What sex got to do.. with skinny jeans?

A popular trend that we've seen exploded in the last couple years, is skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are very common to be worn on women, and every so often we see men rocking the trend. The issue that is brought up over the jeans, that are made for both men and women, are these jeans creating stereotypes of the people who wear them? It is "normal" to see women in these jeans, but when we see men wearing these figure-hugging denims do too many people immediately assume they are gay? When asking my roommate how she describes, physically, a gay male, she immediately said, skinny, usually well dressed, wearing tighter clothing, skinny jeans, and almost always has a distinctive hair style or hair-do. I know in the perfect world, we are taught to never judge a book by its cover, but we more often than not forget this golden rule when judging a passerby's physical appearance. So what does someones sex have to do with the type of jeans someone choses to wear?

It's an interesting concept to associate skinny jeans on a male with gay rather than gothic or punk. Where I grew up we made the stereotype that skinny jeans on guys were for those stereotypes rather than gay. Because of this, I question why do different places have different stereotypes? Furthermore in accordance to your question of what's sex got to do with skinny jeans, I would say that the reason straight guys aren't associated with them is because of how comfortable they are. Most often, straight guys are viewed as wearing more loose fitting, comfortable clothing. Skinny jeans aren't noted for how comfortable they are. I think that it's not the jeans we are stereotyping against its the personalities that we are stereotyping against and defining for a girl, straight guy, and gay guy.

Yeah, definitely associated skinny jeans with punk/hipster. If they were black skinny jeans it was goth. The stereotype at my high school was short shorts meant you were gay. I wore very baggy jeans for quite a while, but more recently the tight fit has been my choice, and while they are definitely harder to get in, I'd say they feel different, not necessarily worse.