« RACE exhibit | Main | An Inspirational Woman... »

The Vagina Monologues

On February 15th, I attended the 8th Annual Production of “The Vagina Monologues� at the St. Paul Student Center. The production was sponsored by the Minnesota Public Interest Research Group (MPIRG). It is a “student run and directed non-profit, non-partisan organization … that focuses on Women’s Issues along with the environment, fair trade, homelessness, and affordable housing.� I went with a group of my girlfriends but I was pleasantly surprised to see how many men attended as well. There were also many ages which was also nice to see.

I have wanted to go to a production of “The Vagina Monologues� for some time now and I was so excited to hear that it was playing around Valentine’s Day. This production usually performs around this time because of “V-Day�. V-Day is a global movement that’s goal is to end violence against women and girls including rape, battery, incest, and sexual slavery.
The show consists of interviews from women of all ages, all nationalities. The issues discussed in this play range from personal hygiene, periods, masturbation, slang terms, domestic abuse, discrimination, governmental issues, childbirth, etc. This show touched on more subjects than I could imagine and walked out afterwards feeling that I learning a lot while still feeling entertained. One of the main focuses was sexual awareness in young women. Young girls are not informed about the bodies in practical terms (i.e. masturbation) and I think it is a real shame. Hopefully this show with help inform future generations of young girls about their bodies.
A very touching moment in the show was in the first act and the section was entitled “Say it, for the Comfort Women�. I never knew about the “Comfort Women�. They were young girls in Asia that were forced into sexual slavery during the war and they were forced into prostitution for the soldiers. This was an emotional segment because the government has never apologized or even acknowledged what happened. These women will soon be dead and all they want to hear is an apology. I cannot believe something like this would ever happen and it was a very shocking moment in the show.
Although there were some very intimate issues addressed in this production, I felt comfortable during the show. Although I did not know anyone there, there was a bond between the cast and the audience. You could relate to the material if you were a woman or if you had had any experience with women in your life. One of the goals of this show is to make people aware that “vagina� is not a bad word and we should embrace our bodies and be proud.
While this show had some great laughs and things that everyone can relate to, it was very educational. We need to talk about these things because that is the only way society can learn.