What I learned

When we spoke in class about binary thinking, it really opened my eyes to how often that occurs. It's easy to come up with binary thought processes about things like gender, but I just never sat down and thought about how far it extends. It was definitely an interesting class hour.

What I Learned

In the past few weeks I've learned about problems surrounded by class/sexuality,the inherent of black women, and white privilege how whites are generally viewed as superior in all categories whether its getting pulled over or jobs

What I've Learned

This past weeks discussion was interesting to be as we dipicted the difference between gener, sex, and sexuality. I found it interesting that someone can choose their sexuality. I never looked at it this way but once thnking about it the whole idea is truley chocie.

What I learned

In week 3 discussion I learned that in binary thinking there is no room for gray areas-it is simply black or white; this or that. For example: gay or straight; male or female. these leave no room for options like bisexuality or transgender people.

What I learned on 9/19/2007

I learned that binary thinking and privilege for certain groups is holding our society back. These issues prevent us as people from growing together. Both concepts limit and deny certain people access to living happy lives.

What I learned...

I learned that white privilege coincides with many other types of privilege like male privilege and heterosexual privilege. I also learned that ignoring these other types of privilege may lead to binary thinking.

What I learned from discussion week 3

I learned that gender norms vary by culture and by era (men used to be able to wear dress-like clothes).

Discussion week 3

I learned today that just because a person is born a male does not mean that person will grow up and consider themselves a man. Part of our culture allows for people to decide what gender they feel most comfortable naming themselves.

Discussion Questions for Week 3

Question Set 1
Do you have any questions about terms, ideas in the articles we have read so far?
Please post them under the subcategory, "Questions," to Week 3.

Question Set 2
How would you define gender?
How would you describe yourself in terms of gender?
Where do you see gender in our everyday life?
What are the most often seen gender categories on official documents?
What are the other options of gender categories which you have known of?

Question Set 3
What is binary thinking? Can you give some examples which you often see in your everyday life? (for example, binary thinking in terms of gender, race, class, and sexuality)?
How can we question those binaries?

Question Set 4
How to understand white privilege?
How to understand white privilege in terms of gender?
What can we do to unpack it in our everyday life?