Extra Credit: Dr.Somerville Speech

Dr.Somerville gave her speech on "Queering like a state: Naturalized Citizenship and US Empire." I think her speech relates back to our class. Throughout the presentation her main focus was on naturalization process in he United Sates. She also said that the process is often taken as granted, and has sexual and unspecialized discourses. She thinks that the term queer is anything other than heteronormative. Dr.Somerville also focused on two parts when she was speaking about naturalized citizenship. First she focused on American Indians and how they are an example of the heteronormative naturalizing of queer people and people that are non-immigrants. Then her second focus was on the history of the government attempt to sterilize the citizenship process. Overall I thought her speech was very interesting and she was well informed about the topic she was speaking about.