jan 18 Introduction to Class
jan 25 Queer Pedagogies and Productions
- Luhmann, Suzanne. "Queering/Querying Pedagogy"
- Shahani, Nishant G. "Pedagogical Practices and the Reparative Performance of Failure, or, 'What does [Queer] Knowledge do?"
- Sedgwick, Eve Kosofsky. "Paranoid Reading and Reparative Reading, Or, You're so Paranoid, You Probably Think This Essay Is About You"
feb 1 Resisting Morality and the call to be good
- Butler, Judith. "Ethical Ambivalence"
- Butler, Judith. "Preface to Gender Trouble"
- Frye, Marilyn. "A Response to Lesbian Ethics: Why Ethics?"
- "Anti-social Queer"
- Edelman, Lee. "The Future is Kid Stuff"
- Butler, Judith with William Connolly. "Politics, Ethics and Power"
- Butler, Judith. "Introduction: Acting in Concert" in Undoing Gender
- Butler, Judith. "Precarious Life" in Precarious Life
- Butler, Judith. "Torture and the Ethics of Photography: Thinking with Sontag"
- Jakobsen, Janet. "Queer Is? Queer Does? Normativity and the Problem of Resistance"
- Taylor, Dianna. "Normativity and Normalization"
- Butler, Judith. "Ch 2: Regulating Gender" in Undoing Gender
- Ferguson, Rod. "Of Our Normative Strivings: African American Studies and the Histories of Sexuality"
BESIDE: SOME ETHICAL LOCATIONS
feb 22 Besides: Somerville and Queering the Color Line
march 1 On some meanings of beside/s
- Butler, Judith. "Beside Oneself: On the Limits of Sexual Autonomy"
- Chávez, Karma R. "Spatializing Gender Performativity: Ecstasy and Possibilites for Livable Life in the Tragic Case of Victoria Arrellano"
- Muñoz, Jose Esteban. Selections from Disidentifications
march 22 Beside(s) Levinas: On non-violence and responsibility
- Tronto, Joan. Excerpt from Moral Boundaries
- Cooper, Davina. "'Well, you go there to get off:' Visiting feminist care ethics through a women's bathhouse"
- Hines, Sally. Excerpt from Transforming Gender: Transgender practices of identity, intimacy and caring
- Jeppesen, Sandra. "Queer anarchist autonomous zones and publics: Direct action vomiting against homonormative consumerism"
- Foucault, Michel. "What is Enlightenment?" and "The Masked Philosopher"
- Butler, Judith. "On the Virtue of Critique"
- Dr. Seuss. Horton Hears a Who (book and film versions) IN CLASS
- Ahmed, Sara. Excerpt from The Promise of Happiness
- Tessman, Lisa. Burdened Virtues. OPTIONAL
- Diedrich, Lisa. Excerpt from Treatments