DE 2: "A Question of Class" by Dorothy Allison

So, this was my first attempt at live-tweeting, or taking queer notes as I've started to call it. This was my second time around on the Allison piece. In all honesty, I felt I paid it better attention the first time, reading it uninterrupted. However, the tweeting did help me to engage with the piece and ask questions. I apologize for having so many tweets. It seemed necessary for this piece. *Sorry about the poor format, I had some trouble embedding my tweets. Please, start at the bottom.

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 ...are dismissed when it is utilized by the upper classes and internalized by the poor themselves, who feel shamed and hopeless.
2 hours ago Favorite Reply Delete

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 "...I know that suffering does not ennoble. It destroys" (Allison). The good/ bad poor is a dangerous myth. Whole populations...
2 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 ...We live in a society that prioritizes crime by the class of the perpetrator. Not Allison's focus, but I wanted to note it.
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 "and after jail he couldn't join the army" (Allison). As if stealing money from phone booths makes you unfit to shoot people...
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 ...Is Allison describing a specific arrangement here, one that is only possible when money has extreme material consequences?
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 I find myself thinking about the quasi-prostitution Allison writes of, are relationships of unequal power exclusive to poor women?
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 Allison's family's rejection of unions reminds me of capitalism's need to keep folks on the bottom in competition.
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 We can see this phenomenon in greater society with class rigidity.
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 Dorothy talks about avoiding home for sometimes years at a time, as if poverty/ hopelessness is contagious.
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 When Allison talks about hope/fear in regard to her familial community, it is as if to hope is too dangerous, too much of a risk.
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 "I also experienced a new level of fea[r], a fear of losing what had never before been imaginable" (Allison).
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 ...Or, does the abject, having no hope to survive within, commit a sort of encouraged suicide?
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 "...we had been encouraged to destroy ourselves..." (Allison). Do those within the hegemonic destroy the abject?
3 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 ....but how many of her family/community members did not achieve what she did? Does that proportion justify the system we live in?
4 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 To some, Allison's story might be the "American Dream" played out. Poor girl grows up to become renowned author...
4 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 "Entitlement...is a matter of feeling like we rather than they", Allison says. Strong connection to OWS, "We are the 99%"
4 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 Second time reading this piece. It spoke to me deeply the first time around. Let's see how live-tweeting changes any perceptions.
4 hours ago

Awake0064 Anna Wakefield
#quet2011 Alright, folks. Going to live-tweet my DE 2 on Dorothy Allison's "A Question of Class"...
4 hours ago

Thanks for experimenting with twitter. Just curious: Could you say more about how live-tweeting distracted you from paying attention to the article? Also, how did it help you to engage with the piece and ask more questions? I'm doing a lot of experimenting with live-tweeting and I wonder how/when/why it allows/doesn't allow for deep engagement.

First of all, I love the term "queer note taking" for live tweeting, it's brilliant. I like the way you engage with the idea that while Allison's story is certainly a variance on the normative ideal, it may perhaps be the American Dream to some. Perhaps it's only an academic's view of the American Dream but it still may count for someone. I also like your critique of her friend's inability to join the army after having a criminal record. It brings up the ethical implications of stealing change from a pay phone, (I forgot what those were!) which is demonized, where shooting people is placed on a pedestal as something you aren't worth of attaining. Does this reinscribe our notions of the validity of state sponsored violence?
I think the act of live tweeting/queer note taking is an interesting way to try and delve deeper into a reading and I'm interested to try it in the future.