Assignment 7

Pugh Chart
Poh.jpg

Upon analyzing the chart, I fairly easily dismissed the vibrating glove, as it had the worst results of the five. It seemed to me like the two strongest concepts was the wallet glove and the phone mitten, both having three pluses. I decided to ultimately go with the wallet glove because I was less familiar with some of the technology required to make the phone mitten (touch screen, weatherproofing, etc...)

After a bit of brainstorming, I came up with the following name "WoM" - 'w' for wallet, 'm' for mitten, and the 'o' to make it sound nice.
WOM.jpg

Final Product Sketch:

img001.jpg

I've been having trouble uploading the video, I should be able to get that posted later this evening.

edit: Video

Movie on 12-11-13 at 10.50 AM #2.mov

Assignment 6

I began this assignment by standing out in the cold outside my house on 15th ave. When someone walked by I would try and pull them aside to ask for their thoughts on a couple of the product ideas I have generated so far. With each product, I asked if they would purchase it and if they said yes, I would ask how much they would consider paying for it. Here are my results (I got 15 responses for each product):

Post-it tab dispenser: 3 would buy for average of $10

Notepad Integrated Glove: 8, $10.45

Cash Dispenser: 7, $13.10

In-Glove Phone w/ Stylus 14, $21.50

Raised Button Fingertip: 5, $8.05

Index Finger Magnet: 13, $18.32

Velcro Tipped w/ Attachable Stickers: 9. $10.45

Card Dispenser/Wallet Integration: 13, $17.85

Vibration Reminders: 8, $20.32

Using this info I took the top 5 designs and discarded the rest. I was left with:

Phone integration with stylus,
Finger magnet,
Card dispence/Wallet integration,
Vibration reminders,
Velcro tips with attachments.

Next, I created a 2x2 matrix for each one to see if I could find any unoccupied market regions:

Phone/Mitten Integrations:
PhoneGlove.jpg
This graph shows that while there are plenty of warm phone/gloves, there is a lack of high functioning products that also provide warmth.

Magnetic Glove:
MAGNET.jpg
This diagram shows a gaping hole in cheaper, functional magnetic gloves.

Wearable Wallet Integration:
Wallet.jpg
While there is clearly a variety of wearable wallets, there is very little to be seen in the winter wearable market thus far.

Vibration:
Vibrations.jpg
Similar to the magnetic gloves, there is a large hole in the warmer and less expensive vibrating gloves.

Velcro Gloves:
Velcro.jpg
There seems to be a wide variety of Velcro gloves currently on the market. This is slightly discouraging though there were non found to be specifically functioning like my current product.

Conducting a simple google patent search yeilded the the following similar partents

For the Phone/Mitten integration: Pub number: CN202019791 U "Mouse Glove for Winter" Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.17.04 PM.png While not directly related to my phone glove integration, this patent shares many interesting characteristics. It Provides use of an electronic mouse in cold environments while keeping a mitten on.

For the Magnetic Glove: Pub Number CN201767102 U. Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.11.05 PM.png This is a product by a chinese inventor. It is pair of mittens with a central magnetic ring located in each palm. They are designed to warm the glove as well as hold small metal objects.

For the Wallet/Glove integration: Pub number: CN202364866 U "Wallet Gloves" Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.20.52 PM.png Created by another chinese inventor, this product has a zipped wallet attached to the back of the glove, with multiple layers to hold money and cards alike.

For the Vibrating Gloves: Pub number: CN202183810 U "Bluetooth Gloves" Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.24.53 PM.png These gloves sync wirelessly with your phone, receiving message notifications by vibrations and can also answer calls.

For the Velcro Gloves: Pub Number: WO2002068065 A3 (Interlocking Grip Gloves) These gloves are used for golfing primarily, but utilize a velco-like connection system to interlock them together creating a firm grip (No image available).

My biggest concern in developing the Phone integrated gloves would be finding the necessary materials to created a waterproof resistant for the phone that responds to a stylus. I estimate the material cost to be about $6 based on current retail prices of mittens, water resistant cases, and styluses. Using the formula (manufacturing cost=2*(retail/10)).

With the magnetic gloves I would have to do more research to make sure it used a magnet not especially harmful to electronic devices that would find their way into the users pocket. I would use a cheaper glove materal to fit the market needs (retail $5) and a simple neodymium magnet ($0.10 in bulk). using the same formula the manufacturing cost would only be about $1.02.

The Wallet glove will be difficult to make easy to use while wearing a glove. It will need to be easy ot add and remove cards quickly. For this the manufacturing cost shouldin't be much more than standard $15 mittens. I'd put the cost at about $5-$6.

The vibration gloves would be quite difficult to integrate with the technology needed as i have very little experience in electronics. I imagine weather proofing would be a challenge as well. To estimate the manufacturing cost I'll look at retail glove price ($15), a simple bluetooth adapter ($4) and a motor for vibrations ($1). Using the aforementioned formula manufacturing cost = $4

The velcro gloves would by far be the most simple to make, the most difficult thing would be finding the best way to adhere the velcro units to the finger tips. I can use a cheaper glove ($5-$10) and by bulk Velcro (<$.01) to get a total manufacturing cost of $1-$2

Assignment 5

To start this assignment, I began by taking one of the top rated ideas from my brainstorming session and applying to SAMPLE method of idea generation to it. The product idea I chose to examine and experiment with was the magnetic fingers glove (pictured below):

WP_20131120_015.jpg

S: Substitute - For substitution I asked questions like: Can I use other materials? and Can I change the procedure? I came up with a list of possible ideas, including: Velcro fingertips, Hooked fingertips, Electro-magnets, or even moving the coat pocket to the glove itself. Ultimately I ended up expanding upon the Velcro-Tipped glove.

This glove has Velcro on the fingertips. Opposite Velcro pads can be applied to various items in your pocket for easier retrieval:
1.jpg

C: Combine - For this part I asked: Can I merge with other products? I came up with some ideas including: using spare electric charge from magnets as a hand warmer, integrating keys into the finger tips, or combining a wallet's card-holding capabilities with the glove/mitten.

I sketched below the wallet integration. This mitten dispenses credit cards, buisness card, of even bus cards straight from the itself:
2.jpg

A: Adapt - For this, I asked: What else is it like? and What ideas outside my field can I incorporate. After coming up with several other products that act in similar ways (Velcro, hooks, claw games, etc...)

I landed in integrating a mechanical "reching claw" with the glove:
31.jpg

M: Magnify - For this part, I asked: Can I add extra features? After some brief brainstorming, I landed on a product that has additional fingers below that clamp to the finger magnets, letting the user grab small objects with just one finger:
4.jpg

P: Put to Other Use - I came up with a couple ideas for alternative uses: A children's game, involving picking up and sorting metal pieces with the gloves; an alternative method of storage (refrigerator doors etc...); or a tool/small parts holder.

I sketched a worker using the glove to keep track of small bits like nuts and bolts magnetically while working:
5.jpg

E: Eliminate - I chose to eliminate a large number of magnets used in the glove. I think this will simplify the use of the glove, as the user just needs to use their index finger to "poke" and grab things with the magnet:
6.jpg

R: Reverse/Rearrange - For this, I thought of rearranging the placement of the magnets withing the gloves. I also considered what would happen if I reversed the intention of the magnet gloves. This resulted in a glove that pushed away things you would try to pick up and did not seem helpful.

I decided to go with placing the magnets on the tops or fingernails of the gloves, which allows more use of the hands when holding a metal object. Additionally, this could open up some customization opportunities with decorative fingernails on the gloves:
7.jpg

For my next step, I created a morphological analysis of the same magnetic gloves mentioned earlier. I looked at three functional requirements of these gloves: Insulation, Means of holding a small object, and Allows for use of hands -
Graph.jpg

This graph inspired my to create 2 additional product ideas:

Vice-Gloves which allow the user to use their index finger and thumb lice a clamping vice grip to hold objects firmly and securely:
Vice.jpg

And wrist strap attachments to hold your keys or other objects around your wrist when not in use:
Wrist.jpg

The next step involved looking at the silly idea and making them practical. Interestingly enough, one of the silly ideas presented in the brainstorming session inspired the magnet gloves mentioned earlier. It was the Vac-gloves, they use suction to pick things up, much like the magnets in the fingertips of the magnet gloves:
Handvac.jpg

Another silly idea was the finger-dart gloves. These gloves shoot darts out of your index finger and at your enemies:
FingerDart.jpg

I took inspiration from that idea in making the post-it note dispensing gloves. Much like the dart glove, these use your index finger to dispense post-it tabs to mark places on books or notes:
Stickey.jpg

Here is a compilation of my top 10 best product ideas generated thus far:
WP_20131127_012.jpg

WP_20131127_013.jpg

WP_20131127_014.jpg

WP_20131127_015.jpg

WP_20131127_015.jpg

WP_20131127_016.jpg

WP_20131127_018.jpg

WP_20131127_019.jpg

WP_20131127_020.jpg

WP_20131127_022.jpg

WP_20131127_023.jpg

Assignment 4

I began by revising my old problem statements to become more general and open-ended:

P1: Viktor needs a way to keep his hands warm in the winter while maintaining dexterity with his hands because he has trouble using his phone and iPod with his current, bulky gloves.

P2: Erin needs a weatherproof way to look professional while keeping her hands warm because she is a is looking to get hired professionally and encounters all sorts of elements on her commute.

I then turned these in to "How Might We...?" statements:

HMW1: How might we maximize dexterity while keeping our hands warm?

HMW2: How might we make professional looking glove that aids in the daily commute and business work?

Next, I assembled a crack team of brainstormers to assist me in the creative process. They were super excited to help out.

My team, over-enthused before our pre-storming game:
Group.jpg

Due to personal time constraints, I wasn't able to gather a vastly diverse group but they came from different enough backgrounds (all involving cold weather at some point):

Viktor - College sophomore planning to major in kinesiology. He has lived most of his life in Sweden but has also spent years living in various parts of Asia.
Andrew - Senior undergrad here at the UofM, planning to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering. Andrew has lived in Minnesota his entire life.
Danny - Senior undergrad in sports management. Danny grew up in Calgary, CA and attended high school in northern Wisc.
Ken - Graduated with a degree in marketing last year and currently works for 3M in aerospace adhesives.
George (not pictured) - High school senior planning to attend college in North Dakota and study Aerospace engineering.

To get everyone warmed up and in a fun and creative mindset, I had them play I game I invented called The Game of Artistic Addition. For this game, everyone started out with a blank sheet of paper. Initially they were told to draw a random line or series of lines on the paper in no particular pattern, they then passed their sheet to the person to their right. They were then given 1 min to add to this drawing and turn it into a person or living creature. At the end of the min, they again passed the sheets on and were given another min to draw, this time thy had to have to person/creature holding/carrying an object. They repeated this process multiple times, each time adding something from a different theme that I'd make up; doing an action, saying something, showing an emotion, etc...

Here's an exaple of a final sheet:
WP_20131120_004.jpg

This game did 3 important things:

• Lightened the mood and created a more fun atmosphere.

• Started the flow of creative juices

• Got the participants comfortable with showing their sketching to the group members. This is very important for the brainstorming session.
  • With everyone ready to go, I started the brainstorming activities.
    WP_20131120_001.jpg

For 25 min on each "How Might We...?" question, I had the participants sketch down product ideas. The time was divided up as follows: 8 min standard idea generation (things they may have been thinking about before coming in), 4 min bad idea generation (to get thinking in new a direction), 5 min silly idea generation, and finally 8 min of more serious ideas.

Then, for the last 10 min, we did a silent categorization of the ideas. They organized them into phone-related products, devices that warm up electronically, gloves that move, etc...

Throughout the session, to keep thinks light, I played some fun, upbeat background music which also kept people stimulated:

theymightbegiants.jpg

When this portion was complete, I calculated the group to a an average IPM of about 0.8, with the first round averaging about .7 and the second round averaging .9. I had them each vote for their top 10 favorites in each category and found the most popular Ideas.

Top 5 for "maximize dexterity while keeping our hands warm":
    WP_20131120_010.jpg

WP_20131120_013.jpg

WP_20131120_014.jpg

WP_20131120_011.jpg

WP_20131120_015.jpg

Top 5 for "rofessional looking protection from the elements for our hands":

WP_20131120_005.jpg

WP_20131120_006.jpg

WP_20131120_007.jpg

WP_20131120_008.jpg

WP_20131120_009.jpg

Assignment 3

As the weather turns cold, people are beginning to pile on the winter clothes. This is excellent timing for this assignment as I begin to investigate mittens and gloves.

I began by observing people on the street from my own front porch, taking note of people using and not using gloves and how it affects their daily commute.

WP_20131111_002.jpg

I took note of several various things I noticed, some of which may prove to be useful, some may not. I saw someone rummaging through their pockets holding their gloves in their mouth, a couple holding hands through mittens, people using their gloves to warm their face, someone using a touch screen with their glove still on, and many more.

Over the last week, I have also taken note of my own personal experience with gloves. Here are my own gloves, I've been wearing them for several years and am only just now observing the design flaws and benifits

WP_20131111_003.jpg

While I found many good things about them, grip, flexibility, durability, warmth, etc, I also found manny issues. For instance, I was unable to operate my touch screen ipod, couldn't fit my gloved hands in my pockets, and couldn't accurately hit the buttons on my phone (pictured bellow):

WP_20131111_004.jpg

On to the interviews!

My first interview was with foreign studen Viktor from Sweden:

209831-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-3d-Young-Viking-Smiling-Facing-Front-And-Holding-A-Swedish-Flag-And-Sword.jpg Viktor is a second year student at the U who commutes on bike from class to class across campus. Viktor has two pairs of gloves that he primarily wears: one light, thin pair and one heavy-duty pair. He says that he uses the thin gloves when walking to class and the heavier ones when he's on his bike. The heavier ones, he says, protect him better from the wind while the lighter ones help him to operate his phone/mp3 while walking. He says he prefers the lighter ones but they don't provide enough protection from the cold when the temperature drops ultra-low and that they wear out too fast (he said he's gone through 3 pairs of them in the last three years while the heavy ones have held their own.

My second interview was with Erin, a Minnesota resident her whole life.

girl-clip-art-12.jpg Erin is grad student at the U, currently commuting to the city via bus to her student teaching position. Erin wears a pair of slim, leather gloves everyday to work. She says she wears these gloves primarily because of their looks, she needs stylish and professional looking gloves because of her job. She says a bad experience with these gloves was when they got wet and became very difficult to remove. She also complained that, even when dry, they are not easy take on/off if she wants to use her phone. Additionally, she was not happy about the price but pointed out that they have lasted quite some time (she doesn't remember when/where she purchased them).

My third and final interview was with Carl, another Minnesota resident.

carpenter_doing_construction_work_0521-1003-2614-5645_SMU.jpg Carl is a 44 year old construction worker who has worked on buildings, bridges, and other projects in the hot and the cold. He wears only his leather working gloves in the winter. He loves these gloves, he says, they protect his hands from all of the hazards associated with the job. He say the gloves, however, so not offer protection from very cold temperatures. He says his warmer gloves do not offer as much protection from construction hazards and are far less durable. He likes that they can be easily removed to write on documents but wishes he didnt need to take them off

Problem Statements:

Viktor needs a pair of gloves that provide both warmth and dexterity because he wants to be able to retrieve items from his pockets and operate them while still having protection from the cold.

Erin needs gloves that are stylish and professional while still being warm, durable, and easy to take on/off because she needs to appear professional looking to her superiors while staying warm at the bus stop.

Assignment 2

To get my creative juices flowing, I watched a movie created by one of the most innovative and creative animation studios around: Monsters University from Pixar. Pixar is an excellent example of creativity in both their final movies and production process.

Monsters-University-Mike-Sulley.jpg

To begin the assignment, I created a quick mind map in my sketchbook, complete with small sketches to go along with it!

img008.jpg

My map has 4 main subcategories: Winter Sports, Snow, Holiday, and Warm Clothes. These branch out into a variety of different concepts from jackets and gloves, to cars and plows, and even to guns and robbers.

To come up with strange and wacky products and ideas from my mind map, I made a game of it. I would close my eyes and point at two random spaces on my map, picking those two concepts and blending them into one. I did this several times until I had come up with 10 product ideas (depicted bellow).

First, I combined Presents and Snow Plows. I created the "Santa Snowplow" which delivers presents to homes as it plows residential neighborhoods by catapulting them to the from door:
    img002.jpg

Next I combined an Ugly Christmas Sweater with Wrapping Paper, creating a product that wraps up gifts and when it's removed it can be used as a second gift, a Christmas sweater!
    img003.jpg

My next creation combines a Snow Blower with Skis to create skis that eject a stream of snow from the rear, similar to a jetski you would see on the water:
    img004.jpg

Combining Gloves and Shovels gave me a product that could help you dig out of any situation:
    img005.jpg

Next, I created a winter jacket for trees for when it gets extra cold. This makes the trees happier:
    img006.jpg

By combining figure skating with a pickup truck, I've managed to find a way to reduce the risk of automotive accidents:
    img009.jpg

Next. I put a snow plow on a hat. By plowing now this way, the user will get a lot more power from the new plowing angle:
    img010.jpg

To give cars more traction on snowy roads while also making them sparkle, I created a road salt that looks like medals and awards (gold silver and bronze!):
    img011.jpg

Ana finally, for the avid cross-country skier and hunter, I've combined skis with guns so you can hunt hands free!:
    img012.jpg

Assignment1

CREATING A NEW KIND OF COOKIE

I started this process by coming up with a list of pros and cons of a typical cookie in the hopes of creating a product that eliminated many of the cons while maintaining many of the pros. Highlights from the positives list include: handheld, controlled portions, easy to bake, storable, and delicious. Some of the key negatives were: unhealthy (typically), only for dessert, seen as "junk food", and lacking much nutritional value at all.

A product that could address all these pros and cons is a cookie created specifically for a meal. I decided to focus on dinner, with a creation I call the "spaghetti cookie."

Creating a cookie made of spaghetti poses several issue logistically, mainly in keeping the noodles together in cookie form. After initially cooking the spaghetti noodles, I developed a wide variety of bases to add to the noodles before putting them in the oven. I separated small portions of noodles and began the testing process. I tried baking several different prototypes: Plain noodles, noodles covered in whipped egg, egg and flour, pancake batter, and ground beef infused. I also tried varying ratios of ingredients to hopefully find the perfect balance. I created several platters with the different tests and put them in a 350 degree oven:

Spaghetti.jpg

The product I determined to work best was a batch that included 1 egg for approximately each square foot of noodles, a pinch of flour, and a half cup of desired sauce:

3.jpg

After cutting and trimming the product for final presentation I concluded with this final product:

Final.jpg

The spaghetti cookies are still bite-sized and convenient but are also considerably more nutritious. They also taste awesome!

Recipe:

1 serving spaghetti noodles
    Pasta sauce
    Eggs
    Flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare noodles in boiling water to desired tenderness. Drain water form noodles and place in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs (1 egg per square foot of flattened noodles) and sauce (1/2 cup per square foot) and mix together by hand. Flatten noodles on cookie sheet and cover. Place in oven for 20. Remove, cut, and serve.

Recent Comments

• juddx067: Your chart is clear and easy to read, I like read more
    • ivers469: Hi, Great Pugh Chart! Easy to read and clear as read more
    • kollm027: First off, I have to say that I like the read more
    • kinjo001: I think you did a very good job on this read more
    • kami0085: I applaud your bravery in grabbing random people on the read more
    • lesc0053: Your put to other use idea and your vice grip read more
    • lang0965: I thought that your blog was really well put together. read more
    • mixer014: Sorry for the late comment. For some reason your blog read more
    • mart3028: I really liked your improv game! It was great that read more
    • muell829: Jimmy- Your friends look super-enthused - love it! Your 'how read more

Recent Assets

• img001.jpg
    • WOM.jpg
    • Poh.jpg
    • plough.jpg
    • Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.24.53 PM.png
    • Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.20.52 PM.png
    • Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.17.04 PM.png
    • Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.11.05 PM.png
    • Velcro.jpg
    • Vibrations.jpg