« test blog | Main | The Five Sexes »

Discussion Questions for Week 3

Question Set 1
Do you have any questions about terms, ideas in the articles we have read so far?
Please post them under the subcategory, "Questions," to Week 3.

Question Set 2
How would you define gender?
How would you describe yourself in terms of gender?
Where do you see gender in our everyday life?
What are the most often seen gender categories on official documents?
What are the other options of gender categories which you have known of?

Question Set 3
What is binary thinking? Can you give some examples which you often see in your everyday life? (for example, binary thinking in terms of gender, race, class, and sexuality)?
How can we question those binaries?

Question Set 4
How to understand white privilege?
How to understand white privilege in terms of gender?
What can we do to unpack it in our everyday life?

Question Set 2
Gender is how we classify the human world around us based upon conclusions made by combining anatomical differences between male and female with the actions and mannerism we associate with the social norms of the two categories. The other side of gender deals with how we feel as an individual. A person can feel like they belong to the male, female, or heterosexual category, yet be anatomically different. I would have to describe myself as part of the female gender category. I am anatomically female and associate with the social norm of being female. Gender differences are seen in everyday life as well as conversations.
As I writing this blog, a male friend made the comment that he did not think he could feel “manly? if he slept with sleeping with pink sheets, like I have in my room. This is a prime example of how the social norms shape the way we perceive our own gender category. Gender is something we do subconsciously. Walking down the street we categorize the people around us as either male, female or indeterminant. I believe that white males are often depicted more in official documents than females. In the past few years the GLBT movement has become more prominent in my home community, so I have become aware of several different categories other than only female and male such as bisexual and heterosexual orientations.
Question Set 3
Binary thinking is thinking in only two ways, such as black and white, male and female, upper-class and lower-class. People often try to simplify the way they perceive the world around them by reducing it into the simplest number of categories. I see this is the way restrooms are labeled as men and women or how people are categorized as white or black. This is a very immature way of looking at the world. There are not always two choices, but rather a large spectrum of gray area. For instances the “white? population consists of several different cultures and identities. There are people who feel like they do not belong to the female or male sexual orientation, but rather part of both. We can help people recognizing these gray areas by asking questions and talking with people different than ourselves.
Questions Set 4
The white privilege is often overlooked by people of the white race. Growing up as a white female I was unaware of the privileges that I received from being a part of the white race. We can only become aware of our privileges by taking a step back and looking in on society. I can relate to the oppression of certain races because I am a woman and feel oppression from the male dominated society. By being open minded we can learn from the experiences of others. This creates a society of people who are more accepting of people’s differences.