Follow up post : Abstinence plus programs don't work?

Many articles seem to support programs that are abstinence plus over abstinence only. I have yet to see any real evidence why abstinence only would be a good program to implement, but I did find the following article that claims that abstinence plus programs doesn't work either.

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2005/03/abstinence-plus.html

The report refers to another article that reports ""Virginity pledges are ineffective in curbing teen STDs, study finds."

It lists programs and calls Panned Parenthood and other organizations simply repackaging their "everyone is doing it so use a condom" sex ed programs into "abstinence plus". It claims that that the contents of abstinence plus is ineffective and "typically have condom use exercises in which middle school students practice unrolling condoms on cucumbers or dildoes."

"The sad story is that kids who are trying to preserve their technical virginity are, in some cases, engaging in much riskier behavior,"

The writer is a abstinence only supporter and supports "education that teaches the value of sexual purity".

What do you guys think about this? Are you convinced?
How does this information affect your views on Abstinence plus programs?

In response to the condom practicing, I think it is important to know how to use forms of protection correctly if one is going to be sexually active. When I was learning about sex in my high school health class we participated in condom races, and it had no effect on me wanting to participate in sexual activity, i just saw it as, and still see it as, preparation and information for the future. As long as the information is age appropriate (which may be different now a days than it was 20 years ago)I believe it is important for kids to understand the human body, reproduction, safety and all the possible effects of decisions one makes.

I agree with Elysia, I think that knowledge is important when dealing with sex so that people can make informed decisions and use contraceptives properly. My elementary school was a very conservative Catholic school, and so were taught abstinence only sex education. By junior high school, some of the most promiscuous girls and guys in the district had come from my elementary school-and I don't think that it was a coincidence.