Articles (available through moodle and/or through Paradigm copies*)
To access moodle, go to myU. Then click on My Courses. Click on the moodle link for our course (GWSS 4403 or GLBT 4403).
*If desired, readings may also be available in a course reader through Paradigm copies. We will discuss this possibility on the first day of class.
COURSE SCHEDULE (subject to change)
6 Introductions to course and each other
8 Blog Cluster: Queering DML
- Boyd, Dannah. "The Politics of Queering Anything" (read post and closely skim comments)
- MCWilliams, Jenna. "Some Thoughts on Queering DML" (read post and closely skim comments)
- Barnett, Fiona. "Queer DML"
Begin class in Rachel Raimist Feminist Media Center (FORD 468)
13 Queer/ing Blogging
15 Contingent Belongings
- Handhardt, Christina B. "Butterflies, Whistles, and Fists: Gay Safe Streets Patrols and the New Gay Ghetto, 1976-1981" (moodle)
- Handhard, Christina B. "Gay Mean Street"
CONFERENCE: Contingent Belongings: Queer Reflections on Race, Space and the State
Friday, 9/16-Saturday, 9/17. See more here: http://contingentbelongings.wordpress.com
Earn extra credit by attending and posting your thoughts and/or live-tweeting!
INTRODUCTION: What is queering?
20 What is queer/ing pedagogy?
- Luhmann, Susanne. "Queering/querying pedagogy" (moodle)
22 What is queering theory, part 1?
- Smith, Cherry. "What is This Thing Called Queer?" (moodle)
- Berlant, Lauren and Elizabeth Freeman. "From 'Queer Nationality" (moodle)
- Sullivan, Nikki. "Queer: A Matter of Being or Doing?" (moodle)
27 What is queering theory, part 2?
- Johnson, E. Patrick. "'Quare' Studies, Or (Almost) Everything I Know About Queer Studies I Learned From My Grandmother" (moodle)
- Lee, Wenshu. "Kuaering Queer Theory: My Autocritography and a Race-Conscious, Womanist, Transnational Turn" (moodle)
- Smith, Andrea. "Queer Theory and Native Studies: The Heternormativity of Settler Colonialism" (moodle)
INTRODUCTION: Who is Judith Butler?
4 ...as a Person
- Feminist Review. "Judith Butler: Philosophical Encounters of the Close Kind" link no longer works; will pass out essay in class
- McMillen, Liz. "Berkley's Judith Butler Revels in Role of Troublemaker" (moodle)
FILM: clips from Judith Butler: Philosophical Encounters of the Third Kind and Examined Life
6 ...as a Difficult Writer
- Butler, Judith. "A Bad Writer Writes Back"
- Butler, Judith. "Value of Difficulty" (moodle)
- Interview with Judith Butler. "Changing the Subject" (moodle)
11 ...as a Queer Theorist
- Butler, Judith. "1990 and 1999 Preface" (moodle)
- Osbourne/Segal. "Gender as Performance: An Interview with Judith Butler"
13 ...as a troublemaker
- Judith Butler Refuses Prize at Berlin CSD 2010
- Transcript of Butler's refusal speech
- Where Now? From Pride Scandal to Transnational Movement
- Butler 1, Homonationalism 0
- Celebrating Refusal
- Angela Davis' youtube response
PRESENTATION ON HOMONATIONALISM extra reading: Puar, Jasbir. "Mapping U.S. Homonormativities"
QUEERING THROUGH/BESIDE/AGAINST BUTLER: Some Key Terms
- Butler, Judith. "Chapter 1: Subjects of Sex/Gender/Desire" (moodle)
PRESENTATION ON GENDER extra reading: Valentine, David. "1% on the Burn Chart"
20 NO CLASS: CATCH-UP ON BLOG
27 Midterm Check-in
1 RESISTING as PARODY/RESIGNIFICATION
- Foucault, Michel. "Method" in The History of Sexuality, Volume 1 (moodle)
- Butler, Judith. "From Parody to Politics" in Gender Trouble, 194-204 (moodle)
- Buter, Judith. "Critically Queer" (moodle) CUT
- Nussbaum, Martha. "The Professor of Parody: The Hip Defeatism of Judith Butler"
3 RESISTING as DIS-sing: Disidentification and Disavowal
- Muñoz, José Esteban. "Introduction: Performing Disidentification" in Disidentifications: queers of color and the performance of Politics (moodle)
PRESENTATION ON RESISTING/REJECTING extra reading: Selections from That's Revolting
- Butler, Judith. "Beside Oneself" (moodle) skim all, focus on definition of beside on page 20
- Anzaldúa, Gloria. "now let us shift...the path of cono- cimiento...inner work, public acts" (moodle) skim all, focus on #2 nepantla, on 547-549
PRESENTATION ON LIMINALITY extra reading: Lugones, Maria. Excerpt from Pilgramages/Peregrinajes
- Butler, Judith. "Is Kinship Always Already Heterosexual"
- Warner, Michael. "Normal and Normaller" CUT
- Thompson, Richard Ford. "What's queer about race"
- Cohen, Cathy. Excerpt from "Punks, Bulldaggers, and Welfare Queens" skim all, focus on marriage section starting on page 37
15/17 Another Judith...Halberstam
- Halberstam, Judith. The Queer Art of Failure
PRESENTATION ON FAILURE on November 17
extra reading: Muñoz, Jose Esteban. "The Virtuosity of Failure"
22/24 NO CLASS: THANKSGIVING
29 TROUBLE: Being(s) in Trouble?
- Chávez, Karma. "Spatializing Gender Performativity: Ecstasy and Possibilities for Livable Life in the Tragic Case of Victoria Arellano" (moodle)
- Diablog on Chávez from queering ethics course
PRESENTATION ON BODIES/MATERIAL EXPERIENCE extra reading: Namaste, Vivian. Excerpt from Invisible Lives
1/6 TROUBLE: Making Trouble
- Bornstein, Kate and S. Bear Bergman. Selections from Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
8 Wrap-up and class presentations
13 Wrap-up and class presentations