Accomplishment

I achieved my goal for the day! I wanted to finish my descriptive geometry drawing up to the point where all i would have to do is add line weights (which I plan on doing during class on Tuesday) and I did! I left for studio at 10:30 this morning, and but for an hour break for lunch (at annie's with sami) and a two hour break for dinner (picnic in the park with sami) i worked up until 9:15. It was a very productive day. It's a good feeling, accomplishing one's goals. I should do it more often.

“It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.”

Spring is in the air

Oh how I love spring. It's my favorite season (fall is a very close second). Everything is waking up after a long hibernation, the trees start growing leaves, flowers start to bloom, everything starts becoming green again, and there is an overwhelming freshness to the air. Everything is coming to life. I'm sad that I wont be able to spend time at home during spring. It is a wonderful time there. All the wonderful earthy smells, mom starts her garden again, we start running around barefoot through the cool grass. Too bad spring break was this past week instead of during the middle of spring. But in spite of that, today is the first day of spring, so (surprise, surprise) I found some quotes to kick off the season.

An optimist is the human personification of spring.
-Susan J. Bissonette

If there comes a little thaw,
Still the air is chill and raw,
Here and there a patch of snow,
Dirtier than the ground below,
Dribbles down a marshy flood;
Ankle-deep you stick in mud In the meadows while you sing,
"This is Spring."
-Christopher Pearce Cranch, A Spring Growl

[Spring is] when life's alive in everything.
-Christina Rossetti (1830 - 1894)

Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
-Robin Williams

It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!
-Mark Twain

If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.
-Audra Foveo

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
-Nadine Stair

The seasons are what a symphony ought to be: four perfect movements in harmony with each other.
-Arthur Rubenstein

Happy First Day of Spring!

Spring! 4-21 (1).JPG

Quote of the moment

"Caring about others, running the risk of feeling, and leaving an impact on people, brings happiness."
-Rabbi Harold Kushner

Some Quotes to Make Me Feel Better...

...because quotes always make me feel better. Not that I'm feeling bad, I'm just feeling displaced in my own sanctuary in this crazy college life, and I don't appreciate it.

"The more things change, the more they remain... insane."
-Michael Fry and T. Lewis, Over the Hedge, 05-09-04

"So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering. "
-Brenda Ueland

"Observe Everything.
Communicate Well.
Draw, Draw, Draw."
-Frank Thomas, Disney Animator, When asked to give advice to young animators

"The most potent muse of all is our own inner child."
-Stephen Nachmanovitch

"In most people's vocabularies, design means veneer. It's interior decorating. It's the fabric of the curtains of the sofa. But to me, nothing could be further from the meaning of design. Design is the fundamental soul of a human-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service."
-Steve Jobs

"Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home."
-John Howard Payne

"There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen."
-Sean O'Faolain

this one made me giggle:
"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
-Tom Stoppard

"The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.' "
-Aaron Copland

So I've already posted this quote, but it still makes me laugh:
"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."
-Dan Rather
I listen to William Tell and think half time show, being on the string of the bow in the drill, playing it [almost] fully memorized in pep band...not the Lone Ranger.

I like this one:
"My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence."
-Edith Sitwell

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!"
J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
-E. B. White

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
-Rita Mae Brown

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population."
-David Letterman

and i think that's enough for now.

Zen of the Day

The unconscious mind is decidedly simple, unaffected, straightforward, and honest. It hasn’t got all of this façade, this veneer of what we call adult culture. It’s rather simple, rather childish. It’s direct and free.

- MILTON H. ERIKSON

So I do really enjoy quotes...

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak."
-Jay Leno

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. "
-Bertrand Russell

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
-Steven Wright

"The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal."
-H. L. Mencken

"If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door."
-Paul Beatty

...so i think that's enough for now...back to work.

Hahahaha...

So I'm looking through a randomized listing of quotes, and I see this one:
-Dan Rather

So when I listen to the William Tell Overture, I think of a marching drill where a bow and arrow is formed and then shot off into an apple of flags... or I think of one of the the few songs in the pep band folder that I have 100% (ok 95%) memorized.

...does that mean I'm an 'intellectual snob'?

***

haha...another good one:
"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-Jef Raskin

***

On a more serious, thought provoking note, some quotes from my Zen page-a-day calendar:
"Chasing after fantasies is always a bad idea. Stick with reality. Reality’s all you’ve got. But here’s the real secret, the real miracle: It’s enough."
-Brad Warner

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away."
-Philip K. Dick

"Lose your mind and come to your senses."
-Fritz Perls

"Seeing into one’s own nature."
Hui-Neng's definition of Zen.

"In a dark time, the eye begins to see."
-Theodore Roethke

"We must agree on what matters: kissing in public places, bacon sandwiches, disagreement, cutting-edge fashion, literature, generosity, water, a more equitable distribution of the world’s resources, movies, music, freedom of thought, beauty, love."
-Salman Rushdie

***

As Homer said:
"There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep."
...and now it's time to stop the words and time to start the sleep.
Good Night!

Super Bowl Craziness

"The reason women don't play football is because eleven of them would never wear the same outfit in public."
-Phyllis Diller (this quote doesn't have much to do with anything, but I thought it was funny)

"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
-Bill Peterson

So the Super Bowl was amazing. Giants beat the Patriots 17-14. I went up to Bailey with Sami to watch it with Julia and Kristin. The Giants were ahead in the first quarter with a field goal, the Patriots were ahead in the second quarter with a touch down, no one scored in the third, and in the fourth, Giants scored with 10 left, Patriots scored with just under 3 left, and Giants made an amazing pass play to score with 35 seconds left. O my goodness. that was a good game. YAY!!
And the commercials? Some were decent, a few were really funny, and a lot were rather dumb. There have definitely been better years for Super Bowl commercials. The best ones were from Bridgestone tires-the screaming squirrel was soo cute! The Budweiser commercial was also pretty cute-the Clydesdale working out with the help of the Dalmatian so he could be on the beer wagon team. The Bud Light commercials were also pretty good. All the other ones though, weren't quite up to par.

"A world that flows respects no boundaries."

In the Scheme of Things by Thomas R. Fisher

Brrr

"Time for the weather report. It's cold out folks. Bone crushing cold. The kind of cold which will wrench the spirit out of a young man, or forge it into steel. "
-Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Lost and Found, 1992
This basically sums up my thoughts of today. It's currently -8 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -30 degrees. It's cold. And to think yesterday it was 40 degrees.
I got up this morning and looked at weatherbug to find out just how cold it was going to be today, for i knew it was going to be cold. I open it up...it's already only 3 degrees out there, and the temp is supposed to steadily drop all day. No one was hanging around outside between classes today. We all walked as quickly from point a to point b as we could, only slowing our stride when we finally reached the refuge of our destination.
It still boggles my mind that yesterday it was in the 40s and I barely needed a jacket.
O goody...and tomorrow there is supposed to be a high of 2.
I should probably find my hat.

Not all who wander...

"Not all those that wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien
This is a good beginning quote. Much, if not most of what is posted here may seem like random wanderings that are not connected, but in reality, they are. They are the thoughts that pass through and around me. In the end, they will lead me to a destination that I am meant to discover. They are merely the stepping stones to get me there. I may seem like I am wandering, but I am not lost. I am on the quest of life.