Pink toe nails are for everyone :)

pink-toe-nails.jpg

Hi again! Just thought I would share this story in case anyone hadn't heard of it. I think there are interesting conversations happening on both sides of the story. I don't think race or class have been addressed in the case of the J.Crew ad, but its an interesting moment in which to consider queer/ing children. The public response to the ad is what is making the story such a hot topic. How does this relate to ethics? Queer/ing ethics? Responsibility? Thoughts?

Don't have much time to respond here, but just a few things. My students in feminist debates discussed this quite a bit. Here's a post from Annslie.

I like how Sociological Images addresses the controversy by wondering about the role of (social) media in making this an issue. She writes:

On the other hand, perhaps this isn’t a story about advertising, perhaps it’s a story about media more generally. It’s true that there were objections to the ad. But I didn’t find many of them; just a few high-profile examples. Perhaps what really happened was what is sometimes colloquially referred to as a “slow news day.” Only the choir would have been preached to if the criticisms weren’t picked up and highlighted by many more media outlets. And those outlets, as I did above, beg audiences to pay attention to the “furor.” A furor that might have been largely of their own making. Say “hello” to ratings.

(How) does the sharing of this story contribute to the shaping of (queering? straightening?) of children?

direct link to Prostitution Project
here is the link to the Prostitution Project report I was gushing over in class. SO worth your time to…
how to make text boxes with arrows!
This blog won't let me easily cut and paste by hand out from class :( But I wanted to tell…
Documentary Poetic Scrap
An excerpt / snapshot from my hybrid text project "Mother Substance" The Animal In Me2.pdf…