Annotated Bibliography #2!

For this annotated bibliography, I wished to explore academic texts that offered some form of hope or ideas for change. I followed Sara's advice and looked at the Social Text Journal and read articles that were suggested for a Queer Suicide Teach in. All of these sources had different, and often conflicting ideas about how to tackle the problem of gay teen suicide.

1. a) Queer Suicide: An Introduction to the Teach In
http://www.socialtextjournal.org/periscope/2010/11/a-suicide-teach-in.php
b) Eng-Beng Lim
c) Lim questions the reasons why some queer bodies garner more attention in the media: a question I often ask myself while wondering why Jamey Rodemeyer garnered so much attention and not other people. Noticeably, queer subjects of color who have fallen victim to bullying and suicide rarely make the news, and if they do, they are much less of a media frenzy. Lim discusses how technology connects people to some extent but also allows a new form of bullying: cyber bullying. Lim calls for a teach in regarding queer suicide in order to educate people about ways to try and prevent the suicides.
d) Lim offers many more articles to discuss the situation: Looking Through and At Media Treatment of LGBTQ Youth"; Joon Oluchi Lee's "Gay Rage"; Gail Cohee's "Bridging Feminist/Queer Theory and Practice"; Eng-Beng Lim's "No Kid Play."
e) I found this source through the link that Sara so kindly suggested!
f) "Periscope: Queer Suicide: An Introduction to the Teach-In." Social Text. Web. 03 Nov. 2011. .
2. a) It Gets Worse
http://www.socialtextjournal.org/periscope/2010/11/it-gets-worse.php
b) Jack Halberstam
c) Jack Halberstam is critiquing the very notion that "it gets better" and realizing that for some, it simply gets worse, or even different. Halberstam notes that it gets better for a very select group of privileged individuals and the same cannot be said for everyone. Queers of color, women of color, teenage moms, and victims of abuse simply can't relate to the It Gets Better Project because for them, it may never get better. Halberstam wishes to critique the so notion that it gets better for those who are "born with a silver spoon in their mouth."
d) Halberstam's article makes me want to search through the "It Gets Better" videos and try to find some queers of color, or anyone that fits outside the homonormative idea of white, privileged, gay men.
e) This source was recommended by Eng-Beng Lim as a response to the Queer Suicide Teach in.
3. a) Gay Rage
http://www.socialtextjournal.org/periscope/2010/11/gay-rage.php
b) Joon Oluchi Lee
c) Joon Oluchi Lee is perhaps critiquing the idea that a teach in regaring Queer Suicide would have any effective because Lee claims that no amount of sensitivity training will have a positive impact and end bullying. This is a pessimistic, but perhaps more realistic notion. Lee suggests making our heterosexual world unrecognizeable through our difference in order to enact social change and progress. Lee argues against traditional assimilationist goals like gay marriage and the repeal of DADT and instead suggests queering our society.
d) Lee offers a more radical version of people "getting better" and making our world one that queers are able to survive. I would like to search for more radical view points that offer alternative views to simply waiting our your life and waiting for your life to get better.
e) This text was also recommended on Social Text Journal as an accompaniment to the Queer Suicide Teach In.