*This schedule is subject to change. All changes will be announced via our course blog and twitter feed.
jan 19 Review class/syllabus
jan 24 Using blogs in the classroom
Discuss concept notebook assignment.
jan 26 Using twitter in the classroom
Discuss "What's Sex Got to do with...?" assignments
jan 31 What is the POLITICS of SEX?
film: Begin Straightlaced
feb 2 What is the POLITICS of SEX?
film: continue Straightlaced
Due: Statement on the meaning/purpose of critically engaging with the "politics of sex."
feb 7 Sex/Gender/Desire
feb 9 Normal, Normalization, Normativity
Film Clips: Toilet Training
feb 14 Heteronormativity
Optional: Warner, Michael and Lauren Berlant. Excerpt from "Sex in Public," 547-557.
feb 16 Privilege and Oppression
feb 21 Sexed bodies
feb 23 Sexed bodies
- hooks, bell. "Selling Hot Pussy"
film: clips from Cultural Criticism and Transformation
Special Event: Presentation by Dr. Somerville on friday, feb 25th @ 4PM in Walter Library 101. Earn extra credit by attending and posting a brief (200-300 word) reflection on our blog.
feb 28 The Invention of Sexuality
march 2 Sexuality and sex practices
march 7 Gender
FILM: The Codes of Gender
We will be meeting in Blegen 415 and 425 for diablog discussions. No class on Friday, March 11.
march 14/16 SPRING BREAK
march 21 Caster Semenya: sex/gender/sexuality/race/nation
- Sociological Images. "The Question of Caster Semenya's Sex"
- Sociological Images. "Semenya Makeover as Gender Performance"
- Scully, Pamela. "The Curious Case of Caster Semenya"
- Scully, Pamela. "The Trials of Caster Semenya"
- Levy, Ariel. "Either/Or: Sports, Sex and the Case of Caster Semenya" (also available as pdf on WebVista)
- Dreger, Alice. "Where's the Rulebook?" (also available as pdf on WebVista)
- IAAF. "Policy on Gender Verification" (also available as pdf of WebVista)
- Wackwitz, Laura A. "Verifying the myth: Olympic Sex Testing and the category 'woman'" (WebVista)
Diablog: Levy, Dreger and the 2 Scully essays
march 23 No Class Today
march 28 Athletes and Sex
- Carty. "Textual Portrayals of Female Athletes"
- McKay/Johnson. "Pornographic eroticism and sexual grotesquerie in representations of African American sportswomen"
- Some "What's Sex..." entries:
- what's sex got to do with...athletics??
- what's sex got to do with...the Olympics?
- what's sex got to do with...sports?
- what's sex got to do with...workout shoes?
march 30 Final Group Projects
april 4 Bodies and Pleasures and the Medicalization of Desire
film: Begin Orgasm, inc.
april 6 Bodies and Pleasure and the Medicalization of Desire
film: Complete Orgasm, inc.
april 11 Sex and Children
Diablog: Levine and Fahs
april 18 Sex Education
april 20 Sex Education
finish film: The Education of Shelby Knox
april 25 Presentations
april 27 Presentations
may 2 Presentations
may 4 Wrap-Up