Assignment 3

As the weather turns cold, people are beginning to pile on the winter clothes. This is excellent timing for this assignment as I begin to investigate mittens and gloves.

I began by observing people on the street from my own front porch, taking note of people using and not using gloves and how it affects their daily commute.

WP_20131111_002.jpg

I took note of several various things I noticed, some of which may prove to be useful, some may not. I saw someone rummaging through their pockets holding their gloves in their mouth, a couple holding hands through mittens, people using their gloves to warm their face, someone using a touch screen with their glove still on, and many more.

Over the last week, I have also taken note of my own personal experience with gloves. Here are my own gloves, I've been wearing them for several years and am only just now observing the design flaws and benifits

WP_20131111_003.jpg

While I found many good things about them, grip, flexibility, durability, warmth, etc, I also found manny issues. For instance, I was unable to operate my touch screen ipod, couldn't fit my gloved hands in my pockets, and couldn't accurately hit the buttons on my phone (pictured bellow):

WP_20131111_004.jpg

On to the interviews!

My first interview was with foreign studen Viktor from Sweden:

209831-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-3d-Young-Viking-Smiling-Facing-Front-And-Holding-A-Swedish-Flag-And-Sword.jpg Viktor is a second year student at the U who commutes on bike from class to class across campus. Viktor has two pairs of gloves that he primarily wears: one light, thin pair and one heavy-duty pair. He says that he uses the thin gloves when walking to class and the heavier ones when he's on his bike. The heavier ones, he says, protect him better from the wind while the lighter ones help him to operate his phone/mp3 while walking. He says he prefers the lighter ones but they don't provide enough protection from the cold when the temperature drops ultra-low and that they wear out too fast (he said he's gone through 3 pairs of them in the last three years while the heavy ones have held their own.

My second interview was with Erin, a Minnesota resident her whole life.

girl-clip-art-12.jpg Erin is grad student at the U, currently commuting to the city via bus to her student teaching position. Erin wears a pair of slim, leather gloves everyday to work. She says she wears these gloves primarily because of their looks, she needs stylish and professional looking gloves because of her job. She says a bad experience with these gloves was when they got wet and became very difficult to remove. She also complained that, even when dry, they are not easy take on/off if she wants to use her phone. Additionally, she was not happy about the price but pointed out that they have lasted quite some time (she doesn't remember when/where she purchased them).

My third and final interview was with Carl, another Minnesota resident.

carpenter_doing_construction_work_0521-1003-2614-5645_SMU.jpg Carl is a 44 year old construction worker who has worked on buildings, bridges, and other projects in the hot and the cold. He wears only his leather working gloves in the winter. He loves these gloves, he says, they protect his hands from all of the hazards associated with the job. He say the gloves, however, so not offer protection from very cold temperatures. He says his warmer gloves do not offer as much protection from construction hazards and are far less durable. He likes that they can be easily removed to write on documents but wishes he didnt need to take them off

Problem Statements:

Viktor needs a pair of gloves that provide both warmth and dexterity because he wants to be able to retrieve items from his pockets and operate them while still having protection from the cold.

Erin needs gloves that are stylish and professional while still being warm, durable, and easy to take on/off because she needs to appear professional looking to her superiors while staying warm at the bus stop.

Your blog is very well design. That was my first impression when I clicked in. The color is really nice as well as how you write your blog. I really like how you put the little pictures in that represents interviewees. Your pictures are also well composed where I can clearly focus on your points. From what I have read, you wrote very detail about all of your steps that were required for this assignment. However, I would love to see two things. First, the list of questions and how did you came up with them. It would make me easier to understand the process and evaluate your interviews. Second, I think that Barry already mentioned your example in class, but your problem statements are very specific and only concentrate on gloves. Additionally, Carl might be a good source to invest on where he can be considered as an expert in mittens. Also, some pictures of the people from your observation would be better than just taking notes.
Good post! Keep it up!

Good post! Keep it up!

Overall, good post. The little pictures by the interviewee's answers help personify them past just reading their answers. Also, nice picture/description that show your own difficulties with using gloves with phones/electronics.
Couple things to touch on:
1. Possibly state the question/s you asked each person. That way as the reader goes through the blog, they too can answer the question for themselves and compare it the the written response. That will help bring the reader in the world of the blog.
2. Shorter, more general problem statements. That will keep your mind more open as you come up with product ideas in your brainstorm this week. With such a specific prompt, it might be too difficult to come up with a substantial number of product ideas. Quantity of ideas drives quality (and creativity)!

Nicely designed blog, by the way. Most people have not added much color to theirs. Props for that!