« Race Exhibit | Main | Location Exercise »

RACE- Respect All Colors Equally

I attended the Race Exhibit at the Science Museum March 9. I learned several facts about race issues that I never was aware of. I will share them here with all of you! A good starting definition of RACE is “respect all colors equally.? A part of the exhibit discussed how racism is in people’s heads. We are what make racism real. We, as a whole, can make a difference, but separating others out continuously does create true diversity- and can lead to harmful treatment. Why do we have to strive for diveristy when we are all the same?

Patricia J. Williams, a columnist and legal scholar wrote, “How can it be that so many well-meaning white people have never thought about it, when so few blacks pass a single day without being reminded about it??

Patricia was discussing how every day blacks are reminded they are black; whether it’s certain situations or ways they’ve been treated and that white people barely think about race every day.

In the context of this quote, I being white can agree that I barely think of racial differences. I am not trying to be one-sided or ignorant, but I am not affected by race as often– except in certain situations. I did think about it when I was in Chicago, because I was more of a minority on their “L-train? and it was interesting to be around people from the area.

Another quote said, “Labels don’t cause racism; they reflect it.? This quote is true as well, because saying someone is Black or Hispanic is not racist, but when used in derogatory ways – it can’t be hurtful.

“As long as the government keeps asking people about their races, Americans will always suspect that race plays a role,? Ward Connerly, chairman of the American Civil Rights Institute.

This has always bothered me. I never knew why anyone needed to know what race I was. In every questionnaire I’ve ever answered, even applying to the “U,? I never stated what race I was. I felt that I should be able to answer questions without people knowing what color of skin I have. Either I’m not going to be taken seriously because of my color, or my opinion is going to matter more than somebody else of a non-white color.

In the case of the “U,? I felt that I should be getting accepted based on my application and my grades, not because I was or wasn’t white. I know that the university was trying to be diverse, but accepting people based on color is a really crappy way of deciding who goes and who doesn’t go here.

Also, I’ve never understood why there is a scholarship for African-Americans (based solely on color) but because I am white, I am not allowed an application based on my color of the skin. These days, things need to not be so much about skin color. And I’m not trying to be ignorant in any way, things are unfair for everyone.

I know this was true because I know a girl who applied to the “U? and she didn’t get in because she got a letter stating they were trying for a more diverse university… meaning, it was color based.

Random facts that made my stomach ache were statistics on housing differences between blacks and whites. Between 1934 and 1962 (and I’m sure this statistic is different today) the federal government – through federal housing administration- insured $120 billion in new housing loans. Less than two percent of those loans went to non-whites.

I was shocked by the numbers. That means that white people were buying house after house between 1934 and 1962, and everyone else was merely paying rent somewhere.. or something else.

Also, the net worth of an average African-American family is 1/10 that of the average white family. This statistic shows that white people are still making more money and non-white people are still not living the same lives as white people.

A play I attended called “Voices Project? was a compilation of the Twin Cities youth’s perspectives, thoughts and words on race. Their debate was on what creates identity and told through their stories.

Many discussed several tribulations concerning how they feel everyday. An important factor was that non-whites did not recognize themselves on a day-to-day basis.

A fifth grader was first introduced to slavery in her history class and was angry that nobody else was mad when learning about the subject. Because it related to her race, she was completely distraught, but others in the class acted as though it was just another boring piece of history. This bothered the young student.

I’ll leave you with this quote.

“Most of the benefits of being white can be obtained without ever doing anything personally. Whites are given the privileges of a racist system, even if they’re not personally racist,? John A. Powell, legal scholar.

Buy Instead of Renting When You Have the Down Payment
By: Nando

After looking at all the costs involved in buying house, you may have begun to have second thoughts: Perhaps, it is better to rent a home.

Real estate in most areas today is not a top investment compared with investment securities. "You're not going to get a 30 percent return on your house," said Steve O'Connor, senior director of residential finance at the Mortgage Bankers Association of America. In the past decade, people have been advised to think of a home "as shelter not investment" O'Connor said. "Wealth accumulation is secondary."

Still, as shelter, most experts say if you can afford the down payment, it makes sense to buy your home rather than rent it. That's because you can deduct mortgage interest on income tax and build equity in your property. This is especially true when mortgage interest rates are low. Mortgage interest rates are deductible up to a $100,000 annual limit.

Example
A homeowner has a gross annual income of $40,000. The monthly mortgage payment is $1,000 on a 30-year mortgage. In the first few years, 80 percent of that payment goes to interest and is therefore tax deductible. In the 15 percent tax bracket, the homeowner saved about $375 more in taxes with the home provision versus with only a standard deduction.

Lease-Purchase Agreements
Some people take a middle road. They ease into homeownership by renting a house or condominium with an option to buy.

• Lease-purchase gives a buyer time to save for a down payment or to clean up a credit history.
• It can work in a buyer's favor in areas where real estate values are rising quickly at a rate of 10 percent a year. A buyer benefits from this appreciation because the purchase price of the home is locked in on the day the buyer signed the rent-to-own contract with the seller.
• In most agreements, the seller allows a portion of the rent to be applied towards the purchase price, which some lenders consider to be part of the down payment. The amount of rent credited could be 10 percent to 100 percent, based on your contract.
• Most rent-to-own options require some down payment to secure the agreement, which is not refundable in case the renter decides not to buy.

Homeowners who would agree to a lease-purchase option include people who have had property on the market longer than they wish or owners who had to move and want the house to be lived in. The owner benefits with rental income to help pay the carrying costs of the home, and the strong possibility of selling the house when the contract expires.

By: Nando

Example

Lease-Purchase Agreements