Diablog Week 5 : Munoz

The article introduces a performance called, Marga Gomez Is Pretty, Witty, and Gay, which connects to the author's focus on performing disidentifications. The meaning of disidentification in this article is a practice and or strategy in which a minority subject uses in order to negotiate a way to survive within or outside a dominant public sphere. Munoz used the performance as an example to indicate memory as a powerful disidentification because it was due to the lesbian stereotyping in the public sphere which interpellated her as a lesbian. Interpellation in this article was used in reference to Althusser's theory of ideology as an unavoidable realm for the subjects to be "hailed". Memory in this article is used as a way to create one's self through identification of certain aspects of characteristics that one recognizes. Throughout the article, there are numerous examples of cultural performers that create a space for one to negotiate between a fixed identity and the identity that is socially constructed through encoded roles. These encoded roles are then specified down to race, sexuality, gender, and labor which becomes a "point of collision of perspectives". This means that there is a point where all these roles influence the construction of hybrid representations. These representations thus leads into the "identities-in-difference" which are defined as the subjects that failed to interpellate within the dominant public sphere. In this article, the "identities-in-difference" are referred to people of color, queers, or just those that do not fit into the heteronormative society. Munoz's argument in this paper seems to be that the subject is not only influenced by the others but can exert change onto the other thus, by doing so creates a change within themselves. That one of the ways to create one's self, one has to properly identify these distinctions and not just only reject certain characteristics that does not align with their needs but it is a creation of multiple aspects of an identity. The performance of disidentification in this article is related to the desire, identification, and ideology of what the individual perceives.

I agree that Munoz's argument can be understood to be that the subject is not just influenced by others but can cause change onto these others and this creates a change within themselves.
This statement directly relates to the term identification and disidentification in a heteronormative society. The main idea of the text I think is just how does one identify themselves in a society of stereotypes and heteronormative conditions? "Ideology is imaginary relationships of individuals to their real conditions of existence," this describes the Pecheuxian Paradigm described in part one. This means that "good" subjects choose path of identification and bad subjects resist and attempt to reject images and identificatory sites offered by dominant ideology. Thus the "bad" subjects have found a "counteridentity". So really, why does society view the queer community and all other persons who do not connect with stereotypes or normative conditions abstract? By definition I think that is what abstract means, but negatively? Those that do not conform at negatively seen. Do you agree?

It seems that many people in class Tuesday were frustrated and a little confused with Munoz's article. Maybe tomorrow we could start with asking what they understood and weren't clear about on Munoz's article?

That would be a great idea! I could use it myself...to see where everyone else was confused as to how I myself am confused.

@ campusgirl23: Now that you phrased it in that sense, I have a somewhat clearer sense of the reading. I sort of feel like the article does relate to finding or making a queer space for creating a queer identity. Due to pop icons that have created a widely recognized identity it is almost as if they have created a set of qualified identities. Because there is not a lot of pop icons that have a queer identity, this generation is given the opportunity to explore queer identity more in depth. Due to Munoz's references to famous actors and actresses, we can easily recognize who they are and even take on those certain characteristics that they identify with. However, it raises the question about where do these identities come from? Do they just appear out of nowhere?

I definitely think that it'll be a good idea to ask what the classes' questions or concerns are, relating to the Munoz article. Because I struggled with the reading as well.

Cookiekidd: could you possibly bring that up in class and explore that further? I understand what you are saying but I did not focus my analysis on the performance aspect of the reading. I think the questions you asked though were good. What do you mean when you say "due to pop icons that have created a widely recognized identity it is almost as if they have created a set of qualified identities" ?

Annotated Bibliography
My tracking topic is children/youth:┬áSource #1ttp://www.lauras-playground.com/transgender_transsexual_children.htmtt In our experience we have talked with hundreds of thousands of Transsexuals and Transgendered…
In so far as to say, hooray
Hooray, for many things. For the start of winter break. For the end of classes. For the time we have…
To wrap it all up in a tasty soft shell taco...
TRACKING Queering the Non/human can be approached by various disciplines. As a tracking term, I failed to annotate bibliographies in…