« oliver monster for a less gender stereotyped youth | Main | My American Doll Life »

"The Only Girls With A Passion For Fashion!" Bratzlogo.jpg

* The dolls are marketed online at their fully interactive website www.bratz.com. The dolls aren’t sold directly from the site, they are, instead hyped up with their pictures plastered all over the place with links to how one can buy on from a retailer near by. These dolls are definitely marketed to the young ‘valley girl’ type. These dolls are only interesting in fashion, pampering puppies, and now, a Bratz fantasyland with their new breed of Pixie dolls. These dolls are not sold with a price tag, no, that is too old school, these dolls are sold with a lifestyle with a price tag on it, it’s just that that price is not relevant.

* A huge majority of the Bratz dolls are female; there are three male dolls that I came across: One older father figure and two boyfriend material dolls, all three of the males dolls are White. There are four main dolls. Two White, One Black American, One Asian, and one that is definitely not White, but she is hard to categorize specifically, I would say she is Middle Eastern or Persian. All of the dolls are wealthy or at least well-off enough to afford their pretty outfits and expensive accessories. I assume all of the dolls are “hetero-normative,? for every girl there is a boy, but the coupling is not so visible, it is just understood that the dolls are heterosexual; it is a hidden underlying rule. I assume that the Bratz company doesn’t do much with sexuality and relationships because the parents of the companies’ target audience would not be happy with their 6 year old daughters thinking about boyfriends just yet, much less a same sex relationship.

* Bratz has different dolls to appeal to different age groups.
Teen: Bratz-Diamondz-Large.jpg

Kidz: Kidz_group.jpg

Baby: Babyz.jpg

They have the most popular ones that look about 13-18, and then younger ones that look about 6-9, and then even younger that look around 8 months to 3 years old. Of course, all of then have beautiful long shiny smooth hair, fashionable accessories to go with every stage of life, and a fully makeup’d face. It was kind of weird, it was like some weird photo album of the Bratz dolls and how they have grown up. Upon further investigation of the different types of dolls I discovered that there was indeed a sporty or athletic selection of Bratz, of course they were all so pretty and decked out from head to toe in their awesome accessories.

* I was annoyed by the website. It had loud pop music, tons of flash and java scripts written all over the website that made my computer slow down so much and the dolls themselves all looked like they have had cosmetic surgery. I can definitely see that these dolls will have an adverse affect on young impressionable girls who will grow up absolutely surrounding my images of the perfect body, what the good hair is, and how skin colors are categorized,. My first exposure to Bratz dolls was about 4 years ago, right after they first were released. My little cousin had a couple of them and I thought that they look rather deformed. Sure they were no Barbie, but still, they look so bobble-headish. I wasn’t surprised or angered, just a little disappointed in the lack of diverse representation, or maybe just that I couldn’t identify personally with any of the dolls. I barely identified with Yasmin only through her ethnic name, other than that, there isn’t anything else.

*All of the dolls represented my hair texture, and there was one doll that was darker skinned, Sasha, who was I think the African American doll. I am not African American but she did kind of have my skin color. I believe Yasmin could pass for a Middle Eastern girl, so I guess I could identify with her. I found a picture of the dolls dressed up in ethnic garb.

BratzGenieGroup.jpg

It looks like the dolls were dressed in a flamingo, Gypsy, genie, tribal and belly dancer style…I thought it was cute and if I had to buy my daughter a Bratz doll, I would have bought her one of these.

According to the quiz on the website, “Which Bratz Are You Most Like?? I am Yasmin.
F06_DmndDoll_026_184.jpg
Who according to the website is “a little quiet, but even without opening her mouth you can sense she’s special. There’s just something about her that seems almost regal. But Yasmin’s not pretentious! She ‘s really open-minded she’s always up on alternative trends in fashion, fitness and beauty!? Because I am “always out ‘n’ about and know how to have a scorchin’ good time. [I] love to read and write and [I am] ‘in the know’ of everything that’s going on. [I am] ambitious and have the smarts to go far, but like to keep it real with [my] gal pals who know they can count on [me] to be true. I thought the quiz was quite funny and soooo accurate! Yasmin is definitely the doll for me! I mean, I am like totally always up on the alternative trends in fashion, fitness, AND beauty. Oh, Bratz…
RockAngelz_Group.jpg

yes, i noted in another post's comments that my daughter has TONS of these (mostly from gifts). we even have a Bratz playstation game - no big action, really slow walking (you hear the click-clack of high heels on the pavement) or the character and rollerblade (quite slowly). you go on missions - fashion, striking poses for modeling, photos, etc... scary stuff.

Hello ! Very nice site.

i like bratz those are my favorites i have so much i cant even count them i love them because they inspoere me because it is fun playing it and learning more about bratz

hi this is andrea i like this site vevry nice i also like bratzs even thoe i have 2 of them im lookin foward of geting more for chrismas i hope u send me one please i will be happy and thankyou

They can save bratz the movie

hbao.

i just luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv bratzzzzzzzz.i get them 4 my birthday.i do have the play station and i luv it.specially the part of choosing a pet.i hav the movie and i cant help wacthing it reapetedly.i luv it!!!!!!!!!

tung hej jeni ma te mirat

ypon/gpb,/.t-hp[t-yoj7-ujp]45-78

this is the best bratzs I ever had

you make me sick. its toys like this that gave a warped image of beauty and a life time of insecurities. Babies dont wear mascara and we shouldnt be encouraging ten year olds to dress like whores. thanks to Bratz we can look forward to many more eating disorders and fucked up teens.

its so beautiful bratz..

this is the best bratz for me

ilove bratz because is beautiful

I like you bratz bratz girl cd dvd

i like you bratz

I love bratz. u may think I am to old to hav bratz but they are cool. from their fashion to their style. It is not just about how they were make up and stuff but it is about style and personaltity. I think whoever wrote this needs to get there facts straight cuz bratz are here to stay. BRATZ ARE # 1 !!!!!!!!!!

i love the babby bratz / bratz kidz

P.S. GO GIRL

coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

koooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
kat

i don't carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

i love chrisbrown because he is so fine and i love his songs a lot BY;KYDIRA

bratz jeni me te mirat do te doja qe te isha si ju ju jeni te bukura dhe me shum mend jeni te pa arritshme.

OMG i love bratz so much every 1 sez im wierd coz im 12 nearly 13 and i like all the bratz stuff n all yeah bratz rox

i love your style!

I have all the forever diamondz. The bratz can sing and they rock. I love bratz and i have 42. I'm gonna get three more sport dolls and then that'll make 45. I got the first one Cloe from Toyworld.

i just got cross signature

i just got cross signature

bratz our so cool! i wish i could be the awesome Yasmine yaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh send a message back please!p.s thanks alot!!!!!!!!

hi i love bratz all of my friend call me yasmin coz i look like her i am there number one fan i have met them i have got every singal doll there is who cool is that

bratz me pelqen stili juaj

bratz me pelqen stili juaj

dua barbit bratz

sfhssdfg

o bre bebat e vogla

Bratz are so cool! Anyone can enjoy playing with them! I do think they give kids a false inpression of life, but they're just a bit of fun! Brats rule!!!

i love bratz ! and most of all the bratz big babyz... they are awesome!!! but that picture of the little cloe, jasmin and jade ... are that the big ones? or the little bratz of ~ 6 cm

hola soy su fans las rrrerererrererrerer quiero

i love bratz is the best ever yasmin is the beuteful i want to now you bratz ...........................

Very beautiful! I like them too :)

¡amo a las bratzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

¡amo a las bratzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

¡amo a las bratzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

paula

i like you style from tahlia!!!!**

eu amo as beratz

dua qe ti njoh me shume bratz

siteniz çok güzel bir resim adım msn ekranima koydum. sizi cok seviyorum

Bratz are inaproppriate, ugly, and overly sexual. They cause anorexia,(Death in teenagers from starving themselves.) damage girls physical and emotional health, look like strippers, influence teenage births, tell girls that as long as your "hot" your cool, and have the proportion of a three year old but dress in clothes that if a 22 wore them her friends would say she looked sleazy. Believe me!!!

I luv bratz sooooo much thease r the best bratz i have ever seen well at lease the kidz r! oh and im YASMAINS #1 FAN I LUV U YASMIN

hi mi name is simone n iam 12 n me n mi sister have all of yo toys mi sister play with them but i keep them n the box so if i have kids they can no what the bratz was like

i am a big fan of bratz . ido have cloe and yasmin but i am going to collect all of the four .my favourite bratz girl is yasmin and jade

ej bratz shum mir po shkoni kisha dasht qe me pas ma shum menura me ju njoft jam adhuruse e medhe e jueja

I love bratz jeni ma te mirat ma e mira per mua është jade tani cloe tani sasha ose yasmin

COOL.... i like bratz gggiirrllzz ,but .....never mind.please put more pictures on this site.

ja volim bratz djevojke.bas su super gledam ih svaki dan .iako neznas moj jezik sigurno reci cu ti na engleskom:i like bratz girlz! molim te mozes li staviti vise slika iz filma mislim da bi mi vise odgovaralo to da vidim nego samo lutke.please.pusach

your sincerely:jasmina

i love you

hej brazt jeni me te miret tung veqv kush ja ka inati

hej bratz ju dua shum i love you tungggggggggg

MIN@ MIN@ MIN@ MIN@

D@D@ COOL BRATZ

FLAMI I

AMILA
BRATZ
BELMA

878428754845484587
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

062157255

Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
ĆĆ
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć
Ć

BRATZ COOL

16 : 55

IKIKIKIK

BELMA BABO MAMA

BELMA BABO MAMA

VVINX BRAJ

very nice site
i enjoy it
email yeakubhasan@gmail.com

shum te mira jeni bravo ju qoft

Hi there, I had been in search of GWSS 1001 - Gender, Power, and Everday Life: "The Only Girls With A Passion For Fashion!" after i included your blog. Say thanks for sharing this good data. Knowledge!

It’s truly a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

very good post, i certainly love this website, keep on it

Hi there I am so delighted I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb work.

I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!