Extreme Weight Loss In the Military

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/12/army-extreme-weight-loss-120510w/

I stumbled upon this link on CNN's website and was quite surprised by how similar reports of extreme weight loss tactics to meet military weight guidelines are to what models use to lose weight. The article states that soldiers are using diuretics and laxatives to lower the amount of fluid weight in there bodies and in some cases even resorting to liposuction to "save their careers." Soldiers resort to such weight loss solutions because of the annual weight tests the military requires and if failed ends with discharge from service. The article states that almost 24,000 soldiers have been discharged because of being too heavy between 1992 and 2007. Although I see the need to have soldiers in top physical condition, after reading the article I'm inclined to agree with Alejandra Lewis when she proposes a need for a change of the way the military regulates body fat in its soldiers. The article references briefly that body fat is measured using a method involving a tape measure. Although it never specifically states what type of measurement is done, I am unaware of any method that actually measures precisely body fat using a tape measure and seems to be an inefficient method of measurement, much like the BMI scale. Instead of measuring body shape, I propose the military use a more exact measure of body fat in order to clearly see who is physically fit and whose not. Also a heavier reliance on actually physical fitness tests also makes sense to me. I would like to mention briefly the solution for weight loss recommended by Dr. Thomas Williams. He advises that in order to lose weight soldiers simply need to start by cutting back 150 calories per day and burning and extra 150 calories. This seems to not take into account different metabolisms that can function more efficiently at different amounts of calories consumed. In order to create the most efficient soldier, it makes sense to me that they should be receiving the amount and types of foods that maximize their physical capability, not the amount of food that keeps them at a weight standard.

This page contains a single entry by black653 published on December 14, 2010 12:35 PM.

Being A Bit Overweight Is Risky? was the previous entry in this blog.