« I "Love" NY | Main | Monday Night Raw »

Film Response

The response is to the films about “Bitch Niggas? and the differences between Sistas & ‘hos.

I thought it was interesting during the first portion of the film about Bitch Niggas that a Bitch Nigga or Pussy Nigga was someone who didn’t have a lot of hos and who wasn’t a gangsta committing crimes and fighting. I thought it was ridiculous how the things that disallowed a man to question another’s manhood were that the other man was being a criminal, immoral, and a thug. It is as if the rap industry requires that everyone involved with it needs to just be a bad person. I think it’s even more ridiculous that this is the kind of material that sells in society. This image of being a gangster or a thug is required in order to have your records sell. That says a lot about the rest of the society we live in, and it’s saying a lot that is not very positive. Finally, I think it’s crazy that if these are the things that describe a “bitch nigga? that it is considered to be the biggest slam in the industry to get called that. I just don’t understand the whole culture surrounding the hip-hop industry and how it got to be the way that it is because I know hip-hop didn’t start out this way. In the wake of the east-west coast rivalries I appreciate that the man who created the documentary did it to draw attention to the negative aura surrounding the industry.

I do not understand the difference between sistas and hos either, especially in the context of looking at each at that beach and being able to tell which is which. It was appalling the way that women were treated at Spring Bling. From what it sounded like on film, a sista is someone who could be a great friend and is marriage material, but a ho is someone who is good only for sex. At a beach I imagine that it would be hard to distinguish between these two, so therefore it was as if every woman became a ho for the way that she dressed…at the beach! The women in the video were objectified as being nothing but a piece of meat that could be screwed. It was as if it was expected too. If a woman lashed out at a man for touching her inappropriately she was laughed at and made to feel small for standing up for herself. There was an opinion that because of how the woman was dressed, she was asking for it, and that just simply was not the case. It was funny how the first part of the video talked about the differences between sistas and hos and the second part of the video turned everyone into a ho because of how they were dressed. It was a lose-lose situation for the women there, and the men took advantage of it. I also found it interesting how this was related back to hip-hop and that hip-hop basically calls for this behavior and ties it to being a man and if you don’t behave this way your manhood is questioned. Again, it’s great that the author of the documentary made it. There are way too many negative aspects of hip-hop and the culture around it that need attention.