« Barbie- Still the Same | Main | My Twinn... or yours? »

Dolls from Toys "R" Us

For my doll report I decided to check out the Toys “R� Us Website. They had many different categories of dolls to choose from. I decided to focus more on the Barbie and Ken dolls. I looked at the collector’s dolls first and found that there were dolls of many different ethnicities and cultures. Most of these were Barbies. Some of these were Cinco de Mayo Barbies, Wizard of Oz Barbies, Tooth Fairy Barbies, Kwanzaa Barbies, and Hard Rock Cafe Barbies just to name a few.

I noticed that there was definitely more than one race represented, but if it was a non-white Barbie it was always specified. This was much more noticeable when I went to the princess doll section on the site. The dolls here were obviously mostly female again, with the exception of a few Ken prince dolls. A large majority of these dolls were white, and the only other ethnicity that was represented was the African American Barbies. All of these Barbies were specified as African American Barbies, while the white Barbies were specified by something else, usually what they were wearing. It seems like if you want an African America doll, you won’t really have much choice as to what it looks like, but there were many more choices of white dolls.

If I wanted to buy a Barbie, it would be extremely easy to find a Barbie that is from my ethnic group. People from other ethnic groups might find it hard to find a Barbie that is more like them, and if they do they may only have one or two choices, instead of many many different white Barbies. People will see this, especially young girls, and be persuaded to think that the white Barbie with the blond hair is the Barbie that most people look like since there are so many more white Barbies than non-white Barbies. Children should be shown that there can be many different ways that a person or a doll should look, and while this is improving with dolls nowadays compared to when I was a kid, the white blonde Barbie still provides an unrealistic model for young girls to look at. It definitely contributes to the normalization of the female gender in children.