« Sexuality is socially constructed and "Hip-Hop Better Wake Up!" | Main | Paradise City »

noah is to middlesexes as patrick is to breakfast on pluto

The scenario of the little boy, Noah, in the Middlesexes documentary reminded me of a movie that I watched recently called Breakfast on Pluto. This film based somewhat on true events follows the life of an individual named Patrick “Kitten� Braden. Abandoned as a baby, he grew up in a foster family and never really had the strong support system that Noah does in his parents and siblings. From little on, Patrick, like Noah, knew he was different and would play in his mother’s dresses and makeup. He was continually scolded by his family, yet he continued to act as he pleased, finding joy in "doing femininity". Patrick never let others’ opinions or beliefs mold who he was, just as Noah isn’t giving in to the pressure to conform to society’s expectations of boys’ behavior. Finally, after getting in trouble at school and being scolded at home, Patrick decides that he has had enough and takes off on his own in search of his real mother. What ensues is an unusual, tragic, and comic chain of events, persistent in the plots to misuse, mistreat, and hurt the transforming Kitten as he comes into his nonnormative gender role.

Patrick never lets anyone trample his spirit, and I can only hope that Noah follows a path that is similar to his in that sense and doesn’t encounter any harm along the way.

Lorber says that

“transvestites and transsexuals do not challenge the social construction of gender. their goal is to be feminine women and masculine men.� (45)

I think that this is the main difference between Patrick and Noah. Patrick strived to be feminine and wanted to pass as a woman and in the end, he succeeded in doing so. However, I don’t think trying to be a girl is Noah’s goal. Right now, he doesn’t bother himself with others’ questions of what he’s doing. He just knows why he’s doing the things that he does, and that is simply because he likes toys and clothes that are associated with little girls. I don’t think he’s trying to be a girl; to me, it doesn’t seem like Noah is doing these things with the idea that he wants to be a girl. He is genderblurring what is normalized for boys and girls and he is not letting what society perceives as right for a little boy dictate his actions.