Recently in 2. Analysis of 2 Digital Stories Category

sappp

Sacrificios by Emestro Ayala
I loved this story because it shows the effort that the narrator's grandparents have given to support their family. It also gives specific reasons why Emestro chose to write this story. It deeply gives you the process and purposes his powerful story. This reminds me of my brother helping seven of my family when we were in Kenya. He spent all day and night working to support us with everything we needed. He told us that there was almost nothing he didn't do to bring us to the United States of America but it just didn't work the way he wanted to do it. However, even though it took him longer, he did accomplish his goal when he brought all of us to this country. He was so proud of himself so were we. We are proud of him forever and lover him forever. I feel like he shaped my life by bringing me to this country. Without him we would have been nowhere nobody ever knew. I thank him from the bottom of my heart and I do try to respect him as much I can. When I compare my brother's life to Sacrificios grandparents' life, they are pretty similar even though my brother didn't work in a field. He has been working as receptionist in a restaurant and a cashier at Wall Mart. There is always some point where stories are related.
challlenge-3.jpg

Irock

Muna's life challenge
I like this story because I could tell it is true and understandable. It is very clear by showing the images of what was the challenge Muna Ali as she lived in a refugee camp in Kenya and living in the United States without health care. I feel like she had faced difficulties throughout her life story. I could tell that by looking at her pictures and the she makes when she talks. I think this is the most emotional and story ever. I loved the she begins her story from beginning to the end without stopping it. I can also reflect on my own story as listened to her voice and the words she uses. Even though it has not happened there are many of my friends who have lost their family or close relatives this way. I myself have faced obstacles throughout my life. For example would be when I first came to this country. I didn't speak any English, which made me feel so stupid. Then I found out that I was not stupid but struggling to explore new opportunities and learn something new. Then I discovered that everything could be complicated when you begin, but will be all right after a while. Nothing has the power over you to hold your life back when it comes to your future. You would struggle but off course everything would pay off someday.... Perhaps Muna might see some changes in her life. I can imagine how she feels but I just can't help her. I wish I could!
challlenge.jpg

Hawe's Stories Analysis

final edition.png

Family: Final edition By Luke Clarke
It is very nice story describing the relationship with his kids. I liked the ways he used to explain when he lost his job and where get his other job. He used different methods such as video, photos, text, voice, and sounds. One of the interesting things about this video is not forgetting what happened to him in the past and considering that moment as a memorable time for him. The other thing that I understand from his video, text and pictures is that in he will never forget about his dad's death on his anniversary because it was only couple day before his anniversary. I believe connecting his father's feeling to his own feeling about his children as a dad now makes his life easier because he is having the same experience as his dad did. The important theme about this story is when his said "don't let your work keep you away from your children." He was convincing his son not to be far away from his family. On the other hand I think it could have been better if he had more of the video rather than pictures. For example, in his story he told us he is the fourth from his family and showed us a picture. My question was how do I suppose due know who he was in the picture? The other option he could have done is using a picture which has only him not the whole family. Other than that it is very informative because it helps us to remember our life as a child and how the things change time to time.

hope rising.png

Health - Hope Rising by Helen Gallegos
Helen used different type of method to describe her story such as pictures, black screen, voice, text, sound and art work. One of the most thing I liked about her story was she began telling her story from the high-quality side and slowly moved to the shocking side of her story. I really feel sorry for her for losing her lovely husband and for having cancer. She used a very strong art work to show us what happened to her. Especially the art work she used by drawing herself and writing all over it was very helpful to understand her story. The other thing I like about her is she is very honest person because there are some people who have had a cancer and try to hide it. To me this story was very helpful because I taught a lot from it .for example, she couldn't believe what the doctor was telling her because she have never thought about having cancer. If this shown pictures and art work were a video it could have been better to understand the story and her emotional feelings at that time. I loved all her explanation because she state things that is most important for her in her life. The title of her story goes well enough with her story because when she lost her husband she said even walking to the kitchen was hard for her. She might be worried about being lonely after her husband past away but she was strong person to stop thinking about the past and moved forward with her life.

Love through Friendship and Family

*Note: Click on image for each individual story*

Strength in Love by Eric

Strength in Love by Eric represented many teen books found in the library about teenage struggles and finding a better future, but this wasn't a book. It was his life story. The distinct reason why I felt that Eric's was a masterpiece was the ability to speak from his heart and sharing his history in a tone even an elementary student would be able to sense the honesty and difficulty of his background. More on the technical aspect, they matched up perfectly. The pacing suited not only the moments of the story given but also the song played in the background. The style used at the beginning was unique using a sentimental memory and broke the ice with the audience with a slight joke. As a viewer I was able to feel a strong connection with Eric, sensing the lost of security he had growing up but getting another chance with the help of one person who made the difference in his life and believing in trusting people. A lot of images and photos were used to match along the story. Sometimes the pieces were partial and others full screen, it served a purpose of showing how connection can be broken but also gained in human relationships through love and care. My favorite moment would have to be when his coach defended him. Even though they only had a coach and student relationship it did not stop the coach from defending a person who did not deserve to be called names. A story that brings hope in my eyes to see that people out there is willing to help a person they might not know fully but understands the concept of respect each human being is entitled to.

Dear Jody

Dear Jody by Sasha Charles delivered a simple message not meant for us but for her younger brother whom she loves dearly. Sasha deals with losing the one person most important to her growing up and having to be observed when given the chance to meet her baby boy. The beginning started off with the view of writing a letter and followed up with the voice of Sasha reciting the beginning lines Then continues with the letter with the assistance of pictures and even a recording lapping with a picture, showing a nice technical technique that draws in the viewer because movement catches eyes and with getting the attention of an audience is half the battle. Sasha does a wonderful job getting her frustration across with the foster care because she chose to have a short clip showing her emotion across her face rather then in a single picture. Connection was easier made when a background was given for the audience so it was structurally well selected and can see that though there were few pictures of her and her brother, she cared for his achievements and his future. The digital story used repetition from the beginning with the picture of her and her brother and once more at the end. To me it symbolizes that though time has changed who they are as a person but it does not change the love and bond they share.

Analysis of 2 Digital Story

Untitled-1.jpg

I have never though music can save someone's life until this video which made me to think about sometime something that is too little can make huge save of someone's life. Here is Julie who use to carry always music in her pocket even when she is about sleep. When she was 12years old, music saved her life. She didn't have someone who could help her life. She had situation to deal with in her life. She was emotional person it was difficult for her the way she was dealing her depress and it was indescribable when she want to do something she never had the she would like happy and smell when she was by herself she was unhappy use to feel lonely.
She use to listen music loud to make sure she was living normal life. She appreciates the way music save her life from death. Her depression never stop until eight grade she felt she had going throw a lot in her life and decided to study music in her future life. She spend lot of money to pay MB3 player she downloaded a lot of music. She spend a lot of time her life could be over if there was not music in the world. She had gained a lot experience in her life she never stops her dreams come true. On freshman high school she bought more music equipment like CD her music helped her to be better person for life in a future and she learn about how music saved her life. She is going to study music in her future. I learn a lot about music can save anybody's life.

Analysis of 2 Digital Story

Untitled-1.jpg

Analysis of 2 Digital Story

Untitled-1.jpg

Strength in Love

BHC1.jpg

http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=7

The struggle of a young man looking for love is another truly sad, yet happy ending story. Eric, a young Mexican man, decides to leave his life of homelessness and poverty behind as he takes the ultimate step and decides to live with his former basketball coach who ends up taking him in. If anyone was in his shoes under his circumstances, it is only wise to have done what he has done. As Eric escapes from his terrible past, it is assuring that he finds love in the end.
This story is very touching, such that Eric gets this one moment to escape from a life that no one should have to live, and he takes it upon himself to seek a better life. One of the most influential things about this story is how Eric's basketball coach gave love to Eric. Eric, feeling love, is forever changed. Having told the story, Eric says, "I felt like a monkey jumped off my back", thus indicating his appreciation for having found love from two caring people who decided to take care of him.
Eric is a survivor. Surviving on nothing for most of his childhood and joining gangs can really leave a person with a one sided view on the world, but taking the time to talk about his story has helped him tell the world his struggles, and his fortune. With just a little bit of love, maybe every can help kids like what Eric used to be have a home, family, and ultimately love. One of the most moving aspects Eric used that touched me the most was the music he decided to put in to set the tone for each point in his life.

Analysis of Digital Videos

Kevin.PNGStrength in Love
By: Eric
Source: storycenter.org

Strength in Love is the story of a young man, Eric, who has gone through so many experiences with Thanksgiving dinners. From sitting under a tree alone and eating a whopper to finally getting the chance to transition into a warm home on Thanksgiving , something that has been an important factor that has help mold this young man's life. I myself have been through experiences that have helped mold me into who I am today but not to the extent that he had. Just imagining myself in his shoes is a horrid thought because at such an age, who can imagine not having a welcoming home to return to after a long day of school, not having a nice cooked meal waiting for you at home. It just makes you think, what did this child do wrong that his parents are not taking responsibility as his parents to care for him? What change occurred that made them realize now that they didn't want to be responsible parents, why now, why not sooner, why not later? This video touched me because it's a real experience that says that there is kindness out there, there are people who care.

From the very beginning I knew that the emotional content would be good because his p.o.v along with the visuals (the pictures and how they appeared) connected with what he was saying. Almost everything he spoke about had a visual such as a photo, and the way that visual was represented also connected well with what he was saying. For example when he talked about going back to school, he showed an image of layering books, putting and emphasis on that idea. There were two soundtracks present and I liked how he organized this, the beginning was this low soft music, allowing Eric to use his gift of voice, as it slowly transitions into the second half of this story there is a new soundtrack, one that is more overpowering then before and gives off a feeling of a happy ending. During this part Eric does not talk. I feel that this gave me the chance to rethink about everything he said and take it all in, it allowed me to sort of see myself in his shoes and appreciate the fact that I have a family and that he who has overcome so many obstacles now has a loving and caring family. The transition of the types of pictures present in the first part of the video to the pictures towards the end allows us to see his whole transition. From symbolic pictures that represented his experiences to actual pictures of him and his new family help us understand his overall experience better. It shows us that he really is happy now and really is thankful for the Brandt family.

Hope Rising- Helen's unique battle with cancer

mono mood hope rising.pngHope Rising
      Helen's honesty in her digital story was something one could relate to, or find it truthful. The attitude, the sound, one can tell it in her voice that the cancer dramatically affected her. Her true expression of how she felt about her doctor was truthful and believable. The true feelings in a person when in a frustrating or angering position are to mostly swear and she did not hold back. The wedding photo and the plans she had which aluminates the happiness to be shattered by the cancer. And during her depression period one can feel how she saw her self from her undecorative face paint. It is quite troubling but that is as close as it can get to show how she felt, for one can sense the depression up to this moment in her voice.  
    It is quite inspiring to see that sometimes one has to take matters into their own hands to succeed. She went to different places to deal with her problems, abandoning the drugs, giving it back to the doctors with notes that said she would not be taking the drugs anymore. She went to cancer support group, yoga classes, and volunteered. Doing all this activities, including not being selfish, even though she is sick helped her find strength.
    It is a step back not see any happiness in her, even though she has changed her ways, and achieved strength to use a chainsaw. She should be a little excited, but she does sound like she still has a lot to work on and that this storytelling is another way of doing that. The message sent by this video is to take matters into one's own hands, not abandoning your treatments but to pander on the idea of who knows your body more than you, what makes you s-m-i-l-e =]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Becoming a Father

BHC.jpg

Dave Norgart, a corrupted man who values drugs over everything else, even his own kids, goes through rehabilitation and self improvement methods when he realizes that his daughter is being sent to foster care. His realization of his responsibilities as a father is a lesson for us all, one that has changed his life forever and possibly yours. By listening to this sad, slow paced story, maybe one will be moved and not make the same mistake that Dave has made and learn from his mistakes.
http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=6

As a young man, I have not experience the life of a father, but because of Dave, I know to avoid the life of drugs so I won't have to go through fatherhood training or anything kind of self help. I felt as if this story was promoting the 24/7 Dad's crew, which I honestly think is a great group. It is definitely one that should be available, not only to bad fathers, but to everyone and one that should be recognized.
Dave Norgart answers the questions of why he is telling the story by writing, "To help other addicts become a father that their children deserve, and to show other fathers that there is a better life if they work for it." His digital storytelling is a lesson for us all by explaining how drugs have ruined his life, especially his family. By using photos, repetition, vocals, and truth, the story of Dave is one that touches all fathers out there. Dave is a true man, honest to society, honest to his family, honest to himself.

young legacy.pngM.S.K. Running  Analysis

Morne Solomon talks about remembering when he was 7 and he is only 13 years old, and this is interesting; for, one the memory is more fresh than trying to remember when you were seven at the age of 50 and also being able to find that moment in time meaningful. He remembers being bitten by a snake, showing that there are more pains than the one brought up by family problems that he is aware of. He understands who was on his side when his father passed away at age 7 and that alcohol was a problem in his family.Drawing of his Auntie truly captures how caring or how much he appreciated what she did for him after the social worker took him away from his mother.
    Although his life was quite depressing and it should be for a 13 year old boy that understands all those painful things in life, from loosing a father at age 7 to having problem with alcohol in his house. He still managed to find the positive, playing soccer, or rugby and understands what he needs in order to succeed, "keeping a good attitude and doing his homework."
    Although it was quite difficult at times to understand what he was saying, one could understand where he was going and that he is in a position to achieve just about anything with that attitude and goals. He not only focuses on the problem he has but also of the community outside his home. He wants people to feel safe.
    I was not particularly attracted by the tile of the story but know I have seen it, I just can't imagine not seeing/ hearing his story. He is the future leader of South Africa, conflicting but amazing consideration of his future and of others in his country.

Analysis of 2 Digital stories

Untitled-2.jpg

This story has something to learned from it which is hope never ends what mean bay that is how this guy his life started a very good way he had everything in his life when his mom had the job from golden gate university. Because of she was getting old and they need someone to replace her even though she spent a lot time with them they didn't respect that and put her where she didn't put them.
But all of sudden everything change she didn't know what she can do the rest of her life. She had to run away from her house because she didn't have anyone that could help her situation. Her mom which had some money pays the rent. She finally got help from her coworker she realize that the company did not have a good reason and look for lawyer and got one because the reason they didn't like her she was getting old but she was not that old at all and that was not good reason to kick out some his or her job. She went to court and when her case by pulling more evident that was clarify she is person could work but tin her job.
This made the company to feel guilty in the court. She won the money and now everyone wants the money the money effect her life and she became depress. Every think was falling apart and she her son was felt very bad about what happen to his mom and working on to get back her life the way she use to and sadly he couldn't something change he met someone called jun which became part of his life jun is to give advice to stay strong very thing will end good

Stories Analysis

father and daughter.png

What You Wanted by Genevieve Critel
What I Wanted is a story the Critel wanted to let the people in the world know how sad it's to live without a father. She explain how her father passed away by his heart attack, but by mistake, Critel and her mother thought her dad passed away be car accident. She talked about her dad was the first in his family who graduated from high school and months later after the graduation, he took the bus to the State University as the first
Generation. When her father passed away, all he left her was his chemistry book and the memory of good times when she was little. She thought her father taught her stuffs that are over her head. It was surprise her, at the age of nine, once her father asked her, "How are you." "Are you happy." "Live for you not anyone else." Her father quit his job that's been working for 20 years and return to the farm land that he's raised.
The sound track of the music is very effective. It goes pretty well along with the pictures and the author's voice. It remind me of the time when I was a child and my father was far away, so I called my brother "father." Making this story is a way to shares her the story of her relationship with her father. Although my father is still alive but I like this story because it will remind all of us who's lost their love ones think of how much they miss them. The main point of choosing this story is because I think it's pretty nice that the author shares this story with everyone and it's pretty connected to the reality life. Everyone had experienced or will experience of losing someone they love throughout their life.

a son.png

I Think of You by Ann Guido
I Think of You is how a much a mother would miss her son when he is away from home and never return again. Although he's really far away but the good memory that in her mind would never be erased or forgotten. She tried to keep the journal as a mother and son from the time when the little son till he's an adult. She was shocked when seeing that her son's hair is different from the old times when he was a little boy. The time back in when he was with his teacher and friends. Mother will never forget about her son from the time when she take her to the daycare. The little boy who was still putting his thump in his mouth and crying and looking all over the place for his mother. From days to time, that will always stick on the mother mind and never be forgotten.
The way the author put the picture make me think that she must miss her son more than any other things in the world because she put only pictures of him. It might've been better if the author put some kind of track along with the picture. The way the author talks makes me think about the time when I was back in Laos thinking about my dad all the time because he wasn't with my family. It's pretty related to my life story, that's the main point why I chose this story to analyse.

CDS: Analysis

Vigil.Olga.jpgBruises By: Olga Vigil

In the video Bruises by: Olga Vigil, she applies v.o. (voice over) to cover her story of what she had to tell. Behind her v.o. she applied instrumental music with a few vocals that sounded like angels singing. She applied photographs of her parents, her daughter, lockers, and herself. With the photographs, she used techniques such as zoning in and out, and side to side movements to make it feel like someone was actually walking in her position at her school.
Olga Vigil also applied a map to show from what point her and her parents moved from Mexico to the United States. Olga adding a video of her daughter, who is the love of her life, was to show how important her child meant to her. She applied things that affected her as a student at school, showing scenery and movement through hallway pictures and movement of how a person would walk pass by. Olga Vigil makes us view it from her point of view through the school and what she had dealt with.
Olga also applied emotions to make you feel for each scene she described. It began from being sad, miserable, stressed, overwhelmed, and unsatisfied, to happy, grateful, and thankful for experiences in her life that changed her overall as a person. Olga Vigil applied her words to the pictures at the moment that they were displayed. Applying words at the end with a black scenery and white letters made it stand out and look powerful to the audience.

works cited page:
- Vigil, Olga. Bruises. June 2009. Burlington, Ontario, Canada. http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=3. June 23, 2010.

CDS: ANALYSIS

RachelLee.jpg The Odle Farm By: Rachel Lee
Rachel Lee applies some creativity into her video. She uses v.o. (voice over), music, and photos to get her point across to her audience. Rachel applies a post card as her intro. As the post card is being displayed, she zooms in onto that card and what catches the eyes of the viewers is the title of her piece. Within the scenes she makes her voice over flow with the rhythm of the photos that she applied to it.
Rachel uses music similar to a country side feeling. Using instrumental music to flow with the scenery of the photos she displayed gave a poetic and calm feeling to what she had to state to her audience. She applies the photos as she is reminiscing the times that she remembered being on the country side, farming, taming animals, and lying in the fields. She applied her mother instincts with her feeling of happiness from an area she remembered growing up on.
Rachel Lee begins with a strong voice, like she was able to let go. As she continued further on, her tone changes from happy and energetic to disappointment because she thinks about the past good times she had on the fields of the farms. Rachel's connection with a certain area haunts her and she shows it through the pacing of her voice, where nothing could help her get away from the good times she has had with the ones closest to her. Everything she remembers is related to the territory she had grown up on. Rachel Lee is disappointed in the end due to her little knowledge of knowing what has happened to the land she has grown up on.

Works Cited Page:
-Lee, Rachel. The Odle Farm. June 2009. Lyons, CO. http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=8. June 23, 2010.

Digital Short Reflections

Learning to Ride by Rachel Pater
bike.JPG This digital short is about a father and daughter relationship. Her father has always been silly and outgoing. As a young kid, Rachel Pater always enjoyed being around him because they always had a blast together, but slowly their relationship begins to drift. She was soon embarassed by his actions. Transitioning from "daddy's" little girl to becoming a woman she narrates and explains her feelings of discovering herself. One of the things that they always did together was ride a 2 person bicycle. I believe the bicycle represented their family bond and relationship. When she was younger when riding the bicyle, everyone would always point and watch them pass. While they would joke and laugh at the other people riding single bicycles. I like how she uses photographs of herself from her childhood and of her father being silly. It made the digital short more personal I believe. I also liked the music she used. It was upbeat and did not cover or mass her voice over. I like how she had a bird's eye view of her riding her bicylcle, where we only saw the front tires and the sidewalk as she was narrating their memories of riding. I felt like this digitial short was very relatable, especially with me. As a daughter, I believe that I would always be "daddy's" girl, but as time goes we have to transtion into accepting our relationship. I also enjoyed the ending where she realizes that it's okay to be silly and included a picture of her, just being who she is.

The Power to Believe by Fred Amador
fred.JPG The Power to Believe is about a young man, named Fred Amador who didn't have much confidence in himself in his high school years. He thought of himself as not 'college material' and didn't fully apply himself to school or life. Until one day a teacher challenged him to take courses that he would never have thought about taking such as college preparatory classes. Eventually, the young man started to believe in himself and applied to college and got accepted. He excelled in his years and once he finally graduated. He began to think about graduate school. At first he doubted himself, but he looked back and remembered the words of his high school teacher and decided to take a chance. Fred was accepted to graduate school and is now a counselor at the college he attended, where he will now be able to help other students with their decisions. Although the digital short did not have background music, the speaker's voice was loud and clear. I felt like there was no need for music. The images he used and his voice fit well together. He included many personal photos, which I enjoyed because it felt more personable and welcoming. The transitioning of the images were clear and precise. Overall, the digital short was fun and personable. It is relatable in the sense that we have all felt like we weren't "good" enough for a certain thing, but this digital short provides motivation and an example to those who have once felt or is feeling this way. I also liked how he started and ended with the same photograph of his high school teacher.

Story Analysis

Hands.bmp
Sade shares her experience about being a "nobody" through a very inspirational piece. Her introduction included her talking in front of the camera which then transitioned into a voiceover while pictures where being shown to symbolize her words. Her voiceover caught my attention because she wasn't just talking about her story as if she was reading a script; she presented her voiceover in the form of a poem. The words flowed so well together and the words that she chose to show her emotions were real. The images that she used to represent parts of her poem stuck to me. For example, one part of her video she says, "And with the bars kept my family too hard to confide in..." with a picture of an African American arm hanging out from bars. This stuck out to me because the words were so deep that the connection with the picture clicked and was embedded into my mind.

I enjoyed the overall product of her video. I thought her video did a pretty good job on including a beginning, middle and an end to her story. She introduced her story as to why she's always felt like a "nobody", and how her past has shaped her and how important it was for her to connect with someone. The most important message in this video was the significant impact her second social worker had on her life. When Sade used text in her video, it gave the video a nice pause from all of the music and from her voice. I felt like this was a great way to let the viewer process what was happening and how she felt during that process. As for the music, I thought it was fitting to the pictures and mood. I liked that she used an instrumental piece in the beginning then flowed into a song that she voiced over. Although there was still music in the background behind her voiceover, the music was low enough to still allow the viewer to hear both. I thought this piece was intriguing because after all of the social workers Sade went through, she became a social worker.

Reliving those Childhood Days by Jacqueline Woon

The interesting aspect to Woon's video is that throughout her video, all of the pictures that are shown are all her personal pictures of her family members. She not only used pictures of just herself but also included pictures of every single one of her family members. She chose an interesting instrumental piece of music that correlated pretty well throughout her presentation. She also did a voiceover which I thought she did just an ok job at. I would've preferred to of seen her work more with being in front of the camera and or text. I think being able to let the viewer have a moment of silence to themselves plays a really important role. This technique would allow the viewer to think about what happened so far and how the story's message is important to the storyteller.

I thought the narrative was a bit boring. The first line pulls you in with Woon saying, "There was never a down moment growing up with a family of seven". This captured my interest into finding out as to why there was never a down moment. I felt like her narrative was really long, I wanted to know more about what role she played as the unexpected daughter. She did mention about how her siblings treated her and how they all got along, but I wanted to know more. One thing I did enjoy about the narrative was similar to her pictures; she talked about everyone in her family. She didn't just focus on herself but instead her family as a whole which definitely showed the importance of her family.

N. Vicky Vue

Untitled from storycentre on Vimeo.

Vicky Vue
Digital Storytelling Class
June 23 2010

Every child wants to ensure to their parents that they are safe and that no matter where they all in the world, their parents will forever be in their hearts. Storyteller Shane conveys this message in his media short story contribute to his dead mother.
Shane begins the story with a silent testimony of a significant point in his life. Like a good story, he manage to grab the reader's interest by telling the unusual circumstance. At age twelve, Shane is met with an awkward confrontation from his dad. Dad had just revealed the truth about their relationship: not a drop of blood is share between them.

Adam's 2 DSA

SIL.jpg

Strength in love
I like this story because it tells a story similar to the Blindside. Instead it is about a young man named Eric. He was homeless at a young age and remembered eating outside for thanksgiving. He joined a gang because he needed a family to take care of him. He was stabbed a few years later after joining. He then went back to school and wanted to start a new life. He joined the basketball team and one day his coach saw him doing his homework at a park. His coach invited him to come to dinner. Then later his coach took him in for good. Now he had a family. I like this digital story because his voice over was so strong. I can hear the loneliness in his voice. The music was really effective because it was an instrumental. The instrumental was louder the end. The ending was happy. The picture in the beginning showed a family picture at the dinner table. What made it effective was that it was cut up, which showed the disconnection between the character and his family. The black screen pauses between the slides also effective and showed sadness. The constant pictures of scenery's without people represented loneliness. Most of the pictures were dark. The dark pictures made it seem very sad. He didn't have any text in the digital story film. His story gives me hope that everybody can achieve just got to go out there and get help. This is an everyday problem. Nobody wants to be homeless.

Urban Sophistication-2.jpg

Mixed Race Me
This digital story is very catchy. The author rhymes with her words. She uses a lot of personal pictures which is very helpful for the watcher to understand. She also has lots of symbolic images. She has a voice over that sounds very confidant. It makes the reader feel good about Yunnie Tsao Snyder. In the digital story that she creates she wants people to know who she is. She does it by telling the watcher about her voice and how she wants the watcher to hear only her voice and not others. There is also an instrumental in the background. It makes the mood nice and relaxed. It doesn't make u feel mad or sad, so she does a good job in picking out her music. She talks about her culture and what she wants people to look at her. She is informative on that because she repeats it sometimes. She tells us that she is half Japanese and half white. She doesn't look Japanese at all, yet she looks more like an American. She also said that she wants to live up to her legacy. She is not ashamed of her culture but rather proud of it. What she talks about is the truth. She presents it like it is spoken word. She tells her story through a poem, and her poem represents her voice. That's why her digital story is good to me. It hooked me in by the way she presented herself through a poem with pictures.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 2. Analysis of 2 Digital Stories category.

1. Intro / "Top 10" / Self Portrait is the previous category.

3. Digital Story (video) is the next category.