a classroom or a party. Usually there are always a few girls who are my height or shorter than me. It always looks like an achievement or something cool for all my guy friends if I am dating a girl taller than me. But then I wonder if its like a loss for the girl? Its funny to see how dating a person taller or shorter than you can be seen as a achievement or loss. Life and people are weird in this way as according to me relationships should not be judged on physicalness.