« What I've Learned | Main | What I've Learned »

What I've Learned

The last two weeks has enlightened me to some very intetesting points involving the discrimination against different races as well as people whose sexual preference deviates from the social norm. Many of the articles we read take place a couple decades ago, yet the same issues remain unsolved today. In Peggy McIntosh's White Privilege I realized some of the privileges I recieve from being a white woman. You really have to place yourself in other people's shoes to understand how the world percieves you. I also learned about the severe prosecution of homosexuals through the 20th and 21st century. I had no idea how extensive the raids and arrests were. Interestingly enough movements like the civil rights movement make it into history books, while movements involving sexuality differences tend to be left out. I think one of my favorite quotes applies here: "Those who don't remember their past are doomed to repeat it." With each new generation not learning about the feminists and GLBT movements the discrimination will continue.
>Carolyn