Kincaid Diablog Summary

The Kincaid article proved to be a hot topic between our group and also in our class discussion. A lot happened throughout the course of the week, this entry will serve as a kind of "instant replay" or refresher course for those of you who missed out or just want to relive its glory :)

• We begin our discussion asking why child molestation scandals are such a big deal in our society. This can be seen in the examples provided in Kincaid's article of Willy Nestler and also the cult-like following of the Michael Jackson Scandal. We posed the question... Why do you think that it is such a big deal to us? undisciplined Sara Puotinen

• #qd2010 Why are molestation scandals such a big deal? What does Kincaid say--what do we think?

• We then raised the question-- why do you think that women are held to the ideal standards of youthful beauty... what does this have to do with Kincaid's idea of the "erotic child." Does projecting women as childlike serve a purpose in society?? undisciplined Sara Puotinen

• #qd2010 A Glee digression....@sparky brings us back with the blank slate and connections to women and expectations of youth.

• Was there something attractive to us about the idea of a blank slate, an erotic child? Does this ideology appeal to us because we can experience it through scandal? undisciplined Sara Puotinen

• #qd2010 Kincaid: pious pornography (11)...virus that nourishes us...emptiness...forbidden/protected/unattainable produces hysteria

• The idea of the feminising of the molested child, the little white boy, then comes to the surface. We ask how heteronormative behaviors influence child molestation cases and the hysteria surrounding them. Society tends to feminize child bodies, what does that say about feminine bodies??

• How does or should a person treat another person who has been through molestation? when is it ok to talk about it? How many people have been through this kind of issue?

Shown in this list are live tweets from Sara, for more information about how these things were referenced in our initial entries, you can visit the Kincaid blog page at title of link

All in all, our engagement with Kincaid's article raised critical questions about heteronormativity, eroticism, the rights and abilities of children, and how society can or should treat these kinds of offenders. I end our diablog with one question... How can this be dealt with? What kinds of things do we as a society need to do or look at in order to make children more able to tell their stories?

Thanks to @undisciplined for the live-tweet play by play! That really mapped the whole in-class discussion and it's great to be able to revisit those tweets to connect to what was being discussed in the moment.

On the whole. I would say that the interactivity of the diablog was what made it for me. Blogging, tweeting, emailing, calling, texting, failed live-tweeting (on our group's part), reading and engaging all came together in a mishmash that was actually pretty great to work through. It was definitely work, though. I really had to consciously log into the blog more than once a day (which was a lot more than I'd been doing before) and also keep Twitter open, which I hadn't really done at all. But I loved seeing people comment on our blog posts and to see a twinkle of the possibilities for discussing, engaging, hooking people into conversation, and also the difficulties of it--the potential for (mis)interpretation of text and missed live-tweet dates.

I know that a lot of my focus in our analysis of Kincaid was on the idea of purity and innocence and what's at stake in these. Furthermore, we also discussed (as Sparky brought up in class) the societal valuation of youthfulness, and how that is connected to the idea of the child and to innocence.

Lastly we also wanted to express the realness of the situation by adding my real life experience into the discussion which you guys did a great job responding and respecting. We wanted to express the standpoint of the child and how the view of them disapears. We not only wanted you to hear the story and see it from a theoretical standpoint but from a "human" standpoint by adding in real life circumstances.

Annotated Bibliography
My tracking topic is children/youth:┬áSource #1ttp://www.lauras-playground.com/transgender_transsexual_children.htmtt In our experience we have talked with hundreds of thousands of Transsexuals and Transgendered…
In so far as to say, hooray
Hooray, for many things. For the start of winter break. For the end of classes. For the time we have…
To wrap it all up in a tasty soft shell taco...
TRACKING Queering the Non/human can be approached by various disciplines. As a tracking term, I failed to annotate bibliographies in…