Annotated bib yo :)

One of the difficulties I had when trying to explore the term "queer youth" is how think about the possibility and improbability of being able to "locate" each of the term and then putting them into conversation with each other. I decided to try to more concretely "locate" the term youth and then explore how one can "queer" youth instead of assuming that youth as an identity or space is inherently queer/ed. I did this by trying to establish youth, through the use of subcultural studies, as being "divided" into different spaces.

Source 1 (Book)
a. Goths, Gamers, and Grrrls: Deviance and Youth Subcultures

b. Ross Haenfler

c. This source is a an exploration, from a sociological framework, of various characteristics of youth subcultures. It introduces the discussions and arguments within subcultural studies of how to best "study" or discuss youth subcultures as well as an overview of some of the dominant ideals and beliefs within the field. He begins the book with a brief overview of some of the theoretical beliefs and frameworks when exploring subcultural studies; theories like the chicago school, social ecology and strain theory; Centre for contemporary cultural studies; and "post-subcultural" and "clubculture" theories. It also presents definitions of various concepts like labeling, differential association and etc. The book itself also focuses on the aspect of subcultures as resistance and deviance and what these terms mean and used within subcultural studies.

d. I thought this source to be particularly interesting because whenever I try to explore the term "youth" much of the scholarship tends to be framed within a "subcultural" type of structure of discussion. Many of the sources I've been running into have discussed the term "youth" as subjects being acted upon and not as actors. Often time I am presented with an interesting question when trying to connect the two terms "queer" and "youth" because how can one then yolk these two terms together when each term itself becomes/is contested depending on the space and context one uses them?
This source present a nice overview of youth subcultural studies itself because often times when one tries to define what a "subculture" is it becomes intimately linked with the term "youth."

e. I found this source... well this was a book among many that one of my professors in the youth studies department gave/lent me. I've been looking for an excuse to be able to read and use this source because aside from an issue of how privilege gets hidden or covered within the framework of the book overall it was a very interesting read.

f. Haenfler, Ross. Goths, Gamers, & Grrls; deviance and youth subcultures. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc., 2010. Print.

Source 2 (TV)

a. South park season 6 episode 16: Future self n' me

b. Trey Parker and Matt Stone
c. I wanted to bring this source in to put into conversation how mainstream discourse constructs ideas of youth or youthdom. In this episode the parents in south park used a scare tactic where they told the youth that a time portal brought in their future self. These "future" selves were constructed as drug addicts, moochers and degenerates. In the end of the episode the youth ends up finding out that this was all a hoax and that the parents were just afraid to talk to them about drugs but still want them to turn out "decent."
d. I wanted to bring this source in because it presents an image of youth/dom that many within a "western" lens brings to the table. Youth gets talked about as growing into or as "becoming" into something else. Youth is an identity can never be occupied indefinitely. In this episode of south park they present the fear that actions or behaviors that are apparent during ones youth affect how someone turns out or they do not turn out as the ideal citizen of the state.
e. I found this source by watching an incredible amount of south park... it's sad but true.
f.
Source 3 (Book again)
a. The Post-Subcultures Reader
b. Various authors, edited by David Muggleton and Rupert Weinzierl
c. This is a reader devoted to trying to interrogate the possibilities of moving beyond subcultural studies. This book tries to explore the limitations of current ways subcultural studies have framed their discourse and tries to move past that calling for a better way to understand and capture the fluidity and complexity of the youth experience. It places into question the usefulness of subcultural studies.
d. This source was far more useful in trying to place into conversation the terms youth and queer. Unlike the first source in this post where he is much more willing to work under current frameworks of subcultural studies this book interrogates to very frameworks of studying youth and youthdom. The contributors to this post subcultural reader tries to present a framework of studies that is much better suited to capturing the fluidity, fragmentation and fluctuation of youth identity and youth spaces. Much like how queer theorist try to interrogate "established" discourses and spaces this reader does much similar work.
e. I found this again in a stack of books that one of my professors gave/lent me.
f. D. Muggleton & R. Weinzierl (Eds.), The Post-Subcultures Reader New York: Oxford international Publishers ltd.