« Paradise City | Main | "Beauty and the Geek" »

Sisters and Bitches

Thanks be to the great invention of Tivo, I had the opportunity to watch “Independent Lens: Beyond Beats and Rhymes? in its entirety. Because I was able to do watch this within days after the viewing in class, I’m having a difficult time recalling what I actually saw in class versus in my own living room. I will do my best to keep this as specific to the sections we actually watched as I can.

Sisters and Bitches
Just as the girls in the documentary, I am not offended by the lyrics used in rap music because I don’t feel that it is directed specifically at me. Let it be known, however, that just because I’m not offended doesn’t mean that I’m not disgusted by the words. There really is a difference.

I sometimes feel that some women do ask to get treated that way by the way they act and dress. It’s the same thing with men, of all races, now stating that they want “a lady in the street, and a freak in the bed.? There is a time and a place for everything and if a woman doesn’t understand those boundaries, she needs to somehow realize how she is representing herself. This goes for men and how they dress and act as well.

As for the men in the video acting that way about women on the beach, then yeah, that is probably offensive because like someone else said, “What else are you supposed to wear to a beach??

Bell Hooks even acknowledges that in a patriarchal society, aging has allowed women to “adopt anew the old sexist notions of feminine beauty? (34). I don’t mean to say that it is completely women’s fault in the way that men objectify our bodies, but I do think that our own ways have a contributed to the fact.

That goes for the same thing with the “N*****? word. I would never personally use that word, but I have been told time and time again that there is a difference between a “N*****? and an African-American. I only briefly understand the difference, but I still choose to not use the negative term. As for black men referring to each other by more negative, cuss words, I haven’t been exposed to it being done in a negative light. For example, I have a girlfriend who refers to her girl friends as “Hookers.? We all know the context and don’t take offense to it, and so again I think it’s a matter of a time and place for certain language and behavior.

Overall, I think that women are strong enough to not let these things offend us, by once again, not paying attention to it. If you don’t like it, then don’t participate in the activities where it is more common that a dichotomy of sexism may exist. If women aren’t in those situations and subjecting themselves to this criticism then men will have to shift their focus towards something else if they expect to get any attention from the women.

I saw something later in the viewing that I wanted to mention also: Because what is considered politically correct is ever-changing, I don’t feel that people should be attacked for using the incorrect term, but rather politely corrected. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people say something that is technically a racist comment, but then follow it up with saying, “But I’m not racist or anything…? I honestly don’t think they are racist just because they are ignorant to what terms are politically correct.