About

Marguerite Ragnow, curator of the James Ford Bell Library at the University of Minnesota.

After careers in marketing and accounting, including managing my own business, I went back to school and finished with a Ph.D. in History, with minors in Medieval Studies and Latin, and an outside focus on international trade. As both a student and a professional, I have worked at the University of Minnesota since 1987. Since 2005, I have been full-time curator of the James Ford Bell Library.

Being a curator brings all of my past lives to bear: communications and marketing, public relations, accounting, even my 20+ years doing community theater! It is never dull, frequently challenging, and sometimes surprising.

In addition to being curator of the Bell Library, I am also the editor of Terrae Incognitae, the journal of the Society for the History of Discoveries. SHD is a non-profit scholarly organization devoted to the history of geographic discovery and its impact. And not coincidentally, it was co-founded by John (Jack) Parker, the first curator of the Bell Library! I also serve on the Board of Directors of the Minnesota Center for Book Arts, currently as treasurer; the events committee of the U of M Friends of the Libraries; and I'm co-chair of local arrangements for the 2013 PreConference of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of the Associate of College and Research Libraries, a division of the American Library Association -- and isn't that a mouthful! The RBMS PreConference will be in Minneapolis in 2013!

Talk Like a Pirate!
Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day -- arrrr! Learn more You can read about real pirates at the…
Singing in the Rain
New technologies have enabled the preservation of hundreds of films otherwise in danger of fading and disintegration (Learn more). The…
Celebrating Venice!
From lectures to workshops, to concerts and more, we're Celebrating Venice! at the Bell Library, at the U of M,…