« Amazon Designed for GWSS Critique | Main | I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World »

"Girls Behaving Badly"

I chose to watch Girls Behaving Badly for my essay partly because I had never seen the show before. I don’t watch much reality TV, so I decided to make sure to pick one I haven’t seen before. The show is much like Candid Camera, being about four women who are constantly portrayed as sexy and beautiful. The women set up pranks for people to get caught on camera. It seems to be a show that is in good fun. The show that I was watching involved a prank with two men, who were told to put on Brooke Burke’s lipstick and use it to kiss her calendars, and when she finds out, she tells them to keep doing it so she doesn’t have to put makeup on. The segment ends with the two guys both being humiliated in front of Burke’s fans, and then they are told that they have just been pranked.

This show airs on Monday nights at 9:00 PM on Ox I chose to watch Girls Behaving Badly for my essay partly because I had never seen the show before. I don’t watch much reality TV, so I decided to make sure to pick one I haven’t seen before. The show is much like Candid Camera, being about four women who are constantly portrayed as sexy and beautiful. The women set up pranks for people to get caught on camera. It seems to be a show that is in good fun. The show that I was watching involved a prank with two men, who were told to put on Brooke Burke’s lipstick and use it to kiss her calendars, and when she finds out, she tells them to keep doing it so she doesn’t have to put makeup on. The segment ends with the two guys both being humiliated in front of Burke’s fans, and then they are told that they have just been pranked.

This show airs on Monday nights at 9:00 PM on Oxygen. Oxygen is a network that is targeted mostly at women audiences, usually people from their teens to their 40s. The show, however, seems like it is targeted just as much at men audiences, if not more. The show is supposed to show that most prank shows and the like are done by men, and women can do this just as well. The difference that you see is that on other prank shows (like Punk’d) the guys on the show are never portrayed just as sexy, handsome, etc. This makes it seem like the only way that women can do a show like this is if they are extremely beautiful women.

It seems like the message it sends is that if there was a show that was the exact same only with more “average? looking women people wouldn’t watch it. In all the pranks, they all focus on something to do with the women being sexy and beautiful. The name Girls Behaving Badly also has sexual undertones. It seems that since more attention is given to the women being sexy than anything else, it is a show that more people will watch just to see beautiful women, which would defeat the idea of the show. Another aspect of the show is normalization. It gives the message that if you are a woman, you can’t make a show like this if you do not fit the mold that the women are in on the show. If a male wants to do a comedy show, it takes a lot of intelligence and wit to be able to do one well, but if the male is not attractive it won’t really hurt him. The expectations for women on television are different. If you are not a very attractive woman, it will be much harder for you than if you are not a very attractive man. In the article by Yep and Camacho, “The Bachelor clearly reinforces current U.S. standards of female beauty and objectification of the woman’s body.? I think, to a smaller extent, that this can also be said about Girls Behaving Badly.

The issue of humiliation came up in this episode as well, but it was the males who were humiliated in this episode. Also, the males were not aware that they were on the show and were not aware that they were being humiliated until late in the prank, when the fans were all questioning them and asking them as to what they were doing kissing Brooke Burke’s calendars. According to Myra Mendible, “our interest in watching others being humiliated is an essential aspect of the success of sub-genre ‘survival’ shows.? While this is not a “survivor? show, the idea can apply to most reality shows. Humiliation is definitely a part of most reality shows, whether male or female, but it happens with females more often. That is why it does not seem as bad when these males are humiliated, but all humiliation can be hurtful.
While I think there are many reality TV shows that are much worse than Girls Behaving Badly, this show still sets a standard for what women are supposed to look like if they want to have their own television show. I think that when women see this show or other shows like it, and want to be on TV, it will persuade them to concentrate more on their appearance than the content on the show. Because there are rarely shows on that involve “average? looking women, it really makes it seem as if you aren’t good looking, even if you have a great show idea, you can’t star in a reality show. A lot of these shows make it seem like if you are good looking enough, people will watch you no matter what. The message should be the same as it is for men: if you are talented enough or funny enough to be on TV, your appearance should not matter.
ygen. Oxygen is a network that is targeted mostly at women audiences, usually people from their teens to their 40s. The show, however, seems like it is targeted just as much at men audiences, if not more. The show is supposed to show that most prank shows and the like are done by men, and women can do this just as well. The difference that you see is that on other prank shows (like Punk’d) the guys on the show are never portrayed just as sexy, handsome, etc. This makes it seem like the only way that women can do a show like this is if they are extremely beautiful women.