« Thru 2/18 Eva Hesse at the Walker | Main | Thurs, 2/8 Free Film Screening »

TUCKER CENTER

The Tucker Center is an interdisciplinary research center for women and girls in sports and is located right here at the University of Minnesota. To founder Dr. Dorothy Tucker, it was noticeable that most sports-related research was focused on men, and so in 1993, the Tucker Center was established and still continues to conduct research on the way women and girls are affected by sports and physical activity. The Tucker Center has three main goals: to conduct and to promote basic and applied research, to support and improve the education, training, and mentorship of graduate students, and to engage in public service by announcing research findings and educational materials to the community. The current research projects being conducted include:

*Media Representation
*Youth sport, physical activity, and recreation and their special impact on girls
*Sport consumer psychology
*Title IX and gender equality
*Factors influencing bone health in women
*MN youth sport research consortium

The Tucker Center will be holding a Edie Mueller Distinguished Lecture, Sex vs. Athletic Competence: Competing Narratives in Marketing and Promoting Women’s Sports, on Tuesday April 17th from 7-9PM at Cowles Auditorium in the Hubert H. Humphrey Center on West Bank, but unfortunately our class has a prior commitment!

I’m currently blogging for a (poor) living for someone else… but I like it. You’ve inspired me to keep doing it, and look to doing it for myself soon