« Margaret Cho | Main | Middle Sexes Response »

The Beauty of The Vagina Monologues

I attended the 8th Annual Vagina Monologues on February 15, 2007. MPIRG put this on production based on the play written by Eve Ensler in honor of V-day. V Day was born from the Vagina Monologues to raise consciousness about the realities that women face in violent situations. V-Day is “an energy, a movement, a catalyst, a day to end violence toward women�. The money from the event went to getting stricter security at a woman’s shelter in the Twin Cities area.

The production was put on in the theater of the St. Paul Student Center. In my opinion this was the perfect location because the theater was small enough to feel personal, yet still have the stage effect to feel like you were in the audience. The actresses were women from around campus who were passionate and dedicated to the cause; dedicated to teaching people about the personal stories of many women around the world. The women all dressed in black and red. Though they were in a color uniform, each woman dressed differently. Some wore pants, some skirts, some dresses. The women who were in the production were of different ethnicities and ages.

I really enjoyed the play because it was an experience that men, women and children could learn from. People had the opportunity to learn about personal stories and also about the general concepts about women’s lives through history. Many of the stories represented numerous women. A single story could speak for women who had experienced similar situations, and many women have. Though this was is true, it was made very clear that every women has her own story to tell and every woman is unique. This production was about celebrating womanhood and combating the forces oppressing women. I was able to cry and laugh along with many other women. This was a play in which is brought women together and taught the broader audience about real lives.
I had never been to a production that was so forward with the vocabulary about women and the issues surrounding women as a whole. Hearing the word cunt being promoted was quick a shock. This section of the play used very loud vocals and humor to display the previously unrealized impression that cunt can mean. I think that it was really neat to see this section most because in every other context I have heard cunt mentioned, it was in a very negative, derogatory meaning.

I really enjoyed being part of such a personal experience in which women come publicly to speak about the incidents that they had to deal with, the good and the bad. Women in the audience were able to rejoice and weep together.
I think that this is an event that everyone should attend because so many women have stories to tell, and without witnessing the telling, the stories will go untold. I enjoyed the production also because I was able to leave more knowledgeable than I had come. I was able to share the wealth of knowledge I had gained with friends. I think that it is important to pass on stories indirectly as well as witnessing things first hand, because the information can spread so much faster and across a more broad audience. It works sort of like the Pay It Forward movement; in the idea that when you pass something on to someone else, that person passes it on to three others, and so on. This is a powerful movement. Though it works better in theory than in reality, the spread can be quite rapid. It is exciting that knowledge can spread about such an important cause by word of mouth. Attending events like this is important for people of all genders, ages, races, classes, etc.

The Vagina Monologues was a powerful event to attend because of the young and admirable women on stage and the stories they were telling. I can’t wait to go again next year.