« My Journey | Main | Reflections... »

Ciao!

When I decided to take this class, I really didn’t know what to expect. All I know is that this class has exceeded any expectations that I could have had. I have learned so much from this class. Not only have I learned how to create media, and how to interpret feminist theory, but I have also learned some new things about myself. I have learned how to use feminist media making to deal with my own personal struggles.

When I first started taking women’s studies classes four years ago, a lot of what I read about was way over my head. This class has really brought a lot of that together for me. I have always understood the main concepts, but actually creating something and applying those concepts in a deeply personal way has really lit the light bulb for me. The readings in this class (particularly Michelle Citron) were phenomenal. Great choices Rachel! I have also learned an invaluable lesson in how to access and use media in new and exciting ways. I love making movies, and using them to tell stories. I am a writer and love written words, so finding a new way to express myself has really been a lot of fun. I have also learned that creating media is really hard work! I have a much larger appreciation for the time and effort that goes into creating just a few minutes of media.
Through my classmates I have learned that taking risks and putting yourself out there is really the only way to create something with true meaning. I never talk to anyone (not even my best friend) about my dad’s death or how my mother tells me I should get married. But within our class, a community of trust and openness was there that gave me the courage to put myself out there. Knowing that others in our class were willing to put themselves out there as well was also a good motivation. And, hey, we all created some pretty amazing pieces of feminist media art!
I know that what I have learned in this class and from my classmates will easily transition into what I want to do in life. I plan on taking a year off and then applying to the Library and Information Sciences masters program at St. Kate. As a librarian I would love to share and use my knowledge of media making. I used to think that my only artistic talent was writing, and have happily discovered that I am wrong. I can create art through film, pictures, and media as well. I have truly enjoyed and will greatly miss this class; it was by far my favorite GWSS class that I ever took and I hope that many more students in the future will be given the opportunity to take it as well.
Ciao Everyone! Have a great life and always dream big!
Peace,
-Christina