« dean spade talk | Main | March 21st - Native Women's Leadership »

Dancing with the Stars; Season 2

The reality TV show that I decided to watch again was an episode of Dancing with the Stars, season two. This particular episode aired last year on ABC on a Tuesday and a Wednesday evening at a seven o’clock timeslot. This time would be known as “primetime? on most channels. Dancing with the Stars is going to starting its fourth season on March 19th and when I started to see commercials about the show this distinct episode, well actually season, replayed in my head.
Walt Disney Productions is the production company for this show along with BBC worldwide. Dancing with the Stars actually originated overseas and then was popularized in America. The executive producers for the show are Conrad Green and Richard Hopkins. And the Co executive producer is Izzie Pick. This show is filmed in front of a live audience in Los Angeles California.
During this show there is a very eclectic group of commercials. Ranging from make up to cars and, which didn’t surprise me, Botox commercials. I thought that the variety in the commercials made the show look as though it was directed to a more diverse group of people. In the show they have celebrities dancing with world famous stars. Celebrities including actors, TV hosts and sports figures.

During the second season of Dancing with the Stars there was a very controversial member of the group. The rap mogul Master P was asked to join the group. Master P had difficulty from the start, what with wearing baggy pants and shirts and tennis shoes. The three judges, all of which are white, and his dance partner, also white, had a huge problem with his lack of respect for the rules of dancing. Men and women wear tighter clothing, the women wearing almost nothing at all. Master P was given a lot of grief. He expressed his views with not even wanting to be on the television show, that he was just doing this for his son, so he didn’t care what he wore. It became an even tenser episode when his dance partner didn’t defend him, and on national TV told him off about how he was an embarrassment to her. In the end, Master P was eliminated that week from the competition.
I felt that the episode showed a lot of how people of different colors view each other. In my opinion, I think that if Master P would have been in front of a panel of African American judges, he wouldn’t have been told that the way he was dressed was wrong. In fact, in that particular season, there wasn’t a professional dancer who was African American. For any celebrity on this show who isn’t white, I see that as a problem.
In the reading found on WebCT titled “Humiliation, Subjectivity and Reality TV? I found an interesting quote from Avishai Margalit. He stated that “…an ideal of universal human rights independent of individual achievement or status, a society where the dignity of individuals relies only on the fact that they’re human beings.? Reading this made me think of Master P because I feel as though this show was humiliating him. He most likely went on this show for the money, which is what I would do as well, but he went on as himself. And throughout the shows that he was on prior to his elimination, the judges were trying to change the person he was. I’m assuming that when this big, tall, African American man stepped out onstage the judges took one look at him and made their own assumption about the kind of person he is.
In Feminist Frontiers, R. W. Connell writes in the section “Masculinities and Globalization? that “We are so accustomed to thinking of gender as the attribute of an individual, even as an unusually intimate attribute, that it requires a considerable wrench to think of gender on the vast scale of global society.? This quote reminded me of the clothing that the women wear on this show. Most dances are more intimate and a fun and flirty dress is most often important to the dance, however, most of these women come out and dance in clothing that looks as though they should be on the beach! In my opinion it is almost as bad as a rap music video. She has barely any clothing on, and the risk of her having a “wardrobe malfunction? is high.
Regardless that this show may show some racism with Master P and sexism with the women wearing barely there costumes, this is still a highly popular show. In fact, it was the number two show this past fall on the ABC network. And, despite flaws that this show may have, I am still a huge fan of it. Its easy for me to watch this show and say to myself, “not everyone is like that? and dressing and dancing like that isn’t expected of me. Which makes is easy for me to sit down and spent two hours watching celebrities dance.

This is a really interesting article and very astute. We'd love to republish it for our members is that ok?