Follow up

I posted the question, "what about chastity pledges and purity balls allows them to continue to gain in popularity, even after several studies have proven them to be, not only ineffective, but even counterproductive." I feel that it is important to discuss it, and tell you why I believe this trend to be so. The main reason, that immediately enters my mind, is because it provides the parents of the chastity pledgee a degree of peace of mind. It allows parents to turn a blind eye to what their children actually do. After all, what parent will admit that they have a child of less than admirable character. No, a parent would much rather live in happy ignorance. That is the real reason why there has been in increase in popularity. It's not because they work. It's because they give the illusion of working. Many of these adults grew up in the cold war. They were taught to hide under a desk in case of a nuclear attack. Hiding under a desk wouldn't protect them from a nuclear bomb, but it let them feel like they were safe. These same people grew up and kept that mentality. They stick their fingers in their ears and sing "la la la", just as long as they believe that their children are not sexually active, then the parents can keep their illusory feeling of safety.

I posted another comment to this effect, but I feel like this reading lets the parents off too easy - while many of them were growing up during the cold war, most people who were hiding under desks were in their late 50's in the late 90's. If an average parent is in their late 20's to late 30's then they grew up during the 60's and 70's, which means they grew up in the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius, where Sharif didn't like it and Jodie Foster was attached to a discontent Taxi Driver, where sex and drugs were an expression of freedom and, I imagine, the 80's and 90's made it apparent that there were casualties (I may be wrong but I don't think a serious discussion about HIV/AIDS was happening until then). How can parents who probably resented their own parents, who sought out risque behavior in the name of pleasure and attempted to normalize it, be so patronizing to their own children?