Annotated Bib# 3

Source one
1: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
2: Robert C. O'Brien
3: Following JJ Halberstam's queering of Pixar animations, I was inspired to revisit one of my favorite novels from childhood. There is not an inherently queer narrative to this book, but there are multiple cases in which resistance/rejection is employed. In this world, former lab rats and mice have had experiments conducted on them making their lives longer and exponentially increasing their intelligence -such that they surpass the intelligence of the scientists 'studying' them and escape the laboratory. This book offers direct critiques of neoliberalism, individualism, and capitalism/consumption. The novel concludes with the rats' of NIMH belief that scientific discovery has hit a glass ceiling and that the next thing to do, both logically and ecologically, is to revert to an agrarian, interdependent society. This novel questions the production, consumption and surplus value of identity.
4: This book doesn't lead me to anything else. It does remind me of other children books I could revisit such as the Bridge to Terabithia and My Side of the Mountain.
5: I read this book when I was 11-12 years old. It remains one of my favorite books as it continues to influence my politics.
6: O'Brien, Robert C. Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Aladdin Fantasy, 1986. Print.

Source two
1: The Kids Aren't Alright: The Gay Marriage Movement and its Manipulation of Children and Youth.
2: Yasmin Nair
3: This essay was originally published in March of 2009, and while it is not in direct response to the video we watched in class this past Thursday, the two are in conversation with each other. Nair rejects LG(BTQ) politics that take access to the State institution of marriage. The questions Nair proposes our familiar, asking us to broaden our definition of family, home and community, remaining critical of the rigid definitions that marriage allows. Nair questions the use of children and youth by the LG(BTQ) in the gay marriage movement, locating battles for parental and adoption rights as preexisting and separate from politics for gay marriage -that is until gay marriage proponents effectively devoured social movements for parental rights/adoption. Admittedly, I wondered if Nair's critique was going a little to far as she is rather harsh on the youth that she discusses. However, by articles end I believe her critique is incredibly necessary for us to consider as it sets up LGBTQ youth up for the same failures their heteronormative predecessors have had in defining their legitimacy and success through the institution of marriage.
4: Against Equality, Queers for Economic Justice (QEJ), Fierce!, Southerners on New Ground etc.
5: I am a facebook friend with Yasmin and she insisted I read this. We met each other through Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore. While I have not done work with the Against Equality Collective, Yasmin has been involved and I knew of her work through this.
6: Nair, Yasmin. "The Kids Aren't Alright: The Gay Marriage Movement and its Manipulation of Children and Youth." March 2009. http://www.yasminnair.net/content/kids-aren%E2%80%99t-alright-gay-marriage-movement-and-its-manipulation-children-and-youth-22-march--0. Web.

Source three
1: 'Pinkwashing' and Israel's Use of Gays as a Messaging Tool
2: Sarah Schulman
3: In this NY Times Op-ED piece, anti-Zionist activist Sarah Schulman questions a recent alliance building between western European, US and Canadian LG(BTQ) communities. Israel has begun courting affluent A-Gays for their tourist dollars and to stand in solidarity with Israel's occupation of Palestinian land. Referencing earlier readings in this course, Israel is imagined as a progressive hotspot in the Middle East that offers an Oasis for LGBTQ folk who would otherwise be exposed to homophobic and heterosexist violence. This juxtaposes the 'gay friendly' Israel to the inherently homophobic and Islamic fundamentalist Palestine, eclipsing the work by LGBTQ and feminist organizations in Palestine such as Aswat, Al Qaws and Palestinian Queers for Boycott, Divestment and Sanction.
4: Same as above.
5: Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore shared this on her facebook profile.
6. Schulman, Sarah. "'Pinkwashing' and Israel's Use of Gays as a Messaging Tool NY Times online. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/23/opinion/pinkwashing-and-israels-use-of-gays-as-a-messaging-tool.html?_r=3. Web.