DE: Gender Trouble Ch. 1

Live tweeting Butler was an interesting experience. I thought that it might be helpful for me personally to engage as I went along. Sometimes as I am reading difficult texts I start off thinking about each sentence and then begin to gloss over as I go along. Live tweeting forced me to summarize as I went along which really helped as I got to the psychoanalysis parts. Live tweeting did take a lot longer and I did find myself tweeting quite a bit. On the first few pages I was tweeting about once every 2 sentences and then I realized that was not going to be feasible going forward. So I tried to reduce to about once every paragraph.

There's a lot of tweets here, but here goes:

#quet2011. Attempting to tweet the first chapter of gender trouble. Could be an interesting way to engage with Butler.
Oct 15 via Mobile WebFavoriteRetweetReply

#quet2011 how does an emphasis on visibility construct women through language? What is the cost visibility in terms of stable categories?

#quet2011. Women are formed by the discourse that names them as subjects of feminism.

#quet2011. Appealing to women as subjects of feminism could replicate domination if we engage uncritically with language

#quet2011. Is the construction of the subject always exclusionary?

#quet2011. Language and discourse conceals it's own construction.

#quet2011. Butler critiques pre discursive implications of social contract theory.

#quet2011. Gender cannot be separated from the political and social. Not a stable term- needs context.

#quet2011. Women do not face a single form of oppression.

#quet2011. Feminism as colonizing. Ascribes patriarchy to non western cultures.

#quet2011. Limits of identity politics- ignores intersectionality. Fractures the movement through exclusionary categories.

#quet2011. But... There is not outside of representational politics. :(