Today we are watching the video, The Codes of Gender. We will discuss the film in class on Wednesday.
Here are a few announcements:
- No discussion sections this Friday (3/11)
- Change of classrooms on Wednesday (3/9): Sections 2 and 3 are in Blegen Hall 415 and Sections 4 and 5 are in Blegen Hall 425
- Concept notebooks are due with conclusions on Monday after Spring Break
- Group Media analysis and Engaging Assignment #1 are due on Friday, March 25
- Diablog groups will be leading discussion on Wednesday
- Caster Semenya readings + engaging assignment are posted
Readings for 3/21 and 3/23:
- Sociological Images. "The Question of Caster Semenya's Sex"
- Sociological Images. "Semenya Makeover as Gender Performance"
- Scully, Pamela. "The Curious Case of Caster Semenya"
- Scully, Pamela. "The Trials of Caster Semenya"
- Levy, Ariel. "Either/Or: Sports, Sex and the Case of Caster Semenya" (also available as pdf on WebVista)
- Dreger, Alice. "Where's the Rulebook?" (also available as pdf on WebVista)
- IAAF. "Policy on Gender Verification" (also available as pdf of WebVista)
- Wackwitz, Laura A. "Verifying the myth: Olympic Sex Testing and the category 'woman'" (WebVista)
Diablog group members should discuss Levy, Dreger and the 2 Scully essays.