« Life Long Journey | Main | Semester Reflection »

Sex Ed

I was really interested in the group presentation last night on teaching sexual education in schools. When I was in fourth grade our parents got a letter explaining that sexual reproduction and puberty was going to be talked about to us. My parents signed me up. Parents could come to the discussions with their kids, and my mom joined in. In fifth grade we got a more detailed description of what actually is going on in your body and then in seventh grade we watched a movie of an egg being fertilized and then the baby growing and then the actual birth. As gross as a lot of this was to a kid in elementarty and middle school I felt that these classes were very important. One major aspect of high school sex ed that I found interesting was how my health classes didnt teach abstinence only. They told us that abstinence is the only way to avoid diseases and pregnancy but they also went into huge discussions about ways in which to protect yourself if you do decide to have sex. This I thought was great because the more you tell a kid NOT to so something the more they are going to want to do it. My high school even handed out condoms at prom. My mom has also been a huge part in this process. She made sex and puberty talks very comfortable. I still talk to her about problems. There are times we both say a little too much but I love knowing that I can go to her for anything I have questions about. She knows everything! I dont hide anything from her. I think its important for schools and parents to be open with their children about sex. I know that I learned a lot from my friends about sex but I feel that the most important information I learned from my classes and my mom.

I feel the same way.