Making Headlines, Making History!

current_issue315.jpg

Read the LAVENDER cover story HERE

citypgscvr.jpg

Read tge CITY PAGES covere story HERE

Where Will I Be? At B-Girl Be!

This week[end] is B-Girl Be!

Full Schedule is available HERE

The gallery work looks amazing:
TandA.jpg

I'm really excited to see my girls Rosa Clemente, Sistaz in Rhyme, Medusa, Maria Isa and so many more ladies!

Upcoming B-Girl Be Fundraiser

Even though I'm not curating B-Girl Be, I urge you to support and to attend this event:

B-Girl Be: The Movie Premiere

Thursday May 31, 2007; 7 & 9 PM
at Intermedia Arts; $7 ($5 youth)

Be the first to view the two-hour documentary of B-Girl Be 2006 and get your own copy of the DVD hot off the press for only $20! Two showings will be available so we can pack the house and raise some funds to support this year's B-Girl Be Summit, June 28-July 1, 2007 at Intermedia Arts.

Check the FULL EVENT SCHEDULE HERE

B-Girl Be 2007

B-Girl Be Summit
June 28-July 1, 2007

B-Girl Be Visual Art Exhibition
June 21-August 11, 2007

For questions or to join the email list, email: bgirl@intermediaarts.org

B-Girl Be is Back

BGB girlz got skillz.jpg

B-Girl Be: GIRLZ GOT SKILLZ—November 16, 2006
Featuring:
Black Blondie, Desdamona and Maria Isa

Minneapolis—Intermedia Arts presents, for the first time on the same stage, some of Twin Cities' hottest female hip hop artists coming together to support B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop’s 2007 Summit scheduled for June 28-July 1, 2007 at Intermedia Arts. GIRLZ GOT SKILLZ brings together Black Blondie, Desdamona, and Maria Isa for one night at Babalu in the Minneapolis Warehouse District. All proceeds for this event go to support the artists and B-Girl Be 2007. B-Girl Be is an annual summit and series of events, workshops, exhibits, and performances that celebrate women in hip-hop. The mission of BGB is to influence and inspire leadership to change the perceptions and roles of women in hip-hop for current and future generations.

WHEN/WHERE:
Thursday, November 16; 9:00 pm to midnight
Babalu
800 N. Washington Avenue
612.746.3158 / 612.281.9970
$10 door
18 + / 21 to drink

Black Blondie has shared the stage with internationally acclaimed artists such as The Coup, J*Davey, Vitamin D, Sage Francis, Lyrics Born, and Luna Angel as well as local talent including Rhymesayers artists Brother Ali and I Self Devine, and Doomtree (P.O.S). Black Blondie was a featured artist in the 2006 B-Girl Be Festival: (A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop), in the annual Midwestern Hip Hop’n Harmony Festival and in the Sur Seine International Music Festival. Black Blondie was nominated for R&B Artist/Group of the Year for the 2006 Minnesota Music Awards, and they were awarded “Best Band Name? for the City Pages 2006: Best of the Twin Cities. They were voted number two (missing number one by only one vote) in the Citypages’ Top 10 New Bands Poll: “Picked to Click 2006.? They have been featured guests on Minnesota Public Radio and “Fresh Air Radio: KFAI? and have appeared on SearchMode.tv/Cable show.

Desdamona is the Premier Female Hip Hop Artist in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis / St. Paul) but not only is she making moves as an MC she has been creating opportunities for many other Twin Cities Artists for 10 years. Desdamona is the 4 time winner of the MN Music Award for Best Spoken Word Artist and in 2005 she was nominated for 4 more MMA's (Best Spoken Word, Best Hip Hop Recording, Critics Choice, and Artist of the Year) Currently, she is promoting her first full length release, "The Ledge". This project is a combination of spoken word, hip hop and song with world music and hip hop music as a backdrop. She worked with the legendary Reggae musicinas Sly & Robbie on this project as well as other producers from the Minneapolis and Philadelphia areas. Desdamona got hooked up with Sly & Robbie through their manager, and opened for their group, Black Uhuru at First Avenue, in 2000. Since then she has been writing, perfoming, organizing and building a broader fan base. She has toured throughout the US, and traveled to Honolulu, Hawaii for GirlFest 2004, where she performed, taught workshops and WON Hawaii's biggest poetry slam competition. Desdamona helped to produce the Twin Cities First Women in Hip Hop Summit called, B Girl Be Hip Hop summit in 2005. Planning has begun for 2006. www.intermediaarts.org for more info. Now a member of Hecatomb, Desdamona is working on collaborations with crew members and writing new material for future releases. She is also currently in the recording stage of her next release, "Hymn of the Human Spirit" on Fuzzy Slippers Productions.

Born Maria Isabelle Perez Vega to Nuyorican parents and raised on St. Paul's Westside, Maria Isa is a vocalist, songwriter and performs Afro-Puerto Rican music Bomba and Plena with a mix of Hip-Hop, R&B, and Reggaeton. She is currently attending McNally Smith College of Music, returning to Minnesota after a semester at Columbia College Chicago. Maria Isa teaches song and vocal instructions to children at El Arco Iris Center for the Arts in St. Paul, while performing with the folklore group "RAICES"(roots). Performing since she was a young girl, Maria Isa was inspired by the artistic values of Mila Llauger (her aunt) Evaristo Rodriguez (mentor), and the many Fania, Motown, and Ol'Skool Hip-hop played by her family. "We're (the family) are like the Boricua My Big Fat Greek Wedding, except we say WEPA instead of OPA!" At the age of 7, Maria Isa was invited on stage with Salsa singer La India and given timbales sticks from the late great Tito Puente. From then she knew she wanted to be reaching others by being in the light and behind a mic. She thanks Los Nativos member Felipe Chautli for believing in her and being a guiding hand in opening many opportunities. She also acknowledges Melisa Riviere (Maria Isa's manager and president of Emetrece Productions) for educating and opening more doors. Isa's words express who she is: a female activist recognizing her heritage and culture as a "Boricua de las Ciudades Gemelas" (Puerto Rican from the Twin Cities). She flows her opinions on the political movements that take place and errupt from the USA owning Puerto Rico. Through her voz (voice) and Spanglish tracks Maria Isa hopes to reach those who are on the same mission as her..... to place the truth in the textbooks and to teach people of all ages what is being missed in the classrooms. Quoting the Young Lords Party "Siempre Pa'lante," Moochie (da girl on da block aka Maria's nickname since an infant) remains to tell others, "although bad things attack us, there is always good that can come out of a situation.. we gotta keep learning something new every day about the world and moving foward. Paz, Salud, y Felicidad."-Maria Isa

Lots of B-Girl Be (2006) Press Links

27_1335a14510_p.jpg
medusa performs at first ave

Star Tribune - 5 Ways the Ladies Can Save Hip Hop

1. Lose the bling, the Cristal, the Sean Jean, etc.
2. Bring back the poetry and passion.
3. Bring back the politics, too.
3. A little singing would be nice.
4. Do the Kanye.
5. Put the guys in the tight booty shorts and G-strings, with water splashing on them and submissiveness written all across their face.
(i count six, but that's all good)

Insight News - Female Hip-Hop Dancers CONVERGE on Minneapolis

City Pages - Ladies Nite and Roxanne Shante

Minnesota Public Radio - The Backstory on a B-Girl

Minnesota Women's Press - Dancin' to the b-girl beat

Back to Business

It's been a wonderful break but now it's back to work - writing papers for incompletes, writing/revising papers for exams, editing and building webpages.

Recap:

- Got another WoSt faculty member blogging and built her some personal web pages. Go Richa!

- B-Girl Be

I didn't do too much. Spoke on a panel on hip hop scholarship with Dr. Roxanne Shante. She was definitely the highlight of the weekend for me personally.

IMG_0069.jpg

Spent much of the weekend listening to her speak (my favorite quote on rap videos/tv shows/movies: It's not How I'm Livin', it's how I'm lyin'!, and just hanging out with her and her beautiful daughter. My Tiana and her Tajai even busted a rap at the open mic while Roxanne and I were on a panel. Of course while she was saying: my kids don't do hip hop. Yah right, hip hop moms raise b-girl babies.

Beautiful ladies, lots of energy, and just good vibes this weekend. I only filmed Tiana painting. Usry handled the filming and the flicking and promises me a link to all his photos soon.

IMG_0076.jpgIMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0077.jpg

Tiana's highlights were playing and painting, of course:
IMG_0095.jpgIMG_0086.jpg

Medusa, Asia, Pam, Des, and Maria Isa put on a phenomenal show.

(Re)Start Blogging (Again)

I'm trying to wake up, I both literally and figuratively. I smell the coffee (literally), and what a happy and comforting smell it is to me. I had (tried) to give up coffee but now the jury is conflicted (so coffee makes you pee more often, I'm already having to go every few minutes), so coffee is back in!!! There's something about a morning cup that helps shake the cobwebs loose and gets me focused and ready for the day.

CAribou-Blend-Image1.jpgCaribou-cup-Blow-Up1.jpg

I'm printing off drafts of every seminar paper I've written since enrolling at the U. Man, I'm into the second ream of paper. Who knew I'd actually written so much? I didn't! I've finished coursework and am trying to assemble 3 papers for my exams. Roughly they are 1- feminist theory 2- feminist methods 3- topic of my choice. Seems easy, right? Wrong. All the papers I'm considering blend a bit of each. My advisors (who are great and very supportive) have suggested I just write and then we'll make sense of it all and get me through these exams. I still have no idea of dissertation topic but the point right now is to just get through this exam process. My girl (I'm so sad you moved away OCB buddy) is finishing her diss as we speak and will defend in August. GO GIRL!

I've been on a very bumpy and unstable road the past few months (that's why I haven't blogged). We became an official and serious we, and got pregnant with twins. After too many foot-long needles, ultrasounds, and blood tests we learned Baby B wasn't doing so good. Many tissues and doctor appointments later Baby A is flying solo, is healthy, moving tooooo much, and is expected in the Fall (due date is halloween - isn't that weird). We are getting married soon. Started to plan a wedding - found a dress I like (and thought I could squeeze my rapidly expanding body into), picked my favorite local photographer, and found a really beautiful place to have our ceremony:
IMG_9982.jpgIMG_9985.jpgIMG_9986.jpgIMG_9983.jpg

the peace (rock) garden, minneapolis

... but then reality of life, bills, stress of exams, and the fact that we'll soon have another mouth to feed. We've decided to marry and do a ceremony/party later (after we get a house, a mini-van for soccer mom (yes, me!) or at least when I'm less stressed and overwhelmed. I'm fixated on a house. I love our place and it will be fine for a new, small family member but man, I need a master suite bathroom. Our bathroom is the farthest possible point from our bed and that's killing me. I've had sooo many near misses lately.

Tiana became a Jr. Girlscout after a year of Brownies. Was very cool. This summer she swims everyday (except Sunday, every soccer mom needs a day of rest). Lessons outside and in. Soccer 2x a week. Hoping to go to Rock Camp in July (her favorite music teacher Mike teaches keyboard, guitar, drums and things like that). T is begging to go to "School of Rock". Then, August is her bday and then sleepaway horse camp. I'm definitely nervous about her first time away (she's only 8) but she's told me to calm down and let her go.

IMG_9907.jpgIMG_9963.jpg

Many amazing things going on -

Asia and Medusa will be here SOON! B-Girl Be is happening this week! I didn't curate this week (too much on my plate) but as a founder and fan of women in hip hop, I'll be there for every minute of it!

bgb_logo_250.jpg

Full Schedule is HERE!

Nobody Knows My Name is out on DVD in Japan!
nobodyjp_frontnobodyjp_back

Time for swimming lessons now. Can't slow my roll...

B-Girl Be 2006 CALL FOR ARTISTS

bgb_ad_industry_385.jpg

B-Girl Be 2006 happening June 29 - August 19, 2006
INFO HERE

Join the BGB myspace - http://www.myspace.com/bgirlbe

Call for Dancers -Download THIS

Call for Rappers, Poets, Beatboxers, Vocalists - Download THIS

Call for Visual Artists, Photographers, Filmmakers - Download THIS

B-Girl Be 2005 on UPN News

I'm speaking in this class on gender, media and multiculturalism today. Will be speaking about B-Girl Be. Showing photos, playing music, and video clips. I've been thinking more and more about media reaction to BGB. Will post more in-depth thoughts but for now,
watch this clip
and tell me what you think.

bgbScreenshot_1.jpg

B-Girl Be 2006 - Call for Performers

B-Girl Be is looking for female artists to perform at the upcoming B Girl Be: Celebration of Women in Hip-Hop, June 29 - July 2, 2006. There will be various opportunities to perform at the summit and at fundraisers and promotional events leading up to the event.

We are accepting submissions in the form of a CD, DVD, or video of your live stage performance. If you do not have any of these things you can contact us and let us know when your next show is so we can come check you out live. Auditions will be scheduled as needed. We will begin booking in March.

Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2006.

Drop of or send your work samples along with a recent photo and bio to:
Intermedia Arts
attn: Desdamona / Performance Curator
2822 Lyndale Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408

If you are sending a CD, please send at least 3 full songs and a description of what your live show consists of (example: DJ, track show, live band, other vocalists, etc). If you have any other questions call 612-871-4444 or email Desdamona.

For more information about B-Girl Be 2005 you can visit: Intermediaarts.org or Email - bgirl@intermediaarts.org

# # #

BGB-short.jpg

WATCH THE 2005 PROMO

B-Girl Be Video Screening at U of M

flyer-72dpi.jpg

You can also print the flyer in pdf format HERE

11/21/05 - B-GIRL BE COMMUNITY GATHERING

Help a Sistah Out!: Join us for a B-Girl Be Community Gathering. We are planning B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop 2006 Summit and would like to invite you to a community gathering to give you a chance to hear what we've been planning and offer you the opportunity to give ideas and get involved!

Monday, November 21; 7:00-8:30 PM
Intermedia Arts
2822 Lyndale Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55408
612-871-4444
http://intermediaarts.org/index2.htm

B-Girl News: B-Girl Be is featured in We B'Girlz book released this month by Martha Cooper. Click here to find out more!

A B-Girl Sees...

so there's a new look to my blog - yes, yes (it has a soundtrack:: "so fresh and so clean clean"). i will (at least try to)write more, discuss more films, post more photos and definitely more videos and on vlogging. for today::

b-girl be is over and im still trying to heal my body. but requests keep coming for tour dates. up next, the gallery loop (with this clip with some of my photos of B-Girl Be added) will screen as part of Change Methods at Provisions Library in Washington, DC from July 1 - August 14.

This clip features "A B-Girl Sees...":: lyrics by SARAH WHITE, beat by RICO MENDEZ, and images by me (RAE ONE), B-Girl Peppa, B-Girl Asia One, Vivian Wen Lin, and the (Sisterz of the Underground.

Also, Nobody Knows My Name will screen on July 27 at Change Methods Film Series. I will be speaking following the film.

BGBfreeze.png

Watch Clip By Clicking HERE

and more images...

asiatnal.jpg
tiana, asia one & naloni.
during the event asia taught the baby b-girls how to paint and how to dance. every time i turned around there was a crowd of kids following her. she is proof positive that mentorship is the way to change some things right now and for the future. i'm sad that it's the end of an era - r.i.p. bboysummit . im waiting for what's next.

asiatalk.jpg
asia one's artist talk was a huge building circle. she talked about the history of the dance, east coast/west coast crew beef history and how they've worked through a lot of that, and her visions for a union for dance and hip hop artists (we need that health insurance!)

asiadance_7552.jpg
the saturday nite mainstage show was amazing. asia and b-girl shorty danced with locals b-girl seoul, daylight, madfresh and others as kuttin kandi played the breaks.

BGB_asiashorty_7458.jpg
asia one and b-girl shorty. shorty, who traveled with her mom and little brother, is only 14. again, mentorship. shorty talked about being a trained dancer in ballet and classical dance but seeing b-boys and telling her dad that she wants to get down like that.

BGB_psalmone_7475.jpg
psalm one, the only female and newest artists signed to the minneapolis-based rhymesayers entertainment drove in from chicago. her dj, spontaneous, told me that he is working on an all-female mix tapes. he's really doing his homework and digging back in history.

colorbk.jpg
i put together a free b-girl be coloring book that was a hit with the kids and adults too. i couldn't make enough copies of it. it features images by toofly, lady pink, faith47, ladykfever and many others...

crowd_7535.jpg
lots of ladies in the crowd (and men and families). lots of people came out and showed lots of luv and support.

gwenkeynote.jpg
my favorite hip hop scholar gwendolyn pough gave the keynote address. she asked, "shorty who u rollin' wit?". after this talk i felt charged, like i am not rollin' with myself. there are many of us on the same page these days.

kids.jpg
the beautiful nesra, tiana and mela, co-curators of b-girl be.

seoulcrowd.jpg
b-girl seoul sits on the red bull floor with the crowd as her backdrop.

graftalk.jpg
lady pink (nyc), with toofly (nyc) and zori4 (puerto rico) break it down during the graf talk.

sharoger.jpg
the lovely and ever-amazing sha cage (minnesota spoken word association) and roger cummings (juxtaposition arts) , a youth arts center on the northside of minneapolis.

toofly.jpg
too fly cleans up her tools of war

kandi.jpg
dj kuttin kandi performs at the ladies night mainstage, gave an artist talk, spoke after the film mixtress x and spoke on the women in media panel. her work against radio-one and hot 97 is unparalleled. check her out - kuttinkandi.com

feverpaints.jpg
with beautiful baby in the belly, ladykfever (nyc/canada) puts it down by getting up on the Intermedia Arts wall.

BGB_sarahwhite_7308.jpg
sarah white is my new favorite artist. her voice - both singing and rapping - sends chills down my spine. she fills the void since lauryn went away. she was in a group called traditional methods but is now recording on her own (with production by rico mendez). check her out HERE

des.jpg
my other most favorite is miss princessofthepoem. stop sleeping, get her album HERE

BGB_indigoeli_7223.jpg
indigo is also a beautiful up-and-comer from minneapolis, enjoying the other ladies with her son, eli.

pinkpaints_7627.jpg
over and over i was aksed, "is that lady pink, THE lady pink". yes. in the flesh.

hha.jpg
mona, rae, b-girl special t, martha diaz. the hip hop association flew in. that's luv.

images captured that moment in time...

IAsign_7680.jpg
IApink.jpg
faithinwomen.jpg
fevertoofly.jpg
IAwallside.jpg
group.jpg

If you attended B-Girl Be...

I am pulling together a summary of what happened this year and what people think about the summit to help us make our next event even better. We are also considering taking B-Girl Be on the road for a national tour in the Fall and the Spring. We would love your honest feedback, ideas, and suggestions.

By Friday, June 2th @ 4pm, please email your reponses to:
THERESA@INTERMEDIAARTS.ORG

Thanks!!
Theresa

1- How were you involved with the B-Girl Be Summit? What was your role?

2- What are some of the highlights of the event for you?

3- How has this event impacted you personally/ professionally?

4- How do you think this event has impacted the local/national/international community?

5- How do you think this event has impacted young women and girls?

6- What about the event could be improved upon or changed for next time?

7- How was your experience working with Intermedia Arts' staff on this event?

8- How was your experience working with your co-curators and advisors on this event?

9- How do you see this event in the future? Do you know artists and organizations in other communities that we should be connecting with? Funding ideas?

10- Is there any experience, conversation, or story you would like to share with us from the event?

11- Do we have your permission to quote these comments for use in fundraising, reporting and planning for next year?

12- Would you like to stay involved with B-Girl Be? If so, how?

************************
Theresa Sweetland
Community and Education Programs Manager
Intermedia Arts
Phone: 612-874-2813
Fax: 612-871-6927

www.intermediaarts.org

Mommy, Tell Me A Story About When...

when i was little i had little paint brushes with water colors that my mom bought for $1 at CVS. no one ever let me pick up a can - you'll get caught, you'll mess up this wall, you'll get your clothes dirty. well, finally that day came and i didn't have to worry about permission, Intermedia Arts gave us the whole building!, i did mess up the wall (and tiana and kid co. painted over it), i got my clothes dirty and i loved it!

tpaints.jpg
rpaint.jpg
naloni.jpg
BGB_kidspaint_7726.jpg

baby b-girl smiles of my special t.
"mommy when i grow up i want t be a b-girl filmmer, and i want to do a song with desdamona and sarah white".
she has been in her room blasting "i don't stop" (a cut off Desdamona's new CD produced by Sly & Robbie) and is actually in the shower singing a sarah white/traditional method's song right now - "it's alright...".
tpaints2.jpg
tamp.jpg

hairbraid.jpg
...and with scrunched up faces she and felipe get braided (shouts to LOS NATIVOS!).

off to a bbq, many more images to come.

B-Girl Be: Me & T

taste one-two, taste one-two.. just a quick taste.

so people have been harassing me (with luv) to blog again. i have been very very sick (too many trips to the er, carrying a portable nebulizer with car charger just to breathe, on steroids for my asthma, etc...), but im recovering slowly. so im prepping images to blog and thinking thru my reflections to share with you.

"mom, what's next for b-girl be?" asks my 7 yr old daughter, tiana. every morning she wakes up asking us to do another event. she dreams of cans and tips, beats and b-girls, and a space for her to just be free. that is what she found at b-girl be. so here's a quick flick of rae one & b-girl special t:
met_7648.jpg

more coming later today....

u shoulda bought a summit pass... (for u helen)

B-GirlBe_logo.jpg

B-Girl Be Summit Pass Available Now!
Limited Supply, Get them while you can!
BUY HERE !

Available through May 27, 2005.
$30 (summit passes will be held at Intermedia Arts to be picked up June 25, 2005 at the box office table)
This "all access" pass allows you entrance into all B-Girl Be sponsored events June 25, 2005 (after-party not included). In addition you will receive one food ticket to the B-Girl BBQ on Sunday, June 5, discounts on B-Girl Be merchandise and eligibility for giveaways.

********************************************

If you can't come to B-Girl Be.....You can still donate!
DONATE HERE!

For the past two years, the B-Girl Be Advisory Board of girls and women and Intermedia Arts have most generously devoted time, energy and expertise to put together the first B-Girl Be Summit. B-Girl Be has been made possible because of their selfless donations. Thanks to generous donations of art, labor, time, energy and funds, B-Girl Be is finally happening!

Make History! Make a Difference! Make a Donation! You too can be a part of this unprecedented event by lending a hand. Be a part of Hip-hop History by making a contribution of your own. Intermedia Arts is a 31-year old 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All contributions are tax-deductible and all donations can be acknowledged in writing for your tax purposes.

Your generous contributions (cash, in-kind, and/or volunteer time) will be used to uplift, educate and empower girls and women for the growth of the entire community. B-Girl Be will create a positive impact on young women and girls everywhere. And YOU can play a role.

*******************************************

B-Girl Be and Hip Hop Events at Intermedia Arts this week, May 9-May 16....

All events located at:
Intermedia Arts
2822 Lyndale Avenue South, Minneapolis
612-871-4444

WEDNESDAY: May 11
6:00 PM
Want to volunteer for B-Girl Be? Show up for this one hour volunteer sign-up and orientation and find our how you can get involved.
*Volunteers receive a free ticket to the main stage event on Saturday June 4th at 7:00 and free entry to every day that you volunteer.

THURSDAY: May 12
B-GIRL WORKSHOP
Stencils and Graf with Amy Swenson (ages 16 and up)
Thursday May 12; 5:308:00 pm
$5 (group rate available)
Space is limited, reservations required. bgirl@intermediaarts.org to sign up.

SATURDAY: May 14
Bring your own lunch to these brown bag dialogues with women in the Twin Cities hip-hop scene.

The Genesis of B-Girl Be: Feminist Collaborations in Practice
Saturday, May 14
Noon1:00 pm; free admission
Join in the hip-hop movement: DeAnna Cummings, Desdamona, Leah Nelson, Rachel Raimist, Melisa Rivire and Theresa Sweetland.

SUNDAY: May 15
READING & PANEL DISCUSSION
The Encyclopedia of Hip-Hop Evolution featuring Adam Mansbach
Sunday, May 15; 7:00 pm
$5 ($3 for Intermedia Arts members and youth under 17)
A Dialogue on Race, White Privilege and Social Action in The New Hip-Hop Generation.

Intermedia Arts is proud to be hosting author Adam Mansbach as part of The Encyclopedia of Hip-Hop Evolution. Mansbach will read excerpts from his new book, Angry Black White Boy or The Miscegenation of Macon Detornay, an incendiary and ruthlessly funny novel about violence, pop culture and identity in twenty-first century America. Following the reading Mansbach will participate in a community dialogue around race and the hip-hop culture with local artists, activists and academics. Books will be available for sale and Mansbach will be signing copies. Read an excerpt at Adams website. http://www.adammansbach.com/

VIEW FLYER HERE

MONDAY: May 16
The Black Book Sessions: A Twin Cities Graffiti History
w/ Chaka M'Kali
Free admission; no registration required
The Black Book Sessions is a call to bring together various graffiti and black book artists to sketch and celebrate local Twin Cities graffiti art history. Influential writers from various historical moments in local history will join each session to share their stories and vintage black books.
VIEW FLYER HERE

Questions? Email us at bgirl@intermediaarts.org or call 612-871-4444

SIGN UP!!!!

B-Girl Be is officially open and we want to share the talents and skills of local hip hop women with you! Sign up now for one, two, three or all four of these opportunities to learn from the Twin Cities' best!

FULL INFO HERE

B-Girl Be Workshops
$5 per workshop (group rates available).
Space is limited, reservations required. Call (612) 871-4444 or email bgirl@intermediaarts.org to sign up.

Lyricism and Poetry with Desdamona (ages 16 and up)
Thursday May 5; 5:308:00 pm
We will writeabout personallife experiences, experiment with collaboration, discuss and listen to work by hip hop and spoken word artists, incorporate chorus/hooks into our pieces ending with a performance of the writing from the day.

Thursday May 12; 5:308:00 pm
I will be showing the variety of surfaces that stencils can go on, the different things that can be used to create stencils and some of the tricks involved when it comes to fixing mistakes and applying an imageto a surface.

Dance with Leah Nelson and B-girl Seoul (ages 12 and up)
Thursday May 19; 5:308:00 pm
This session will cover the fundamentals of the various styles associated with breaking, popping & locking. We will start with a warm up that incorporates the basic movements. We will watch some videotapes by funk dance legends Don Campbell and the Electric Boogaloos whose style of movement have influenced current hip hop dancers. We will then create a routine together incorporating all these styles as well as some current hip -hop dance trends and end with a freestyle.

Digital Media with Rachel Raimist (ages 16 and up)
Thursday May 26; 5:308:00 pm
In this session we will deconstruct and (re)construct images of women in hip-hop. We will analyze photography, film, music videos, and print media. We will erase the beat, slow down the frame, and discuss why and how these images are so powerful. This is also an opportunity to talk about how you can get involved in documenting (filming/photographing/writing) the b-girl be summit.

Graffiti Black Book Sessions: Freestyle Twin Cities Graffiti History
Mondays, May 930; 7:009:00 pm
Over the month of May, Monday night Black Book Sessions are a call to bring together various graffiti and black book artists to sketch and celebrate local Twin Cities graffiti art history. Influential writers from various historical moments in local history will join each session to share their stories and vintage black books. This is a rare event that encapsulates the visual expression and the oral history from the last twenty years of local Twin Cities graffiti history. The collection of current and historical black book pieces derived from these sessions will be on exhibit in this first of its kind show at Intermedia Arts from June 2August 13.

Saturday, May 14
Noon1:00 pm; free admission
Join local artists-activists-academics in the hip-hop movement: DeAnna Cummings, Desdamona, Leah Nelson, Rachel Raimist, Melisa Rivire and Theresa Sweetland.

Open Forum: Women in the Twin Cities Hip-Hop Scene
Saturday, May 21
Noon1:00 pm; free admission
A space for you to build on local energy and local artists and to discuss ideas to support women in this community.

volunteer
Want to get involved? Register now to volunteer for the B-Girl Be Summit June 2-5, 2005. 612-871-4444 or bgirl@intermediaarts.org.
Volunteer Orientation, May 11, 6-8 pm

crawling...

seoul.jpg

b-girl seoul and desdamona open the b-girl be gallery expo

we finally did it. the gallery is up and open. the pary was a sucess. i won't repeat all the beautiful details. the homegirls - mj and des have already done that.

it's a miracle but i got video loop done. and it was a hit. the loop is an hour of exclusive footage of women in hip-hop like these:
bgirlvid.jpg

so people - old, young, white, black, asian, brown, mixed... - waited in line to get into the video room. the loop runs an hour but people were in there for two hours. that's almost overwhelming to me. the footage and edits go back a decase for some of the work. it's been collecting dust on my shelf of tapes (thousands of hours of footage). and now i've put it to work. apparently at the after party people were asking how they could buy it. so "b-girl be: the documentary" is in the making. dvd for sale next fall [cross your fingers]!

another highlight the Moxie cut-a-thon. my beautiful daughter cut off all of her hair. her hair was nearly touching the bottom of her back and now it's in the cutest angled bob. loving it!

moxiegallery.jpg

so the b-girl be crawl is in full movement. check intermedia arts . COME THRU!

up next:
WORKSHOPS>>>>
B-Girl Be Youth Workshops

Thursday May 5; 5:308:00 pm

Stencils and graf with Amy Swenson (ages 16 and up)
Thursday May 12; 5:308:00 pm

Thursday May 19; 5:308:00 pm

Thursday May 26; 5:308:00 pm

DIALOGUES>>>>>
Saturday, May 14
Noon1:00 pm; free admission

Saturday, May 21
Noon1:00 pm; free admission

B-Girls!

if u peep Peppa's blog, you'd see a sneak peep of Martha Cooper's flicks for We BGIRLZ of some of the lovely Cali b-girls. Like this one:

bgirlz.bmp

Martha Cooper has agreed to give us a sneak peak for B-Girl Be Visual Expo. I can't wait!Just wish I could finish editing the video installation.

People have been generous with footage (some more is en route), and folks like Sarah White (Traditional Methods) who are making pieces for the looping soundtrack.

I'M HYPED!

SEEKING: DIGITAL IMAGES > GRAF GIRLS

SEEKING: DIGITAL PHOTOS OF GRAF WALLS PAINTED BY WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD

for B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip-Hop VISUAL ARTS EXPO, opening April 22nd at Intermedia Arts. The gallery and event run April - June 2005. I am producing a projection of walls (and buses, trains, planes, any public spaces) painted by women around the world that will loop in the gallery for the two-month long event. High resolution images preferred (300 dpi, but will accept 72dpi and up). There is no limiton the number of submissions per artist.

>> Please LABEL IMAGES (or note in body of email) - artist name and location of wall (city/state/country).

>> EMAIL images by APRIL 1 to: raim0007@umn.edu
or mail a CD to:
Intermedia Arts
Attn: B-Girl Be / Rachel Raimist
2822 Lyndale Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55408

For more info on the event check www.intermediaarts.org/bgirlbe.html

the hype is building!

from the startribune -

LADIES IN DA HOUSE
>
> Wednesday's "Commingle" fashion, art and music show at the Fine Line
> sounds like a lively affair, but it's also a fundraiser for an
> upcoming event that really has people talking: the B-Girl Be Summit.
>
> Planned for June at Intermedia Arts in Minneapolis, the festival will
> be an all-female hip-hop showcase. If you know anything about
> mainstream hip-hop, you know that women have mostly been relegated to
> dancing behind some ugly guy rapper and acting as if he's hotter than
> diamond bling. B-Girl Be will fight the trend via female rappers, DJs,
> artists, poets, filmmakers and leaders.
>
> "Our hopes are to involve as many women from the hip-hop community as
> possible," said spoken-word artist and chief B-Girl Desdamona, who
> helped curate the women's nights in Intermedia's "Encyclopedia of
> Hip-Hop Evolution" series.
>
> Those nights proved to be some of the most popular in the series and
> set the summit in motion.
>
> For now, the work is mostly in fundraising and getting the word out.
> Wednesday's show will feature "urban-inspired" fashion and art and
> performances by Delicious Venom, Jistoray and Desdamona (7:30 p.m.,
> $12-$15). Look for other events and ways to support the summit soon.
>
> Meanwhile, one of the rising women in the local scene, poet and rapper
> Dessa, celebrates the release of her Doomtree CD, "False Hopes," with
> Cecil Otter at the Triple Rock on Saturday (5 and 10 p.m.).
>