Final Thoughts

This was a great course. The amount of material and the pacing of it was perfect for being able to take a few minutes a week to learn something.

I found the productivity tools to be very useful.

Consider repeating this course in the spring or next fall. There will be something new on the Internet by then anyway.

Thanks Amy!

Web Conferencing

OK, so I admit that I've never setup a UM Connect meeting before. Did so and had a nice chat with myself. I'm going to do a national webinar later in the month, not with UMConnect software. But this was useful.

Communicating in 2.0

I was at a conference a whle back where a few folks were in the back of the room Twittering what the speakers were saying. I reviewed the tweets later and sure enough, some folks can't listen and tweet at the same time. They were misquoting the speakers. But interesting to watch.

I haven't gotten into chat. I certainly see a role for it on project teams, but when I want to send to an individual, a short email works for me.

Social Networking

I have to admit I don't make use of social networking. I guess it's sort of like blogging - just a bit too much of a commitment to keep up.

Productivity Tools

These are some really useful tools. I had no trouble bringing a Word doc into Zoho Writer. Zamzar seems to do it all. I signed up for Ta-Da and tried to sign up for todoist, but couldn't get past Loading... I've used Doodle before and really like it. Thanks for pointing us to these!

Wikis

I must admit I'm not a wiki fan. They're only as good as the people who create and edit them. We tried to use the eXtension wiki to work on a community of practice and found it to be very confusing and not at all intuitive. I think it reflected the thought process of whoever started it. It's also hard to get everyone on a team to work in this way. I think they could be a great tool if everyone was on board.

I set up a couple of the new Google Sites - free collaborative websites that are wiki-like in nature. Haven't done much with them yet.

Podcasts

I tend to forget about podcasts. I find it quicker to scan text for relevancy than to listen to something to see if it's worthwhile. Nevertheless, I found some interesting podcasts about Internet and eCommerce.

Photos

I wasn't aware you could upload 100mb per month to Flickr, so I was glad to learn that. I like looking at travel photos on Flickr, but I always lose an hour doing so!

RSS

I've been using iGoogle for an aggregator for a couple of years.

Just Testing

Haven't used the U's blog system before. It is very slow. I wouldn't want to be on dial-up!

This course is a great idea and seems well-designed.