Twinkie Diet Helps Professor Lose 27 Ibs

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Typically when people say they're "dieting", people assume they're eating healthy foods and working out. Is this always the best case? Studies have shown that when people stress the importance of healthy low-cal foods, we tend to over eat because we think we can. This professor however, tried the reverse. He tested out his theory that strictly calorie counting will lead to weight loss, not necessarily whether they're "good" calories or not. For 10 weeks, he ate a twinkie every three hours instead of eating three regular meals. Once a day, he also still ate vegetables, like a can of green beans. Despite eating a horrible diet, his blood pressure, weight, and body fat all dropped greatly. I find this crazy because I really thought it would be better to eat more healthy foods. In class, we've been talking about food deserts and how poorer people have limited access to healthy food. Yet, they are one of the groups of people that are struggling with health issues like obesity and diabetes. How can these be connected? I'm sure they aren't exactly as concerned with calorie counting as much as saving money and eating enough.

This does not surprise me because it all come down to calorie counting and how many calories you consume verse how many you burn. It does not matter what he was getting the calories from or what he was eating as long as he only had a certain number of calories a day. He might have been eating healthier food that were more beneficial before, but he must have been eating them out of the correct size proportions that relates to the number of calories he consumes. However, I am surprised that he chose twinkies as his diet food. I understand that he was trying to decided something that is labeled as unhealthy for you and as a desert/snack item, but I would have thought he would be more concerned about the nutrients that he wasn't consuming. This is an interesting article.

It is interesting to see that eating "unhealthy" foods, just eating less of them, seemed to result in weight loss, lower blood pressure, and a lower percentage in body fat. Compared to other studies, this seems to advocate that the energy balance model of body weight we discussed in class would actually be correct. That to lose weight, someone simply needs to burn more calories than are taken in. In response to leib0060, I am also surprised that he chose twinkies, as well as chips, sugary cereals, and Oreos for diet foods. I wonder what would happen if this study was applied to more people; would everyone have a response similar to Professor Haub? Or would some people have an opposite reaction and gain weight, have an increase in blood pressure, etc? Also, what would happen if this study was continued over a longer period of time? In reality, 10 weeks is not a very long time period. What would happen if someone led this kind of life style for several years?
-sgapp

This page contains a single entry by strom396 published on November 15, 2010 9:17 AM.

Commercials Against High Fructose Corn Syrup Tax was the previous entry in this blog.

Kidney procedure reduces high blood pressure, study finds is the next entry in this blog.