Welcome

Welcome to the course blog for GWSS/GLBT 4403: Queering Theory! While this blog has been developed for participants in the course, it is open to anyone for reading and engaging. 

FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN GWSS/GLBT 4403: Make sure to check out the course information page for the most current information on assignments, due dates, and course readings. Also, check out the resources page for links to checklists, advice on how to blog and tweet and much more.

Gender_Trouble.jpg

ABOUT THE COURSE: In this upper level seminar we will use the work of Judith Butler as our focal point for tracing multiple practices of queering theory and mapping the shifting terrain of the term "queer" and its role within critical sexuality studies. After beginning with the investigation of some preliminary questions--What is queering theory? and Who is Judith Butler?--we will spend the rest of the course engaging in practices of queering through, beside and against Butler. 

Drawing upon readings by Butler and putting them into conversation with a wide range of important queer thinkers (Foucault, Halberstam, Sedgwick,Allison, Munoz, Anzalduá and more), we will explore some terms/concepts that are central to understanding and engaging in queering theory: 1. Gender, 2. the Abject, 3. Resistance, 4. Precariousness, 5. Norms and 6. Trouble (being in it, making it and staying in it). 

Some questions that will come up this semester include:  

1. Is queer theory a matter of doing or being? Can it be both? 
  2. What is queer/ing pedagogy? 
  3. (How) can engaging with blogs and twitter enable class members to queer academic spaces and academic work? 
  4. Is Butler a "bad writer" or a difficult writer? What (if anything) is important about distinguishing between bad and difficult writing? 
  5. What are the political and ethical possibilities of queering theory? 
  6. What can queer theory do with norms (besides rejecting them)? 
  7. What does is mean to be in, make and stay in trouble? 
  8. What is the queer art of failure?

Although the end has come and passed, here is my Final Wrap-Up
My Tracking Term for the semester was Bodies and Material Experiences. Now that I have completed my three annotated bibliographies,…
Queer this 2
Here's a quick clip from the show toddlers and tiaras I just found it interesting how as she was also…
DE engagement queer are of failing
I decided to take up the Judith halberstam's book the Queer art of Failure as my direct engagement. In the…