« Bribery | Main | To be Released »

Appreciating the Environment

Goal 7: Environmental Sustainability

We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.
-Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
dry well.jpg

Modern technology
Owes ecology
An apology
-Alan M. Eddison

In America today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops.
-Paul Brooks, The Pursuit of Wilderness, 1971
clear_cut_forest.jpg

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun.
-Ralph Nader. Quoted in Linda Butts, ed., Loose Talk, 1930

stars.jpg
The sun the moon and the stars would have disappeared a long time ago…had they happened to be with in reach of predatory human hands.
-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life, 1923
images.jpg

I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?
-Robert Redford, Yosemite National Park dedication, 1985.

Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites.
-William Ruckelshavs, Business Week, 18 June 1990

"Access to an adequate supply of clean water is a basic human right." -Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke, Blue Gold

I was not able to upload my music files so here is a playlist with the explanation of inclusion for each song:

1. Smart Went Crazy -Atmosphere. Smart here may represent the technology that has caused the environment to go "crazy."

2. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing -Jack Johnson. "Must I always be waiting on you, must I always be playing your fool?" This is probably how Mother Earth feels towards humans with their lack of effort on her behalf.

3. Mediocre Bad Guys -Jack Johnson. This song is for the people that sit around and wait for action to just happen. They may not be horrible people, but can be considered "mediocre bad guys."

4. Lost Ones -Lauren Hill. "It's funny how money changes situations....did you really gain from , you really lost one." This along with the next song are for the politicians who are too wrapped up in money and power, to ever allow environmental consciousness into their lives.

5.Forgive Them Father -Lauren Hill. "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do....they say all the right things to gain their positions." Once again for the politician, and once again looking at money induced ignorance.

6. Hello, Goodbye -Unknown Prophets. "I wanna say hello to the good times, goodbye to the bad times." This song represents the hopefullness and determination of those who are actively making a difference for our environment.