« target.com Toy Representation | Main | target.com Toy Representation »

target.com Toy Representation

As a part of this assignment I decided to look through the toy section of target.com. I found it very interesting and helpful how the website allows you to sort and look through toys by age. They range from baby, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-12, and 13-15. To make the search easier, considering there were thousands of toys to look through, I focused on girls toys between the ages of 2-3, because I have my cousins little girls birthdays coming up soon. Immediately after clicking on ages 2-3 two columns come up that is supposedly supposed to help with the search, but it is very stereotypical. The column states you can “shop by interest,? and they proceed to give a list of broad topic toys for girls and boys. For girls you should buy dolls, puppets, horses, princess + fantasy kingdom, dress-up + little helpers, and creative activities. For boys you should by dinosaurs, pirates, cars + trucks, trains, knights + castles, and construction + tools. It shows that target, a large corporation, follows the gender roles closely. From childhood I remember going shopping for toys and the girls and boys toys would be split up in isles and the girls isles would be very pink and the boys be very blue. This puts images in childs minds of what they are supposed to like and play with to be considered a social “norm.? Even after scrolling further down, most of the links to click on are split by weather or not it is for a boy or girl. Then I proceeded to look at the prices of toys. I clicked on a link that stated top seller toys for girls, Out of 37 toys listed 11 were over 50 dollars and 25 were over 20 dollars. The website portrays a lot towards middle class families and do not offer many options for toys under ten dollars that would appeal to young girls, I only found 2 items out of 37 on the top seller list for under ten dollars. I found it very disappointing after looking through target.com in how it follows so many stereotypes and conforms to the gender roles. You can see, some what, how children get the ideas of what girls and boys are supposed to be like and play with, and those who do not conform are considered “weird to them.?