So...

CIMG2029.JPG

This is a picture of me, doing what I love to do, whenever the chilly Minnesota air permits. Camping! Anytime I can squeeze in a camping trip around my very busy schedule, I do. I love everything about the outdoors; the smells, the quiet, roasting marshmallows and hotdogs around a roaring campfire, and being able to clear my mind of all the busyness that I have left behind at home. There is nothing more awe-inspiring than lying on my back in the middle of nowhere, looking at the millions of bright stars that I would never be able to see if I were in Minneapolis. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Anyways, my name is Christina and I will be graduating from the U after this semester. I am an English major and a GWSS minor. I love school (I know, I’m a nerd) and hope to teach high school English when I graduate. Eventually though, I would like to become a professor. I work 2 jobs and go to school full-time, so I am a very busy bee! I obviously love camping, but I also love to read, write, rock climb, scuba dive, take pictures, and play with my cats! I am very interested in politics and love to listen to Minnesota Public Radio. I am very liberal and am hoping that Barack Obama becomes the next president. I’m very chatty once I get going, which is why this entry is getting to be so long.

Hello Friends!

Happy New Year 2008! 008s.jpg

I...
-am a junior majoring in print journalism, minoring in social justice and gwss
-live on-campus (Dinkytown)
-am in love with my new digital camera that I just got for Christmas. See a picture of it here.
-am 21, but still love most of the Disney Princess'...even though I know all the reasons why I shouldn't. My fav? Jasmine!
-love: reading fun, going to bed really late and sleeping in.
-strongly dislike: shaking people's hands when I am introduced to them.
-use the word facetious too much!
-love anything that comes in the color pink or black
-cut my hair to the shortest it's ever been over winter break
-could and probably will spend the rest of my life dedicated to learning all about social justice, and making the world more socially just
-love to be put in uncomfortable situations, that are safe...it's where I grow the most!
-used to be more optimistic, but ever since I turned 21 and realized that I haven't done shit with my life yet, I am more cynical
-am ethically conflicted with my major right now...

Continue reading "Hello Friends!" »

ME

I have been told that when drunk, I am like Audrey Hepburn’s Holly Golightly when drunk in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I suppose I’ve seen video. I can see where they are coming from.

I have been told that I am overly analytical. I would agree. It is a pain in the ass.

I have been told that I am stubborn and thick-headed. I AM NOT!

I have been told that I have a nice smile.

I have been called a Goober. I love those!

pixels.jpg

I have been given a myriad of descriptors for myself. I suppose they are all pieces that come together to construct me. As far as my interpretation of myself…I guess I don’t have a clear idea of what that is…yet.

Introducing Myself - Peter

Hi everybody! I recently came across an abstract self-portrait I did in a journal about six years ago. I had trouble scanning it, though, so I'll have to upload it in class this afternoon. For now, I'll just write a little bit about myself.

Continue reading "Introducing Myself - Peter" »

hi everyone

IMG_2783_2.JPG

This is Me an Artist. I love making new sculpture and drawing. Moreover, as you can tell that I love capturing images as well. Apart from that i just love snow and nature. By looking at my picture you are probably guessing what have i done with this baseball bat? well the answer is simple. I am from a different origin and I am here; consequently, I love blending my culture with an American culture to create something interesting and unique.
Sports, tennis and badminton.
Food: Mexican, Chinese, Italian and Indian cuisine
Hobbies: Ice skating, trekking, shopping, music, reading books, and many more..
I guess that is about it.

Intro

broken_by_caveart101.jpg
craypas on black matboard

“If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.? Audre Lorde

I have found that it is always difficult to introduce myself because of my tendency to over share due to analysis overload. And in the end, whatever comes out of my mouth is a product of what everyone else tells me I am. Dalu, the artist. Dalu, the nerd. Dalu, the loudmouth. Dalu, the creepy silent girl in that corner of the room. Oh, you might want to watch out for that.

I was named after a famous actress back in the motherland (Sudan, I'm Sudanese) that my aunt happened to be obsessed with. Said actress was hit by a bus during filming. My friends don't know what to make of me most of the time. I'm a bit weird or too intense, or something. I like to point out oppression too often and that bursts their comfort bubble. Or again, you know...something. Also I can never seem to shut the sarcasm off. I also think life is too funny, in a crappy kind of way. I accidentally laughed during titanic, but not because it's funny. I like to eat things only in even numbers. I do contradict myself and can be a bit incoherent, but that's just my brain trying to make sense. I used to paint obsessively. Eight to 12 hours in one sitting, I would forget to eat, sleep, barely moving. I guess you can say I like to paint. Thankfully at the moment I am too poor to feed my addiction.

I want to be famous, and I know I will be. That kind of scares me. So I try to stifle my eventual success by procrastinating and doing anything but art at the moment.

Just kidding. But no really. I am going to make it big.

DSCN0223.JPG

It may seem odd that my self-portrait does not include my image but it does include everything I love, snow, mountains, peace and quite and this is one of the best mountains I have ever snowboarded on. Pure and simple.

I am wearing my grandmother's jewelry

jenny.jpg

... because I see my grandmother as a strong, crazy, smart, opinionated woman who hasn't always made the right choices but has been smoking a pack a day for 65 years (and remains without repercussions), so she must be doing something right.

I see the other women in my family as the foundation of who I am and who I will become, and so I wear their jewelry as a decoration of my personhood.

me myself and I

I am very small but people tell me I'm intimidating. I didn't grow up here and I'll never be a Minnesotan. I'm too loud and too blunt and I like debating too much. I'm a big nerd. I've been doing activist work for more than half my life. I have two beautiful children and great stories to tell. I got married in red. I have great ideas and a million projects going at once and sometimes I don't finish what I start. I'm planning on going to law school and representing crazy kids like I was. I want to create a new world in the ashes of the old.

This picture is the first thing that comes up when you Google Image Search my name. It's gone now, but it'll always be my home.

hwy55-54.jpg

Self Portrait - hollx025

n508471674_906266_9669.jpg

I used to be notorious for my run-ins with the police.

Now I work for them.

.................i would give anything to be crazy again.

Continue reading "Self Portrait - hollx025" »

Not Quite Chuck Close

DSC00099.JPG

Me, Oil on Canvas, 26x30, Spring 2006

"See you at retakes"

I am awesome.jpg

I took out my retainer before class pictures. I looked like a nerd.

Intro: Lara

Photo 2.jpg

I am that girl that seems shy until she finds her feet...
When that happens, you may have some difficulty shutting me up.
I tend to observe before I speak.

Self-Portrait

Courtney - Top Five Lists to Get to Know Me

Top Five Things I Like About Myself:
1. My off-center sense of humour
2. Petite Stature
3. Curly Hair
4. My ability to interact with adults
5. My growing level of self-discipline

Five things I Dislike About Myself:
1. My off-center sense of humour
2. Discomfort meeting new people
3. Inability to wake up in the morning
4. Hatred of physical activity and sports
5. Short legs make it hard to find pants

Continue reading "Self-Portrait" »

introduction: brittany

babygirl.JPG

I'll Set It Off...

rae_1979.jpg

I am a:
mother / wife / sister / friend / image maker /
teacher / videographer / photographer /
mentor / artist / activist / organizer /
NY Puerto Rican [of JD] / daughter / survivor

Continue reading "I'll Set It Off..." »

Assignment #1: Introduction / Self-Portrait

Think about the examples of the artist self-portraits that we viewed in class like this:

selfportrait-2.gif

Post an introduction to yourself, but remember this is a public blog, so don’t reveal details of your “real? identity if you don’t want to (create an alias for your account - click on your x500 on the top right of the blog entry screen).

Feel free to post a drawing, sound recording, collage, photo, artwork or anything that let’s us know about who you are, what you are watching, reading, listening to, thinking about. If you have a personal blog, or you've set up your individual course blog and want to share, link us!

Continue reading "Assignment #1: Introduction / Self-Portrait" »