Recently in 2. Analysis of 2 Digital Stories Category

Response to 2 Digital Stories

After watching the video Breaking Free, I was amazed at how he could overcome all those obsticles and still end up being a successful person. His mother left him at a young age and his father use to beat him and his siblings for no appearent reason. Then when the services took him away it was not that bad until they decided to split up his siblings and that is when he blocked out the world. It took two deaths for him to realize that life is worth living and that you should never give up. He then started public speaking and doing work with kids that were in similar positions to him and trying to help them become better people. I liked the video because it was short and to the point. He also gave a brief history of his background and then also gave a brief explaination of what he is doing today. I also like the pictures he had and how it all was not just a slide show but it showed him walking like he was in deep thought and it also showed him posted on the wall a couple of times. The only i wish it would have done is explain what that sign was he was flashing at the beginning of the video. Was he in a gang of sorts? Who knows? We don not because he did not explain that. Other than that i thought it was a very well put together video with a very intriguing story.
The second story i read was sofas. After reading sofas i felt really bad for the homeless. I wondered what questions they asked themselves before they went to sleep every night or if they even asked themselves questions at all. If they were content with being homeless or did they eventually want to get a place they can call home instead of changing that place every night. The story sofas is by a man named Wayne Richard. He was born on the south side of Chicago and was raised by his maternal grandmother. He loved the sofa at his grandmothers house and admitted that he spent a lot of time there and he said that that is where he would often crash. His grandmother passed and he was then forced to move to a foster home. New home, which means new sofa. He wasn't at first comfortable with his new sofa nor was he comfortable at all but he eventually got over his demons and grew up to help other people that were homeless or once were. I like the video because it showed a lot of sofas in a lot of random places. To me that symbolizes how his childhood wasn't always so stable. I also like his voice and how it just kind of blends with the story. The soundtrack was also good too. It wasn't super sad music but it wasn't super happy music either. It describes the mood perfectly.

Tori's 2 Digital Stories

Just Being There
This is a strong, moving, inspirational video. It is about a doctor or a social worker that hears the stories, complaints, and the cries of ordinary children every single day. I really enjoyed this digital storytelling film because it showed the true innocence of children, and how they look at the world a little differently from us teenagers and young adults. This man comes across questions every day when he is at work that it is not easy to answer, and there is no such answer to those questions either. There are questions such as: Why did mommy kill daddy? Why did my sister have to go away? Those questions are not very easy ones to answer, or even to come across. I agree with him when he says that it is amazing how children are able to find their way back into the world with such great of a loss, because most of us adults would not be able to do the same thing, even though we have had much greater experiences and knowledge in our lives compared to children. But, simply being with the children will help them get over their losses. Children like to talk about the things that are going on in their lives, because it does not only provide just a friend for the kids, but it also helps them to express themselves to get over their losses. One of the more disturbing parts in this story is when the child's parents get carried away in the body bag, and the doctor tells about the child's reaction.

Paul Thomas Clements -- Just Being There from Daniel Weinshenker on Vimeo.

Kevin's Digital Story
I did not necessarily agree with this story, nor disagree with his ways or values. I thought it was very interesting, and totally new to what I had ever seen before. His story was very different, one of the most different stories around today, I believe. Kevin was not always Kevin. He was born a female. As the years went on, he did not feel like a female. He always argued with his parents when they tried to make him wear a dress, and he always went against all social norms. He never acted female, and was always a tomboy. His parents quickly decided something was wrong with him, and set him up to see a social worker. The social worker listened and listened very hard. When she finally decided what was wrong with him, she suggested that she turn male. All the clues fit in well, according to her. He was a man stuck in a women's body. He got made fun of for being a lesbian at the time. All the other teenagers were quick to the punch by calling him a "lesbian" or "dyke". I do not necessarily think this is right, and it was very hurtful for the teenagers to be saying those kinds of mean things. It can show how if your different, society is not going to be easy on letting people off the hook for being different, and that is why I thought it was so interesting.

torilalala.jpg

http://www.youthtrainingproject.org/article.php?id=98

Ashley's Analysis for Digital Story 2

sisandbro.jpg.jpg

Sasha is a foster child that has and younger brother. She started off her digital story demonstrating her writing a letter to her brother. The reason I think she chose to start this was so the viewers can see that this just isn't a digital story but a letter to her brother in video form.The picture of her brother and her embracing appeared twice in her story. I believe she showed this picture to show the viewers how close she and her brother  were and how she loved him so dearly. A black screen appeared when she talked about the harsh life they faced and when she told us about her mother being abused. I'm convinced she chose a black screen to show the darkness and sadness she and her brother felt during that time. Their lifestyles were really harsh and they lived in poor conditions. She didn't necessary state the reason of the separation in her story, but I believe these conditions are why she and her brother were separated. She loved her brother very much and wanted best for him. After the separation her grades began to drop in school, she started to get in fights, and she was suspended from school multiple times. I suppose she chose to show and tell these things to inform the viewers how much the separation and the situation itself had such an effect on her. The music she chose fits the video well. There weren't lyrics in the music that clashed with her voice over. I wonder what happened to their parents. I also wonder if their mother is doing well and is she trying to retrieve custody of her children.

watch this

Ashley's Analysis for Digital Story 1

The first slide of this video was a picture of the world. By viewing the picture of the world and hearing the tone of the music that was playing, I felt a sense of sadness however if the music was more emotional and mournful, there would be a bigger effect. The context of this video was about Brazil and the heavy amount of street children they have. The author is trying to inform the viewer that there is a serious problem in Brazil due to the lack of homes and families who don't care for their children. These children are getting into drugs, crime, and other unsafe activities and the public are not trying to help reduce this issue. This video displays faces of children that look like they are in need of help and tender loving care. I think the author is to reach out to people to let them know that although Brazil is a beautiful country, they need aid because the officials there aren't really making a difference. There isn't any effects used in this video which, I think is a good thing because the video doesn't need any and also the effects might take away from the video. I feel that this video isn't too short or too long and it gets the point across. My questions are why are these families so disorganized with their children? Why are the police and others scared of this situation? Will there ever be a resolution?

Jules' 2 digital stories

Hope Rises

This video was about a woman who is a cancer survivor. She first lost her husband, then was diagnosed with a disease, while recovering from that disease she was told that she had breast cancer. After a while of taking medicine to help her with her pain, she decided that it was more trouble than it was worth and made the decision to stop taking them and return them to her doctor. She decided to start really enjoying her life by trying new things that she had never experienced before. I believe that Helen Gallegos, the author, decided to make this video to express her innermost feelings and show people the strength that it took to survive cancer. If this video were used to ask a question, I believe that that question would be how would you deal with extreme setbacks such as what Helen had experienced? This video was filled with emotion, throughout most of the video the emotion was sadness, but at the end the tone of the video changed to uplifting and inspirational. The pace of the video was pretty slow, nut it fit the content of the video. I thought that her voice over in the video was very passive sounding, she could have made it sound more interesting, her voice was the only part of the video that I thought was boring. The elements that are present in this video are, she has a point of view, it was filled with emotional content, it had the gift of her voice in the voice over, there was much power in the music. I thought that she had an effective use of words, I thought that her voice was on point with the pace of the song.

screen-capture-1.png
http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=6

Strength in Love

This story was about a young man who overcame many obstacles to finally find a place where he belongs. He tells of how he joined a gang in hopes of finding people that he could relate to and would defend him if ever necessary. He later figured out that joining a gang was not the answer to his loneliness, he realizes this after he is stabbed by a drug addict who owed his gang money; his near death experience gave him the strength to see that he was heading down a very dangerous path, and if he was going to make something of himself he would need to separate himself from gang affiliates and others who cold be a negative influence on his life; so to do this he became close to his basketball coach and found a place in the world for himself. I think that he made this video to show that no matter what sort of adversity you are facing you can overcome all obstacles if you try hard enough. The emotion that is present in this video is sadness and in the end happiness because he found a place to call his home. I would say that the story is a decent length, long enough to get his message across. The pace of the video was pretty slow, but it fit the tone of the story. Overall I believe that this digital story was a good one, because it was able to make me feel joyous by the end.

http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=7screen-capture-2.png

An Unforeseen Ending

Depicting a "good" story

"Just being There"

"Just being there" was narrated by a man who seemed to be a child psychologist. The narrator begins to describe how heinous crimes and traumatic events such as death impact the lives of the children nearest to the situation. The story begins with a boy named Rashid who witnessed the death of his pregnant mother, at the hands of his father. The narrator describes how in the past he would attempt to answer questions such as Rashid's, who asks "why did my Dad kill my Mom?" Suddenly, the narrator realizes that he cannot answer questions such as this because he doesn't have the answer. The narrator mentions another little girl who asks "why did my sister have to die?" I circumstances such as these the narrator found that simply listening and being the person that can simply be the presence that leads them to the healing that they need.
This digital story is one that I would classify as a "good" story because although the narrator is not necessarily telling stories that are his he gives a perspective of a person who helps with the healing process. The story begins with a simple title and a black screen, which allows the audience to consume the title. The rest of the movie has still pictures and the drawings that the children made. In my opinion, the ability of the author to include the images that the children drew added a raw and realistic element to the piece. Also, the piece ends revealing that it is a dedication to Rashid, showing how his life was impacted by the story of this little boy. I would classify a good story as having the ability to create a connection between its author and the audience, which this one does.

Pamela Kelly -- A Different Healing from Daniel Weinshenker on Vimeo.

"A different healing"

Raped and brutally beaten. After being traumatized by her own husband a woman is very forgiving of him, but the narrator is not. The narrator feels the anger and pain that she believes that the victim should feel she says, "I couldn't hear and anger in her voice and that's what made me cry". The fact that the woman seemed unfazed was disturbing for the narrator and even made her angry. At the end of the story the narrator reveals that she still cannot forgive for what has been done, while the victim seems to celebrate that life that she has ahead of her. I feel the biggest moral lesson from this digital story is that a persons ability to forgive is the first key to freedom. If the woman had bound her soul with anger for her husband, she would not be able to grasp the optimism that would allow her to live a happy and fulfilling life.
This digital story begins in a very dramatic manner, the sounds from the music and the narrators voice set the mood for a melancholy story. In the beginning the author uses still images, which seem very suitable and display the world as she sees it as very un-lively and struck by sadness. When the mood changes because of the optimism of the victim still images transition to video and the camera shows shots of the ground and then begin to move upward and show images of the sky, which seems to be a metaphor for optimism. As the images change the music does as well, changing from sad and dreary to more light hearted and hopeful. I feel that the story successfully fit's the mode of "good" story telling, because the author uses art forms such as photography, video, and music to portray a message.

Breaking Free

Breaking Free

Breaking Free

Breaking Free

Van's video analyses of 2 stories

"Dear Jody" by Sasha Charles is a very emotional and touching story. Having the story being told in writing a letter perspective makes it feel like it's written for the audience even though it is really written for Jody. The volume/the voice fit perfectly well with the music. The narrator speaks in a normal conversational tone like she is talking to the audience. The transition between each slides (fade) and videos help makes it feel like a smooth and easy going story. It is very easy to understand the speaker because of perfect pacing. Sasha's story is told in May 11th 1994, and written for her brother Jody. Sasha struggles to do well in school because of being sent in foster care, and being raised by an abusive mother. Being separated from Jody is like a mother separated from her baby. Jody does well in school while Sasha's world come crashing down due to her separation of Jody. Sasha fights a lot and gets suspended in school to deal with the pain. Eventually Sasha found someone who was able to motivate her to raise her grade up and go to college. It took someone outside from the family who cared about Sasha to succeed and do well in school. Sasha wants Jody to know that having a role model, or someone who cares deeply for you can help you go through hard times, endure the pain, and accomplish goals that would never had been dreamt to come true, and that having someone who cares can make a impact towards your life.

Video of "Dear Jody"
Dear Jody.jpg

My Digital Story Analysis

I found the digital video of "Mario's story", to be very good because he conveys his point of view on the importance of education through his experience of his father being deported when he was a teenager.

I found the digital video "Calvin" by Amanda Morris, to be relatable because I to see my dad as one of the most influential people in my life. This video stuck out to me because I feel we do not show our appreciation to those who have helped make us the individuals we are today, and it inspires me to want to follow in her footsteps and share my story of how my dad is influential to me.

"Useless Things" by Dmitri Logvinenko
Dmitri Logvinenko presents a very relevant issue that some of us may deal with on a personal level. He does a good job of selecting a topic that we can all relate to in one way or another. Logvinenko's incorporation of items such as his old house keys and dog photos show a lot about what kind of person he is and what he values. Dmitri Logvinenko's focus on his dog demonstrates its importance to him even in death. This approach does well to evoke the emotions or memories of the viewers themselves, which puts Logvinenko in a favorable position in regards to credibility.
His inclusion of trinkets, collectibles, photos, and other various items shows the vast array of objects that hold meaning to him; this is a good strategy as opposed to focusing on one such item, which would possibly bore the viewer. This strategy is also effective in showing that there are many memories associated with a person's possessions, which viewers can relate to and understand.
Dmitri Logvinenko's use of sound and voice is not faultless Logvinenko's voice also distracts the viewer. It is helpful that he is speaking English, but his accent makes it difficult for the viewer to comprehend his words. As a result, his credibility may be damaged by this imperfection. He makes a bold decision not to include music in his video. This happened to yield successful results due to his accent as well as highlighting the importance of his words.
The other qualities of this video aids Logvinenko in reaching his goal of ensnaring the viewer's attention. The visual quality of this video is adequate to high; the video is easily viewable. Had Logvinenko used more words, the verbal aspect of this video would likely bore the viewer; he used what appears to be the appropriate number of words. However, the pacing of his words sounds a bit rushed at times. Logvinenko should have compensated for his accent by more slowly and carefully articulating his words in an effort to be understood by the viewer.

Watch "Useless Things".

Useless Things.jpg

"Making Do" by Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart's "Making Do" is an autobiography of sorts, involving the use of images and photos as well as voiceover. His video is successful in showing the viewer what kind of person he is and what kind of life he lives. Stewart includes a variety of features that make this particular video especially effective in telling the story that he needs and attempts to tell.
Rick Stewart's voice is powerful enough to be understood yet still conveys a feeling of friendliness. He enunciates his words clearly with the rises and falls in tone that occur naturally in conversation. Stewart's innovative use of poetic language gives the viewer a fresh experience in video-watching. His effective word choice also His video is more of a poem with visual aids; the two appear to have been combined into a video that speaks to the viewer.
Stewart compensates for his lack of music in the background by instead using sounds. His effectual use of sound to emphasize and demonstrate his story brings it to life for the viewer; his words become more potent. The sounds are timed in a way that does not distract the viewer. In addition to good sound timing, Stewart effectively paces his story in a way that definitely matches his decision to use poetry as a medium of verbal communication.
This short but deep video suggests a passion for Rick Stewart to show how he lives through audio and video. Stewart appears to be content with his life, since the video does not show any hatred or annoyance with any aspect of his life. His dedication of this video to his 13 year old daughter solidifies his outward comfort with his life; even though he is divorced, Rick Stewart still loves his daughter very much. This love is further ingrained by closing the video with images and text dedicating his gift to his daughter.

Watch "Making Do".

Making Do.jpg

Tinker Mitski made a digital story and published it on YouTube. The story talks about her love for taking photos. Photography is her life, and is how she is able to remember the great memories that she has had. When I watched this digital story I at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it, and I ended up watching it 3 times in a row. It starts off when music that would find in a scary movie. In a calm and laid back short movie like this I wouldn't think to have put it in there. The only instrument that is being played is the piano and it sounds really creepy! It keeps you on your toes and makes you focus on what you're watching to see what happens.

Dusti's analysis of 2 digital stories

I thought this video was very direct and was very depressing throughout most of it. This video was a voice over of a girl with Bipolar disorder, and in the beginning she says how when she was 16 it all started. She didn't get the diagnoses until 4 years later, after she had already suffered from self inflicted wounds, therapy, 4 different psychiatric hospitals, losing 35 pounds and many different medications. Hearing all of this was very overwhelming, I think she could have talked a little slower, so I could follow along easier.

Untitled from storycentre on Vimeo.

Video Number 2:     This video was very different, I wasnt sure of the purpose at first.  I didn't really like the beginning because I had to read it myself and it was a major point in the story and I had to read it a few time to comprehend it.  I would have liked better if he wouldve been talking right away.  

Sometimes it's hard to let go-Sureya's Story

regentpark.jpg

Sureya's story "Regent Park" is very moving and heartfelt. At the very beginning when she said that her home is going to be demolished it immediately grabbed my attention. I guess that is the importance of using the emotional element of storytelling. Right away my heart went out to her because it is very unfortunate for someone to lose their home. Although sometimes her accent kind of overtook her words, I liked that she did her own voice-over because it added a special element to her piece. Her voice made it authentic. When her volume levels differed at times, it was always in sync with her emotions and that only reinforced the truth in her story. The way that she transitions when she is talking about being alone in her dark building is very effective. She has a good way of matching her voice-over to what we are seeing, which helps move the story along. As she describes how she was the only person home when there was a sound in the hall and a knock at the door, then it was dark and she couldn't see anyone, the intensity in her voice builds. In addition, the pictures she uses are slanted and zoom in quickly and uneasily which enhances the feeling of uncertainty. The dramatic question element worked well as she built up to the resolution of her problem. Sometimes, though it may be hard to do, it is necessary to move on and in Sureya's case move up.

Watch the vide here:

http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=8

Analysis of 2 digital stories

picture 1.bmp

Asian Mothers story              

I really liked the digital story of the Asian mother and her family. I really thought it was interesting that the more respect you gave someone the more respect you got back from that person. It is just like a cause and effect and I think that is very interesting to me. This is a really good concept in life and everyone should go by this. One scene I liked was her nephew she calls grubby. It reminds me of my nephew that I call bear.  It gave me a lot of information about her family and it was fun to hear about it. It was really funny to hear about her kids and what they acted like. The tone was set really good with the type of music she was playing. Her pictures went really good with what she was saying. Whenever she was talking about someone in her family the picture of that person would pop up at the same time. One thing she could improve on would be the volume of her voice it was really hard to hear, but other than that it was a really nice digital story. 

yes.bmp

Where the Wild Things Aren't by Daisy Chia

I really like the story of the Asian family that moved from the city to their grandpa's farm land, because I can relate to this. I know what it's like to move from one type of culture to another. I was a total small city boy and one summer I moved to my friend's farm in Wannamingo. It was a culture shock. I was really annoyed having to work all the time and having to be always busy. I hardly had any free time and I can see were these kids are coming from even though its seems like they really enjoyed it. I really like the scene where they are rolling out big bales of hay, because I had to do that every morning for the horses so they could eat. Another scene I liked was the part with the sheep. She says they are friendly, but nosy, this is so true. The sheep would always come up to me and not leave me alone it would get really annoying, but you would eventually get used to it. One thing that I would improve on in this video would be the volume of the music I could not really here it. I didn't know what type of mood she was trying to set, but other than that it was a really well done video.

Josh's Two Video Reviews

Where the Wild Things Aren't.  This story wasn't too bad at all, but I guess it is more exciting if you are a parent because it is all about a mother and her children.  I think it is a good story for a mother to make for her children or whoever she wants, it was a good idea.  They made it look like they had lots of fun on their trip.  I like the pace it had a lot, it wasn't too slow and it wasn't too fast either so it was a good pace to watch.  This video also has music that worked well with it because it didn't make it sound too exciting or depressing so it just kept the video at a casual beat.  The pictures were really good of the ones that were of the farm, but some of the ones that were trying to explain things seemed to be a little annoying and they didn't work good with it.  The voice wasn't too bad either, it could have been a little clearer, but I could understand all of it.  So altogether this video was a pretty good project and I think it went well.  I would probably only change small minor things to it but not much. Like I said I would take out some of the annoying pictures that didn't really need to be there and I would probably leave a lot of it alone.  It was a good story to it about a kid's weekend at the farm.  It made it look like they really enjoyed themselves at the farm.  Although I don't know where they live because they have a little Joey or kangaroo at their farm.  Other than that I thought it was a good video.

Reliving those childhood days.  I guess it wasn't a bad video but it didn't really get me to excited to watch it.  It didn't really have a story behind it and it just talked all about her family.  Like I get it probably means a lot to her because all it talks about is her close family and how it was growing, but i just don't find that very exciting.  I think it would have been better with an actual story.  Also it was pretty fast moving too, all the pictures seemed to change as soon as you would see them.  The background music was okay I guess, but a little depressing.  So overall I guess it was an alright video.  I did like how she introduced her whole family and talked about them all and explained their role in the family.  She also put a lot of good pictures into too so you could see everything she was talking about.  Like at the end you could see how the whole family turned out and how everyone ended up so that was cools also.  I guess I don't really know much about video story telling so I don't really know how to judge it yet.  I don't think I would make one like that because it doesn't really get me excited or move me at all.  I guess that is why everyone likes different things and there are so many different videos.  If I was to have this as my video the only things that I would change is the voice isn't very clear to me.  The music would need to be more exciting if there would be any at all, and I would slow down the picture transitions. Other than that it was good.

Healing - Lauren

I listened to Healing by Annamieka Hopps. I listened to this story very intently not only because it was about cancer, but because it was about healing your body. This story was as true as true can get! I don't think there was one time in this story where I thought that the speaker was trying to "spice up" the story.

A Different way of getting ready for school

"Watch Marie Faye get ready for school in the morning."

In 41 incredible seconds, Marie Faye showed shared a piece of her life the world. Although the video did not have an obvious point of view, a viewer is able to interpret its intent and meaning. For me, Fayes story made me realize and appreciate how something as simple as getting up and going to school can be cultural, beautiful, and different to every person.
pic 1.bmp

Two Digital Stories to Be Heard-Amanda Miller

I think of you.bmp"I Think of You" by Ann Guido was an interesting digital story that was about a mother who talked about the son she once had before he enrolled in the army. The creator felt that this story would make you feel her pain of how her son enrolled in the marines many years ago. This digital story wasn't in my opinion a strong, influential story. Even in the beginning the music contradicted the feeling of the piece with upbeat jazz music while the story was sad. The mother continues to talk about how sad she is that her son is gone yet the music is happy and upbeat.  I do like the fact that the pictures seemed to be dark just like the voiceover. The voiceover was evidently by his mother and was heartbreaking and hopeful in the fact that her son might come home. The pictures were all black and white which fits the mood of being gloomy. There were many pictures of the son from many ages that brought a personal and warming touch to the story. I say warming because it's makes you see how hard it was for the mother to give up her boy, who once played with her on the swing, to the marines. This story makes me think about my future and if I had a baby boy who would enroll himself in the marines. It makes you realize how devastating it is to see the person you love fight in battle and have a greater chance of mortality.

Beauty.bmp

The digital story "Beauty" by Richard Cowling was a morbid story about how Richard coped with the death of his mother.  This story was very sad but equally inspirational. He chose to tell this story because he struggled with describing the nature of nursing and what it meant to him.  The voiceover seemed to be mono tone with not much emotion but at the same time sounded a little sad. The voiceover was boring for me for the reason it had not much enthusiasm. This story wants to show that Richard's personal experience of coping with his mother's death made him better at his job as a nurse. In the nursing profession you need to be caring, sympathetic and be able to relate to the patients which Richard was taught from his mother.  The soundtrack was an instrumental piano which fit the emotion of grief from losing someone you love. The photographs were personal of him and his mother. The other pictures were gloomy of showing dark rooms and black and white photos.  I think the beginning was the strongest part of the video since it began with this sad music, an interesting picture of newspapers and a mystery as to what the story behind the newspaper was all about.  The reason for the newspaper is because the son wanted to show how he regretted reading the paper while his mother was talking to him. From this movie I have a greater appreciation for spending every moment I can with my own mother before she's gone.

Strength in Love - Lauren

When I was listening to Strength with Love it seemed very truthful and almost as if I was there when it happened. I liked the way the film started off; it grabbed my attention right away. During the presentation I wondered how this boy was going to get help or if it was a story about a failure or success. As the film went on, it seemed to pull me in and I had to watch it. Strength with Love made me feel sad because I felt bad that this boy had no family he had to live on his own. It was frustrating for me to watch also because I think that the parents didn't even try to have a relationship with their son.

That kid digital story

Finding identity in life journey-Gina Allen's Story

NewOrleansB&W.jpg Watch the video here: http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=7 I really like this video. I felt I could relate to the emotions and the identity seeking expressed in "New Orleans" by Gina Allen. In her story about identity, Gina Allen discusses the way that a person's journey not only affects their perception of the world, but the way they perceive themselves. I know from experience that it can be hard sometimes to go a new place and be the only person like yourself. To feel out of place, like a stranger is a very uncomfortable feeling. What I like about what Gina did is that she used an effective combination of music and emotional content to set the tone and mood of her story. Along with the voice over, those three aspects work together effectively to show the way that she internalized the reactions of her white neighbors when they chose to move away as she moved in. I like what she does in setting up the scene for the real core of her story. She talks about her families past and how their life stories influenced her expectations in life. Then she smoothly transitions into the way her life actually went using the slow background sound of a saxophone and a slow fade to the next picture to illustrate the way her life in suburbs was much more boring than she had anticipated. My favorite aspect of the story came at the end though when Gina tied the effects of her story to the life of her son. Watch the video here: http://www.storycenter.org/stories/index.php?cat=7

digital story number 1 by Neil McQuiston (sofa's)

Made by Wayne Richard, the digital story about sofas is very interesting. He talks about how a sofa can be used to talk about life. In his life you used sofas to talk about him growing up homeless. He mentioned how when he sits on a sofa it tells you about life. If it is not a uncomfortable sofa then maybe that was not home and it's time that he should move on in life. I think the overall digital story he made was good. Wayne used a slow tempo song

Analysis (Brian Valley)

Meet Oliver and then... Olivier's Story.

Picture 1.png

What there is least of in the video "Olivers's Story" are pictures. What I remember most about the video were the pictures. The video combined Joe Lamberts "Seven Elements of Story Telling" in a simple matter. I had indeed had a Point of view- a mother that is struggling to find some way to connect her "positive family" to the world in which they lived in. It had a dramatic Question- To Tell the world about their family secret? Or to not tell the world about their family secret?

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 2. Analysis of 2 Digital Stories category.

1. Intro / "Top 10" / Self Portrait is the previous category.

3. Digital Story (video) is the next category.