« January 2008 | Main | March 2008 »

Post #300: What I wanna be when I grow up...

[...at least when I finish my PhD.]

ALEX JUHASZ: an inspiration on many levels

+ FEMINIST + DOC FILMMAKER + MEDIA PRAXIS BUILDER (my dissertation framework) + TEACHER + BLOGGER +

watch videos from the class on MediaPraxisme YOUTUBE site

& HERE'S an interesting interview w/Henry Jenkins

What I'm Feeling Today [positive vibes]

FREE TALK (for U students): Bobby Seale [Co-founder of the Black Panther Party]

Wednesday, February 27, 2008
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Coffman Memorial Union
Theater, Minneapolis Campus

Former Black Panther Bobby Seale will be the keynote speaker at the U of M Black Student Union's African Cultural History Month celebration Wednesday, Feb. 27. Seale, who co-founded the Black Panther Party with Huey Newton in 1966, will give a keynote speech from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at the Coffman Union Theater. Seale will join U of M students and community people at a dinner in the Mississippi Room at 7 p.m. The event sponsored by the Black Student Union. For a complete listing go to the Black Student Union Web site at http://www.tc.umn.edu/~bsu/main.html.

me 2

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

My Life is...

horror.jpg

My mother used to call the horoscopes the "horror-scopes" because we never knew what that day would face. But today I got a great one: my life is [as] "improbable as a fairytale".

Life is good. Bad things (like the f*ckers who *stole* [more like borrowed, because the bank gave it back] $ from my Debit/ATM) are really not that bad. Work is good (I love my students, even though some of them don't love reading), my academic work is going well, my creative juices are flowing and I've got some new things going on, and home couldn't be lovelier.

I've got beautiful kids:

IMG_0837.jpg

and I received a card from an academic that I greatly respect that says:

note_feb08.jpg

I am the the girl who failed handwriting in elementary school. I am the girl who was told I'd never get into film school (by the admissions guy who 3 years later became my dept advisor/counselor). I'm the girl who didn't know where Minnesota was on a map when I applied to my program [I only applied because I got a page saying that Gwen taught hip hop feminism at the U, so I looked at their web page, and thought I could teach that class]. When I applied (the app was due 2 days later; I had to fedex it overnight) and got in, I was in shock. When I started the PhD program, I wasn't even sure what a PhD degree really was.

Brilliant? Not really. Just work hard, and I am blessed.

FREE TALK: 2/14 at Carleton College

carletontalk.jpg

Free Event this Sat: Screening/Discussion on Hip Hop in Cuba

inventos.jpg

INVENTOS
A film about Hip Hop in Cuba
Saturday, February 9, 7 PM
Intermedia Arts
2822 Lyndale Avenue South, Minneapolis
FREE

INVENTOS: HIP HOP CUBANO, a film by Eli Jacobs-Fantauzzi, follows some of the pioneers of Cuban Hip Hop into their homes, the stage and as they travel abroad for the first time. Just as Hip Hop in the U.S. began as a form of creative self-expression bringing awareness to oppressive social conditions, Cuban Hip Hop demonstrates the innovative and indestructible spirit born from a people suppressed by the U.S. embargo on Cuba.

los pelos cover image copy.jpg

Opening: "Hip-Hop Habana from the Reel" by Melisa Riviere is a literary piece accompanied by the presentation of three music videos all shot in different parts of Havana, Cuba. The narrative, set forth as an anecdotal journal entry during the production of a music video, brings to light the nuances and dynamics of social and political life framed by the obstacles of audio-visual production in Cuba. Themes of global politics and the lack of technological resources are brought to the foreground of the island's cinematographic charm. The accompanying music videos, directed, filmed, and edited by Melisa in collaboration with artists Anónimo Consejo, Obsesión and RCH, bring to audiences many of the ongoing contemporary themes of hip-hop in Cuba today.

Following the film and performance, join us for a conversation moderated by Rachel Raimist, director of Nobody Knows My Name.

2/13 FREE: Angela Davis at Macalester

Angela Davis
A Socially Conscious Conversation with the Legendary Activist

5 p.m., February 13
Alexander G. Hill Ballroom
Macalester College

This event is free; however, tickets will be required and available for pick up at the Macalester Campus Center Information Desk beginningon February 6 for students and February 8 for the general public.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for The Womanhood Learning Project

Dear Hip-Hop Ladies, organizers of Hip Hop Events for Females, supporters and friends!

The Hip-Hop Association (H2A) is working on a women's initiative entitled, Womanhood Learning Project. This is a two-year study that explores women's roles and leadership positions in different sectors within Hip-Hop culture and the community.

This project is intended to bring unity within women in Hip-Hop by creating a space to learn, build, and bring about concrete change through an online platform - www.womeninhiphop.net , a book, a case study, and a marketing campaign empowering women around the world.

We want to declare 2008 "The Year of Hip-Hop Ladies" and among other things want to create an events calendar with all your events for females in Hip Hop, so we can promote each other's activities.

So please email us at events@womeninhiphop.net, and send us the dates and a short description for your event and a flier or a link to a website if you have one, so we know what's up and can coordinate and promote all the "Hip-Hop Ladies" Events worldwide next year.

More information about the Womanhood Learning Project will follow in the upcoming weeks.

The Hip-Hop Association invites ILLUSTRATORS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS to submit work for THE WOMANHOOD LEARNING PROJECT.

We are searching for illustration and photographs that depict women in Hip-Hop, be it rhyming, b-girling, Djing or just representing Hip-Hop through social art, activism and entrepreneurship for the womeninhiphop.net website.

If your work is selected, you will receive contributing credit on the website, special thanks in the forthcoming book entitled - Fresh,Bold and So Def: 100 Influential Women in Hip-Hop, get international exposure by having your work included on our website, and you will get invited to partake in exclusive events and discussions related to the Womanhood Learning Project.

There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit.
Images should be 300DPI, CMYK, TIFF or EPS.

Please send your submissions or inquiries to entries@womeninhiphop.net

www.womeninhiphop.net

We B*Girlz – The Summit – Berlin – August 2008

webgirlzsummit.jpeg

4 weeks of workshops, panels, screenings, and exhibitions