« May 2007 | Main | July 2007 »

Making Headlines, Making History!

current_issue315.jpg

Read the LAVENDER cover story HERE

citypgscvr.jpg

Read tge CITY PAGES covere story HERE

Where Will I Be? At B-Girl Be!

This week[end] is B-Girl Be!

Full Schedule is available HERE

The gallery work looks amazing:
TandA.jpg

I'm really excited to see my girls Rosa Clemente, Sistaz in Rhyme, Medusa, Maria Isa and so many more ladies!

Total Chaos Podcast

The Walker panel on Total Chaos is available for viewing here:

walkerpanel.jpg

In this piece are clips from the following films:
Nobody Knows My Name, directed by Rachel Raimist
Freestyle the Art of Rhyme, directed by Organic, videographer/co-editor: Rachel Raimist
Estilo Hip Hop, directed by Vee Bravo, videographer: Rachel Raimist

Estilo has a beautiful new trailer HERE:

estiloweb.jpg

If You're in St. Louis... (I'll be there)

Summer Solstice talk

As Platform Speaker, Andrew Raimist, will be talking on "The Architecture of the Sun" on Sunday 24 June 2007 at 11am. The audio-visual presentation will address climate, sustainability, and solar issues in the architectural designs of Saint Louis' pioneer modern architect Harris Armstrong. In addition, music, refreshments, food, and outdoor activities will follow the talk. The public is invited to attend.

Architectural Photography exhibit

An on-going exhibition will have its opening following the talk. Featuring Andrew's architectural photography in color and black & white, the exhibit presents interpretations of the work of Harris Armstrong, other modernist architects, and selected examples of architectural excellence from the Midwest. The framed, matted images will be available for purchase. The exhibit will be on display through 29 August.

Location Map

Ethical Society of Saint Louis
9001 Clayton Road
Saint Louis, Missouri 63117

I'm a Minnesota Artist

Visit mnartists.org to see the profile: by Marya Morstad of KFAI's "Art Matters".

mnartistss.jpg

CALLING THE LADIES of MSP

Peace,

Attached is information and a registration form for a new class I'm facilitating this summer at Hope Community in Minneapolis. Please share the information with women you feel would benefit from this opportunity. It is a space to encourage women to express themselves creatively.

Best,
Rachel

+ + +

Articulating Our Voices Now is a FREE class offered to young women [ages 14-25] at Hope Community Center this Summer. The class will focus on the artistic and creative expression of women, especially those in our community. We will listen to music, write poetry, dance, take photographs, sing/rap, make jewelry, tell our stories and learn to channel our visions in a variety of ways. We will also work with guest artists [rappers, poets, dancers, singers, writers, musicians] from the Twin Cities. No artistic experience is necessary! All you need is the energy, ideas, and interest to join this class!

ENROLL TODAY! CLICK HERE for the REGISTRATION FORM

DETAILS:

What: Articulating Our Voices Now [a class for women 14-25]

Where: Hope Community center, 611 E Franklin, Minneapolis

When: Fridays 1-4 pm, June 29 through Aug 31

Cost:FREE!

Who: Group Facilitator: Rachel Raimist (me)

I am a filmmaker, writer, photographer, and expert on women in Hip Hop. She is most known for her documentary nobody knows my name [about women in hip hop] and as co-founder of B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop. She recently published Homegirls Make Some Noise!: Hip Hop Feminism Anthology and am featured in the Jeff Chang book Total Chaos.

http://rachelraimist.com
http://myspace.com/raeone

For More Information, or to Enroll Contact:
Chaka Mkali, Programs Manager, Hope Community
612-435-1677 or chaka@hope-community.org

aovn-summer.jpg

June 14th Panel Discussion - Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop

Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop
Featuring Cey Adams, Jeff Chang, Roger Cummings, and Rachel Ramist
Thursday, June 14, 7 pm
Walker Art Center Cinema
Free tickets available at the Bazinet Garden Lobby desk from 6 pm

totalchaosmain.jpg

Since its beginning, hip-hop has left its mark on theater, poetry, performance art, dance, visual arts, film, and video. Though it is one of the big ideas of this generation, hip-hop is often subcategorized into such themes as “spoken word poetry,� “street literature,� “post–black art,� or “urban art.� This panel discussion focuses on how hip-hop is expanding in ways that cannot be so easily defined.

Cey Adams’ graphics can be seen on countless album covers (Jay-Z, Method Man, Beastie Boys and have been featured in clothing lines (Sean John), movies, and TV shows (Belly, Next Friday, Chapelle’s Show).

Jeff Chang, author of the books Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop and Can’t Stop Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation, has written extensively on race, culture, politics, and the arts for numerous publications.

Roger Cummings is the cofounder and artistic director of Juxtaposition Arts, a North Minneapolis urban art center whose mission is to empower youth and community to use the arts to actualize their full potential.

Rachel Raimist is a Twin Cities–based filmmaker and director of Nobody Knows My Name, which chronicles the stories of five women in hip-hop.

Presented by WACTAC.